Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

SPG

SPG

Soldato
80/20 Running, is great book for longer distances, well any distance and well worth a read (I am currently using one their Tri plans, hence all the stupid names on Strava, sorry all) after good progress with just the running side of things in the middle of last year.

Soldato
That explains a lot ;)

Keep looking at peoples odd names for activities and wondering whats going on.

Haha same here. I just let the auto import function name it for me!

I had my "running analysis" done on Wednesday. It involved around 5 minutes on a treadmill looking at form and then an assessment based on around 10 exercises.

It pretty much confirmed what i knew which is i have no co-ordination and very little ability to isolate muslces (activities involved stuff like stand on one leg and twist at the hip, to see if your knee/shoulders followed the movement).

I've not had the full results/breakdown yet, but it gave a rough idea of which areas i had different risk levels for injuries. From there they create an exercise plan to try and strengthen specific areas which should help with this.

I was also listening to a podcast the other day on the benefits/cons of barefoot running. The general aim was to try and run as if you're falling forward to avoid heel striking and trying to land towards the front of the foot. My only concern is the increased load this would have on other muscles so presumably something which should be integrated gradually.

Last edited:
Associate
Haha same here. I just let the auto import function name it for me!

I had my "running analysis" done on Wednesday. It involved around 5 minutes on a treadmill looking at form and then an assessment based on around 10 exercises.

It pretty much confirmed what i knew which is i have no co-ordination and very little ability to isolate muslces (activities involved stuff like stand on one leg and twist at the hip, to see if your knee/shoulders followed the movement).

I've not had the full results/breakdown yet, but it gave a rough idea of which areas i had different risk levels for injuries. From there they create an exercise plan to try and strengthen specific areas which should help with this.

I was also listening to a podcast the other day on the benefits/cons of barefoot running. The general aim was to try and run as if you're falling forward to avoid heel striking and trying to land towards the front of the foot. My only concern is the increased load this would have on other muscles so presumably something which should be integrated gradually.

Where did you get the analysis done? Would be interested in something myself.

Soldato
@Ian_Eb

Guess what i've ended up with.... :rolleyes:

vTvJ46F.png

Can't decide if i like it or not. It seems to disconnected from my phone a lot which is hugely annoying, although that was most frustrating when trying to set up and have a play. It might be less annoying when in regular use.

It has a lot of features i like and some i think will be brilliant the more i run, i just need to decide how much i'll miss the smart functions of my Apple Watch.

Associate
I turned off the "Lost Connection" warning on my Vivoactive3 as I don't really need to know, as long as it is working enough to sync.

Having said that, it only did that when I went out of range of the phone (Outside, in the car etc.)

Soldato
Weird, didn't get notifications on either thread! Grabbed your post from the purchases thread though

Will be interested to see how you find it. This is the one with music and pay, right? I assume music can't be synced through a subscription service and has to be loaded on as MP3's? I'd want to be able to play podcasts from it really. It would be nice being able to leave the phone at home, but it might be more hassle setting up each run/ride, than it's worth?

Yeah this has all that stuff, although to be honest that's also available on the lower models too. This is the "Pro" though which does allow many more songs to be synced. It works with Spotify, Deezer and Amazon music and i can sync playlists over onto it for playback whilst offline.

Will test that out properly when i go for a run tomorrow morning as it's one of the reasons i went for it (can't use Spotify without my phone on my Apple watch). I've now got 2 playlists loaded on with around 700 songs between them.

There's a third party app for Playlists too which i'll have a play with at some point too. There doesn't seem to be much quality control on the third party stuff so i'm always a little wary incase they cause huge battery drain.

It's weird not having a touch screen and is taking some getting used to. The menus also aren't very easy to navigate, i found this on the Vivoactive 3 and had hoped >2yrs later it might've improved. Again this might be because i'm used to the apple watch where the interface is pretty well designed!

Soldato
It works with Spotify, Deezer and Amazon music and i can sync playlists over onto it for playback whilst offline.

Oh wow, this is a bit of a game changer then! I didn't expect it would do this!? Mind you, podcasts are my preference. Can it sync Google Podcasts by any chance? I guess Spotify does podcasts these days...

Associate
There is an app for podcasts, but i'd imagine Spotify would be the best bet.

It can also sync over wifi, although that's limited to the Fenix 6 Pro i think rather than the cheaper models. There's probably cheaper ways to get podcasts on the go though!

The 945 has exactly the same functionality, slightly reduced battery life, for a bit less money in a lighter body (not as nice looking as the 6 pro imo). For me the lack of touchscreen is a bonus!

I charge it once a week and I run every day, with at least one of those runs being over 2 hours and with music.

Soldato
You know what doesn't sound fun!

Dear Martyn,

We're keeping a close eye on the weather forecast and will advise of any changes as confidence in this increases.

We're confident that Heversham Hobble will go ahead, but may need to make adjustments to the route avoiding unnecessary exposure to the weather.

Looks likely to be strong winds with heavy showers but the full extent of this is still to be seen. Full body waterproofs are mandatory to reflect this and we reccomend the use of goggles to protect your eyes. You can pick up a pair of safety googles online.

We will provide a further update along with final instructions by Friday.

Jeff, Bob & Ascend Team.

I have a decent waterproof coat but what on earth is covered by "full waterproofs"? I have some walking trousers which are waterproof but i'll roast to death in those!

Back
Top Bottom