How often do you re-adjust your spectacles?

Associate
Well, age has now fully caught up with me and getting glasses has definitely been a long time coming.

However, it turns out picking a pair of frames, getting used to your new likeness in the mirror and seeing the world in a squished down form of 4k is actually the easy part!

Getting the perfect comfortable position on your face and keeping them there is proving to be the real challenge!

I do quite physical work with lots of bending up and down which also involves pivoting my nugget along with the bending. This then results in me having to push the glasses back in the "perfect" spot constantly.

I've had them adjusted to fit tighter to the extent of them leaving to old goggle indentations on the side of my nose bridge..

Is this all normal?

Don
Is this all normal?

Not really. If properly adjusted there should be little movement, and they should also feel comfortable.

Minor indentations caused by nose pads are fine, as long as they aren't actually uncomfortable and digging in - swapping to Silicone nose pads instead of the normal plastic ones will make a difference, and may also help with "slippage".

If they are sliding off you face a lot, don't be tempted to pinch the nose pads inwards, it's more likely the arms need adjusting in towards the temples

Adjusting glasses seems to be a bit hit and miss at most of the common chains (e.g. Specsavers etc), just a case of who you see and how long they spend with you.

As @tedaC says though - it can be a case that some frames just don't work with your face (e.g. I tried a pair without nose-pads and no amount of adjustment would stop them from sliding down - they just don't fit my nose profile)

Associate
OP
Soldato
I have the soft silicon nose pads on my glasses which add grip without pinching. For gardening or any manual work involving bending over, I find those £5 elastic fabric sunglass straps work a treat.

Man of Honour
Largely I've not had that problem with properly adjusted pairs - even my backup pairs from a cheaper online place seem to stay put well enough from the odd time I've used them.

I've found oddly the wrap around style rather than the ones that go down behind the ears stay on my head better while not digging in.

Something I hate though is I find a style that suits me and I like but it has disappeared by the time I have to replace frames and increasingly a large part of the range of modern designs are horrific style for the sake of it and just look tacky.

Associate
OP
As @tedaC says though - it can be a case that some frames just don't work with your face (e.g. I tried a pair without nose-pads and no amount of adjustment would stop them from sliding down - they just don't fit my nose profile)

That might be it as mine do not have the pads..

W6U0w8N.jpg

Associate
OP
I have the soft silicon nose pads on my glasses which add grip without pinching. For gardening or any manual work involving bending over, I find those £5 elastic fabric sunglass straps work a treat.

I wonder if there's some type of silicone/soft rubber pads I can stick on the inner bridge of the frame?

Obviously transparent ones.. :D

Soldato
Spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch... In that order, from the least to the most frequently adjusted items! ;)

Both my pairs are just cheapy £20 Specsaver types with pads, but I'll usually only need to adjust them once or twice from the moment they go on to whenever I eventually take them off.

Soldato
Have only ever had nose-pads, mine a TPE plastic hyperallergenic vs. silicon, with sport use especially have to clean the pads every couple of months.
grip from ears/temples helps too,

that unobtanium stuff on the arms of oakley glasses would help too ... can you get that ?

Associate
OP
Have only ever had nose-pads, mine a TPE plastic hyperallergenic vs. silicon, with sport use especially have to clean the pads every couple of months.
grip from ears/temples helps too,

that unobtanium stuff on the arms of oakley glasses would help too ... can you get that ?

I'll have a look online to see what's available.

Don
That might be it as mine do not have the pads..

How long have you had them / where did you get them? Much better to take them back and get them put right, rather than relying on other "fixes"

If it's from Specsavers then you can return them and get something different with no issue within first 3 months (I had to do this with the pair I got without nose-pads, as I did ask at them at the time if they would be suitable for me)

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/how-are-your-new-glasses
What is the refund policy?

We want you to be completely happy with your purchase at Specsavers. If you have any concerns within three months of the date of purchase, we will put it right. No quibble, no fuss.

Soldato
I have adjustable nose pads (and always have) as they are the only option for the frame styles I like. I don't consciously know how often I arrange them, but I can headbang with the best of them without needing to worry about them coming off :)

Associate
Do a search on your favourite site for “keepons for glasses”. I use these, and they are perfect. They fit on the arms of the glasses and curl downwards behind the top of your ear, keeping the glasses in place no matter how much bending over or head banging you do. Nobody notices them unless you take your glasses off.

Associate
Without naming brands, I have a 'sports-orientated' pair of glasses which grip the sides of the head more so there's less pressure on the nose for support. I probably adjust them once or twice a day.

Caporegime
Never had a pair of Oakley frames that haven't stayed put or felt anything other than incredibly comfortable. Light too.

Both "sporty" and traditional frames, though I tend to go for half-frames on the lenses.

Back
Top Bottom