3990 help :D

Associate
ok so i about to receive a 3990x. ive never had a ryzen before. my last build was a watercooled 3930k way back.

obviously its a massive investment ( im a 3d animator) so i dont wish to risk damaging the chip.

the multithreaded performance is just fine. however im wondering how i can improve the single/light threaded performance as much as possible? its the achilles heel (apart from price) of this processor.

any tips or advice most appreciated.

for example, is it possible to enable the autoOC +200mhz thingy without using PBO? (sorry if that doesnt even make sense.. its all currently new to me and i dont have the machine built yet.)

ive got an enormous external cooler (dual mora3) a 1600w psu.. however i only have a asrock creator motherboard, with 8 phase vrm.. maxes out at about 670 amps (so ive read.. theoretical limit is 720).

in any case, i dont think a boost to single core clock speed would be troubled by the board.

apart from being a beast.. this chip is particularly interesting since its the only ryzen3000 which is run way below max clocks, and at low voltage. so PBO has a really impressive effect.. i might have a play, but im gonna be very gentle.

Associate
OP
hopfully its a TRX40 vesion mobo you have, if not and you have a x399 version your new chip wont work, pin layouts were changed for the new threadrippers
Yes its the trx40. Buying the wrong motherboard would be quite a nooby step! The reason i chose that one, was my original choice of a 3970.. I changed cpu choice after everything had shipped. Its also ideal in other respects, atx size, space for 4 gpus..

Soldato
Yes its the trx40. Buying the wrong motherboard would be quite a nooby step! The reason i chose that one, was my original choice of a 3970.. I changed cpu choice after everything had shipped. Its also ideal in other respects, atx size, space for 4 gpus..

would have gone for this at £400- UK RMA as well incase anything goes wrong, asrock is EU . 840amps across the V-Core :D

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...i-socket-strx4-atx-motherboard-mb-585-gi.html

that mobo VRM runs the warmest and helps up if your going to overclock it. and if you do- custom 360 water set up!

Back
Top Bottom