What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Caporegime
Coke ran a tournament in my local supermarket to win a golden yo yo and it drew quite a big crowd. My mother thought that playing video games on a Saturday afternoon was a waste but going up the town to watch someone swing a piece of plastic on a string about was apparently worthwhile.

They seemed to do that all over in shopping centres, win a "gold spinner" from the increasingly irritated Coca Cola YoYo rep. :p

Soldato
it's funny how some fads last and some are a blip. Skateboards took off massively and then faded away mostly but are still a big part of a niche culture, if that's not self-contradictory lol, but as a recent example - how massive a craze were fidget spinners? and now you never see one.

Associate
From my primary school days:

Top Trumps
Duncan Yo-Yos
Trim balls (a.k.a. lolo balls)....if you don't know what these are, be careful with your google searching....
Action Force
Fighting Fantasy books

Permabanned
it's funny how some fads last and some are a blip. Skateboards took off massively and then faded away mostly but are still a big part of a niche culture, if that's not self-contradictory lol, but as a recent example - how massive a craze were fidget spinners? and now you never see one.

The original skateboard craze in the 70's did and was those narrow plastic boards with plastic wheels that stopped dead on a small stone ands you flew off, it was not till the late 80's early 90's I seen the now familiar models that were wooden and broader and decent rubber wheels.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Let's see if anyone else remembers this playground game from the 1970's...

"I went to the shop and I bought some... sticky... sticky... glue!"

Soldato
Dolly whopping, clothes peg guns and the humble bogie - although this one looks a bit too 'state of the art' compared with my efforts...

lgWKx2C.jpg

Those were the days when the streets used to be filled with kids playing. If you didn't come home with snot running down your face, covered in mud and a cut knee you were sent back out and told to try harder! :p

Soldato
Catapults
Air rifles
And maybe just in Fife Crossbows

different times you’d have a police ARV hunting you down these days

Back
Top Bottom