What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Soldato
Had one, with the 'in' thing of the time a speaker siren that made the police, ambulance sounds. The little yellow or white ones for those that remember.

Oh yes, yellow one here with a switch that toggled betwixt police, ambulance and fire and a little red button that was used to activate it. Also dynamo lights, whatever happened to them?

Associate
Not just any BMX though, it had to be the Mag Burner. This one though seems to missing the obligatory and all important trick nuts.

DOsN3x8.jpg

Bloody hell, I had one of these, that's a blast from the past! I would love one now (as a display piece). I remember going out on Xmas day and promptly crashing within 2 minutes (I still blame the tyres, frosty ground :D). Mongoose BMX's were also highly rated/sought at the time?

Garbage Pail Kids
Spud Guns/Pea Shooters (Progressed to BB guns during later teens and... promptly banned for obvious reasons!)
Tamiya RC cars, banned as pupils were going home with an (expensive) car which had been totaled during break time.
Yo-Yo's
Panini sticker books
Rapsies (Bloody Knuckles)
British Bulldog
Hacky Sacks were a fad:

Last edited:
Associate
When Rambo First Blood came out there was a period at school when everyone was carrying round 'Rambo' knives, about 6 inch long blade with a serrated back (saw) and a hollow handle with fishing twine, hook, compass etc in it.

It seems nuts in the current social climate, but at that time (about 1982) every 11 and 12 YO kid had one and no one blinked... except me, my parents wanted me to play with marbles instead.. kill joys.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't even allowed to take my phone to school in secondary school, yet a majority of everyone else did! I had that old pale green nokia that had snake and could make your own music on it.

Permabanned
Trackies/poppers

There were two types. The ones that would break away up to the waistband. And the ones that also broke away at the waistband. The latter were only ever worn once because your mates could tear them off you and take off running with them leaving you chasing them up the road in your underpants.

Permabanned
NAFFNAFF jackets
Football stickers
Pogs
Yo-Yos
Tamagotchis
Trackies/poppers
Born in the 80s.

There were two types. The ones that would break away up to the waistband. And the ones that also broke away at the waistband. The latter were only ever worn once because your mates could tear them off you and take off running with them leaving you chasing them up the road in your underpants.

I thought he meant the stuff you sniff to get high but apparently it was aimed for homos to relax the muscle. :eek:

Permabanned
I thought he meant the stuff you sniff to get high but apparently it was aimed for homos to relax the muscle. :eek:

Now I'm not sure if he is talking about trackies with popper breakaway buttons, or poppers as in drugs. The only group using poppers to get high when I was young was the gays, because butt sex. Everyone else smoked weed and did E.

Permabanned
I knew some dafties did poppers and I also know they were/still are not gays, then again they did the lighter fuel/gas too.

The way he has it in one part with / between it your probably right its clothing related never really been much of a trackie wearer /chav myself (as in wear all the time/ sleep in them). :D

P.S never had a shell suit either.

Soldato
Err I'm on about the trackie bottoms that had poppers up the side of the legs. I did not know about a drug called poppers in those innocent days.

Soldato
OP
Once in primary school i had a Gola tracksuit, if anyone remembers Gola? This was a weird green/grey mix and it was like colour changing in the light, it was HIDEOUS looking back on it.

Back
Top Bottom