Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
so I came to end of my 12 month contract and was looking forward to good negotiation with my service.
I don't need to the tv any more so just wanted to have a broadband and phone.

well the rep told me that losing the tv part of the deal would have me paying 50p more and there was no negotiation what-so-ever.
he didn't seem to grasp the idea of not having to pay for a tv license would offset that completely and when I played what I thought would be my trump card 'better arrange disconnection then' he didn't hesitate and said 1 months notice is in operation now.
so I am now on my way to Origin.

Soldato
so I came to end of my 12 month contract and was looking forward to good negotiation with my service.
I don't need to the tv any more so just wanted to have a broadband and phone.

well the rep told me that losing the tv part of the deal would have me paying 50p more and there was no negotiation what-so-ever.
he didn't seem to grasp the idea of not having to pay for a tv license would offset that completely and when I played what I thought would be my trump card 'better arrange disconnection then' he didn't hesitate and said 1 months notice is in operation now.
so I am now on my way to Origin.

You'll get a call back from them in the next couple of weeks, the people you speak with initially are pretty limited in what they can do. The retention's team that calls people back can do a lot more, I 'cancelled' a few months back and received a phone call with a much better offer the next day.

Soldato
Pretty sure the key thing now is to actually cancel it.

Worst case you get to apply for new customer offers after 1 month of being away. Best case they make an effort to call you with a better offer.

No point rewarding them by proving that you're incapable of actually leaving them.

Associate
I'm going to have to look into this myself - Currently paying £63.99 for 350MB and a phone (which I don't use). From the replies it looks like I may end up actually having to cancel and re-order to get anything close to the new customer deal. What a disgrace. Wish NI had better providers.

Associate
I'm going to have to look into this myself - Currently paying £63.99 for 350MB and a phone (which I don't use). From the replies it looks like I may end up actually having to cancel and re-order to get anything close to the new customer deal. What a disgrace. Wish NI had better providers.
I cancelled, and then retentions phoned me back with 34/ month for just the 350mb broadband, and no phone

Soldato
Ok guys I AM going to pull my finger out and do this. I've been with VM for over 6 years now, with no changes to my account, apart from the usual price increases.

Currently paying £67 for Fun TV, 150M internet, Talk weekends. Not too fussed about a big TC package, never use my landline. It's mainly broadband I use.

The current equivalent is £33 a month (12 months), then £64.

I won't bother with trying to ask to to lower it, I guess they might be a few quid if I'm lucky. If I say cancel, how long until my services would actually be cut? I presume retentions would call back before that?

I only ask as I have the worst luck with this, and I bet they don't call back and then I'm stuck with no services. And unfortunately as I'm in a new estate wired for VM, they really are the best to go for.

Soldato
Ok guys I AM going to pull my finger out and do this. I've been with VM for over 6 years now, with no changes to my account, apart from the usual price increases.

Currently paying £67 for Fun TV, 150M internet, Talk weekends. Not too fussed about a big TC package, never use my landline. It's mainly broadband I use.

The current equivalent is £33 a month (12 months), then £64.

I won't bother with trying to ask to to lower it, I guess they might be a few quid if I'm lucky. If I say cancel, how long until my services would actually be cut? I presume retentions would call back before that?

I only ask as I have the worst luck with this, and I bet they don't call back and then I'm stuck with no services. And unfortunately as I'm in a new estate wired for VM, they really are the best to go for.

What about cancelling, signing up for a temporary or rolling contract with a another company and 1 month later call virgin and ask them what they have.

If they phone up with an offer you win and if they ignore you, you continue and reset your new customer status.

Soldato
Notice period is 30 days, you can either have it shut off before that and pay the difference or do the full 30 days. After 30 days you can go through another credit check etc. and get new customer offers, prior to that it’s pot-luck as to callbacks, they will be attempted, but no guarantee they catch you.

Soldato
Cancel it, it will be fine and retentions will phone you within days. I think I had exactly the same package as you for 70 a month and I did exactly that and now its 45 a month, I had to cancel to get that after being told there was nothing they could do.

Worse worse case you sign up again the next day but I really don't think that will happen.

Associate
just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied - was kinda expecting 'oh you must have a crap customer for them to let you go so easily' but everyone has been so helpful.

