• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Out of the CPU world for so long... help!

Associate
I upgraded my development about 3 months ago my workstation was an i5 4460 and it was getting sluggish and I needed an upgrade on a budget. I went for an Ryzen 3600 and b450 tomahawk max with 16gb ram and a nvme boot drive. Spent about £350 reused my existing psu/case and SSD's and its amazing performance and will keep me going for a few years.

Xon

Xon

Associate
OP
So the B450MAX MSI is recommended for future proofing correct? How about the X570 chipset then?

Main reason is the B450 MAX does not seem to come in ITX!

Soldato
So the B450MAX MSI is recommended for future proofing correct? How about the X570 chipset then?

Main reason is the B450 MAX does not seem to come in ITX!

I went for X570 for longevity despite the higher cost. PCIE 4.0 is going to last some time before it becomes a bottleneck. I can see the argument for B450max then upgrade again when AM5 hits. I just have a longer upgrade cycle.

Soldato
If you want to later upgrade CPU to high end model like 12 core from discounts Tomahawk would need some case airflow.
VRMs are older design with lower efficiency and 100+W CPUs are approaching upper end of VRM's "comfort zone" pushing it to put out more heat.

£200 level X570 boards have stronger and higher efficiency VRMs more capable to handling 12 cores without sweat.
Unless it's MSI in which case it's got same copypasta VRM...
MSI went from B450 hero to plain zero in X570, while B450 zeros aka Asus and Gigabyte turned their ships around.

Soldato
B550 will be out in a matter of weeks I think.
More likely in Computex.
There's just no good events for products announcements now that CES is over.
To get something to shops instantly after announcement pre-production models should be starting to do rounds now.

Back
Top Bottom