Extending electrical cables

Associate
Hey guys, after recently having a new kitchen fitted i've been replacing all the old light and wall sockets with some newer brushed steel ones. All was going well until the last double socket where the live cable is just an inch too short to fit. Have any of you ever extended internal cabling before, and if so what did you use to join the cables? Or am i just best in getting a sparky to do it?

Soldato
I have plenty spare, ping me a trust message and I'll post you some cable. No point buying a roll if you only need a foot or so.

It always comes in handy though!

I had to buy some earth sleeving for when i swapped the previous owners dimmer switches for normal switches - they'd never sleeved them before. I only needed a few inches of the stuff, but everywhere i looked only sold it in lengthy roles. Ended up buying the cheapest i could find but a 20m reel. At least i know i have a supply for life :p:p

Soldato
Good shout, think i saw a pack of 10 on screwfix for £2.50. Another stupid question no doubt, but where can i buy a small amount of cable to use as the extension?

perhaps someone nearby has a skip and builders working
how about asking them? I find it so annoying when you need just half a metre and have to buy a 25m cable!

Soldato
A lot of computer power leads these days are 0.75mm² (1mm² at best), not what you want to use to extend a circuit thats at a minimum going to be in 2.5mm² and could even be in 4mm²! :O

No appliance lead is going to be 2.5mm², as it exceeds the spec for a standard plugtop (although it does go in fine if you dress it properly, and I have quite a few extension leads made of 2.5mm 3C flex)

Back
Top Bottom