I really dislike companies like this dangling teaser offers and then trying to screw us once the contract ends.
wouldn't it be lovely to find a company that just gives a reasonable contract price permanently?

one thing I will say about Virgin was the free 50 to 100mb boost a short while ago.

as for contact with retentions - so far nothing.
and tbh that is fine as I am now going to move for definite to Origin.

Soldato
just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied - was kinda expecting 'oh you must have a crap customer for them to let you go so easily' but everyone has been so helpful.

I really dislike companies like this dangling teaser offers and then trying to screw us once the contract ends.
wouldn't it be lovely to find a company that just gives a reasonable contract price permanently?

one thing I will say about Virgin was the free 50 to 100mb boost a short while ago.

Sadly, people are generally stupid enough to fall for ‘Sale’ marketing. As we can’t legislate against stupid, that leaves market legislation. The danger of ‘fixed prices’ is that you either go back to a separate install charge, or you accept that you will pay more each month for life to allow for the initial install cost as the supplier has to recoup it in the contract period and you legislated they can’t reduce or increase pricing as dice price means fixed price.

At present you have a choice, if you choose to stay in a 30 day rolling contract and have the flexibility to leave, but you pay retail pricing, if you are willing to take a contract, you get discounted contract pricing. If you don’t like those options you can move.

Soldato

What Origin package are you getting?

Soldato
Install last Friday (M350 & Phoneline - £37/month plus £140 TopCashBack) went fairly smoothly - brought cable in from street, under driveway gates and clipped to my boundary wall - then tacked neatly to the entrance point where it terminates at a sleek outlet behind my media units (exactly where I'd asked - next to the downstairs router).

Spent an afternoon consolidating connections and tidying network gear (VM Modem, TP-Link Archer C7 & two 8 port POE Gigabit Switches (consoles & CCTV), before connecting everything up.

My PC (1m CAT6A to router) is getting 392Mb Down, 38Mb Up, with a latency of 17ms (which surprised me).

My Boy's PC (CAT6A to Tenda AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Adaptor - same ring) is maxing out at 62Mb/s, 21ms ping - I'm probably expecting too much of the Powerline Adaptor..?

What I'm most impressed by is how well all the wireless devices cope - 3x Fire Tablets, 2x Samsung Tablets, 3x Fire TV sticks, an Xbox One & Switch, plus various smartplugs.
No one is complaining of buffering, lag or lack of speed anymore - which is exactly why we made the switch.

Forgot to grab Speedtest results from hardwired gear yesterday, but here's the WiFi downstairs:

Virgin M350 WiFi 5Ghz https://imgur.com/a/Tjlayav

Soldato
My Boy's PC (CAT6A to Tenda AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Adaptor - same ring) is maxing out at 62Mb/s, 21ms ping - I'm probably expecting too much of the Powerline Adaptor..?

Powerline unfortunately doesn't live up to it's claimed speeds in many situations, if they need more then ideally a cable or possibly wifi depending on the situation may be better.

Associate
Im currently paying £50 for 350mb/phone and lowest tv package (with v6 box) - my contract is coming to an end, what should I be looking for? What are people with similar package managing to get?

I'd be happy to drop both TV and Phone, but last time around it was actually cheaper to get the 3 services (go figure...).. I can get FTTP BT (300mb?), but they seem quite pricey aswell.. I rather stay with Virgin as I constantly get the full advertised speed.

Soldato
Im currently paying £50 for 350mb/phone and lowest tv package (with v6 box) - my contract is coming to an end, what should I be looking for? What are people with similar package managing to get?

I'd be happy to drop both TV and Phone, but last time around it was actually cheaper to get the 3 services (go figure...).. I can get FTTP BT (300mb?), but they seem quite pricey aswell.. I rather stay with Virgin as I constantly get the full advertised speed.

My friend just renewed with BT (50Mb) and they've offered an Xbox One X plus £30 a month off the bill...

Soldato
Is there any consensus on best wifi router to use with the Hub 3.0? Networking lingo goes over my head somewhat, but just want something better than the Hub 3.0 as fed up with the wifi drop outs. My Ring doorbell has never played nice with my wifi. Don't really have set budget, but anything up to £100-150 is OK if it works.

Back
Top Bottom