What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Man of Honour
A few of my friends growing up lived on farms and had quite a lot of land with woods/forests on them. I remember as a kid going out into those woods for as long as there was daylight building 'Dens' and 'Forts'

Do kids still do that today?
Yes I remember this too. I just lived in a normal suburb but there were some woods near us and my brother and I were always out there making forts. I think I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. I wouldn't ever consider allowing my kids to do the same at that age.

Associate
Yes I remember this too. I just lived in a normal suburb but there were some woods near us and my brother and I were always out there making forts. I think I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. I wouldn't ever consider allowing my kids to do the same at that age.

I spent the first 16 years of my life back and forth between the UK and Germany, moving every 3-4 years or so. I have fond memories of my time in Germany as that's where I got to experience a lot of outdoorsy type stuff. Luckily the places we were living were pretty rural so had the oppertunity. After moving back to the UK for the last time in 2000 when i was in my mid teens I started doing the usual teenager type stuff (drinking/smoking and generally being a nuisance).

As you say, I dont think I could bring myself to let my Daughters leave the street at such a young age let alone off into a forest/wood several miles away from the house.

Soldato
I don't think there is a guy my age who hasn't put a football through a window at least once. It's like one of the steps on the way to manhood.

Probably harder now with everything having double glazing :D

Soldato
There was a Yo-Yo craze in the early 90's because Coke has this promotion, that's when i was introduced to them

I won my Coke gold and white special edition yoyo by entering the comp in our local shopping centre. If I recall you had to pull off three separate tricks, mine being walk the dog, round the world and rock the cradle.

If I tried them today would probably end up killing some poor soul :D

Soldato
For me it was:

Tamagotchis
Super soakers
Pokemon cards
Proyo Yo-Yos
Pogz
Those jelly aliens in an egg that supposedly gave birth to more but never did.

I now want to get a yo-yo *runs to amazon*

Soldato
Walkmans that could only fast forward - You had to take the tape out and flip it over to rewind it.
Could you imagine giving a teenager a cassette player these days and telling them they got wind the tape back and forward to get to their Favourite songs :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Knock and Run.
Fireball jawbreakers.
Chocolate cigarettes.
Kingy (at school in the yard).
British bulldog (at school in the yard).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom