• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rx5700 black screen on drivers instalation

Associate
Hi everybody,
Few days ago I purchased rx5700 red devil.
At first it worked perfectly well. Then I formated my current ssd.
From this point everything seems to be spiraling into the void.
I reinstall my windows 10 pro with no drivers on it. Then after successfully instalation of chipset drivers, every single time I'm trying to install rx5700 drivers I got black screen in a middle of installing it and then no monitor signal. I plugged the monitor via HDMI to VGA adapter. Previously that didn't seemed to have been a problem. It worked fine.
Pleas help me, if non of this help work I plan to send it as RMA. I appreciate all suggestions.

Whole system is completely new no nividia card has ever been installed to this moderboard. Bios seems to work fine.
Mobo: msi thomahawk b450 max
Psu:Corsair RMx 750W 80 Plus Gold
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Ram:HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Predator Black

Associate
OP
I have tried two other versions available in the instalation menu. Funny that previously when everything seemed to work well I had newest version installed.

Associate
You want to be using two seperate cables from the PSU.

Hi, 5700xt owner here. On 2019s last drivers mine works fine, but when you say separate PSU cables. Do you literally mean don't use the 8 and 6 pin power connection from the same lead. Use 1x 8 power connecter and then another 6x from a separate lead coming from power supply, but why, the manuals from any box or company AMD or otherwise haven't said this, other than making my case that more untidy is this likely to be a fix, if so why. I'm willing to try but will your fix make the 2020 drivers stop bsod or it has for you?

Associate
A PCI-E slot gives 75W of power and the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors give 75W and 150W respectively.
A 5700XT uses at least 225W, so really you need both a 6-pin and an 8-pin as well as the slot. So that's 75+150+75=300W, which is enough.
225W (or about 19 amp) over a single cable is ok, but then the card might use more than that. It's best practice to use two cables if possible, even if that doesn't fix the current problem.

Associate
A PCI-E slot gives 75W of power and the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors give 75W and 150W respectively.
A 5700XT uses at least 225W, so really you need both a 6-pin and an 8-pin as well as the slot. So that's 75+150+75=300W, which is enough.
225W (or about 19 amp) over a single cable is ok, but then the card might use more than that. It's best practice to use two cables if possible, even if that doesn't fix the current problem.

Thank you I understand a little more than I did before,

I own the Bitfenix Formula Series 550W
Performance: 550 W
+3,3V: 20 A
+5V: 20 A
+3,3V & +5V Combined: 100 W
+12V1: 25 A
+12V2: 25 A
+12V3: 30 A
+12V Combined: 550 W
-12V: 3,6 W / 0,3 A
+5Vsb: 12,5 W / 2,5 A
Connectors (Modular):
1x 20+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
1x 4+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
2x 6+2-Pin PCIe
6x SATA
2x 4-Pin Molex

I can confirm I have a 6 and an 8 already set up in the GPU and works well. Unless I open up my side I'm unsure if the power supply unit has another set of wires with another 6 or 8 pin,

To me it looked like you said you need to not use the same 6+8 daisy chained from one cable and use 1x6 or 8 from 1 cable then 1x8 or 6 pin from another cable coming from the psu. I don't know if my psu has 2x8 pin and 2x6 pin from different cables. I feel now that's what you suggest for best practice, I'll have a check later regardless but if all connecters come from the same psu surly there isn't much point? Or gain for that matter.

Associate
Yeah, I always use two GPU cables, for my 6+8 pin GPU.

Well I think my CPU has separate cables with 2x8 and 2x6 pin connectors. So I'll be doing that once I'm upstairs, I'm now starting to wonder if the new 2020 driver issues are software/power related after reading what @mikeyw85 said. Well both to you mikeyw85 and @rip-the-jacker I appreciate the information and help.

Associate
Remove the drivers via DDU, boot into safe mode without internet connectivity, then install new drivers.

Windows has a nasty habbit of installing grahic drivers without you knowing.

Associate
Remove the drivers via DDU, boot into safe mode without internet connectivity, then install new drivers.

Windows has a nasty habbit of installing grahic drivers without you knowing.

Done that many times. New drives still cause me the black screen. Just this week I had done a fresh install of win10 then the 2020 drivers. Still black screen. So had to ddu in safe mode. Though I've not heard anyone say install new drivers after the recommended restart from the ddu back to safe mode to install them. But I do take my ethernet cable out.

Soldato
Hi everybody,
Few days ago I purchased rx5700 red devil.
At first it worked perfectly well. Then I formated my current ssd.
From this point everything seems to be spiraling into the void.
I reinstall my windows 10 pro with no drivers on it. Then after successfully instalation of chipset drivers, every single time I'm trying to install rx5700 drivers I got black screen in a middle of installing it and then no monitor signal. I plugged the monitor via HDMI to VGA adapter. Previously that didn't seemed to have been a problem. It worked fine.
Pleas help me, if non of this help work I plan to send it as RMA. I appreciate all suggestions.

Whole system is completely new no nividia card has ever been installed to this moderboard. Bios seems to work fine.
Mobo: msi thomahawk b450 max
Psu:Corsair RMx 750W 80 Plus Gold
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Ram:HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Predator Black

Go to bios and set the PCIe to 3.0 not to Auto.

Back
Top Bottom