• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 9 3900X vs 3950X

Associate
Hi,

Between the 3900X and the 3950X which one should I get? I will probably end up pairing it with an Aorus Xtreme and I only really game. I don't do any editing or anything like that.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi,

Between the 3900X and the 3950X which one should I get? I will probably end up pairing it with an Aorus Xtreme and I only really game. I don't do any editing or anything like that.

Thanks.

If you ONLY game save money and buy 3800x or 3700x, but if you have money to burn it would be criminal not to pair Aorus Extreme with a 3950x. If you can't afford 3950x then 3900x it is.

quite simple its more E-peen than performance gains oh get some good cooling you will need it.

Soldato
Hah, okay. I'll probably go for the 3900X then. You mentioned cooling - would the Noctua NHD-15 do a good enough job? I presume it would.
I'm going to be water cooling mine I always water cool my own pc theres a 3900x thread in the cpu section if you ask in there theyll tell you everything you need to know havent got mine yet

Soldato
Honestly if you just game I would get a 3600 if you upgrading now to tie you over and then see what the 4000 series brings in terms of improvement, you wont be missing anything really at moment to be on a 3600 if you are just gaming and the upgrade in 9 months would likely make more sense or if games over the next year make better use of more cores then the 3950x would be reduced by then probably closer to the 3900x price.

Caporegime
Honestly if you just game I would get a 3600 if you upgrading now to tie you over and then see what the 4000 series brings in terms of improvement, you wont be missing anything really at moment to be on a 3600 if you are just gaming and the upgrade in 9 months would likely make more sense or if games over the next year make better use of more cores then the 3950x would be reduced by then probably closer to the 3900x price.

Indeed.

Soldato
It depends. If you want to fine tune then the 3950X seems to have a edge and offers more longevity. If it’s just for gaming I’d probably look at 3800X and pair it with some 4000 viper memory.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I’ll probably do some RAM overclocking but not much - I won’t be aiming to beat any records.

I’ve seen the 8Pack RAM. It’ll probably be a contest between those and the Vipers as they both seem like pretty good RAM.

Soldato
Yeah, I’ll probably do some RAM overclocking but not much - I won’t be aiming to beat any records.

I’ve seen the 8Pack RAM. It’ll probably be a contest between those and the Vipers as they both seem like pretty good RAM.

Ryzen will run just about any memory at 3600-3800. You don’t need to spend a lot to hit that kind of performance. The kits with profiles are useful if you just want to set toggle and be done.

Soldato
Unless you are a keen over-clocker squeezing every last bit from all components and aestheics for you are very important - do you really need a £750+ motherboard? Don't get me wrong it's gotten everything on it and will probably fair well in a Ryzen 4000 comes. But unless you are an overclocker you could get a decent X570 MOBO for less.

You seem that you like the best and so for gaming I think the 3900X is plenty and a motherboard with maybe a decent soundcard if you need one.

What you'd save getting a 3900X and a say X570 MOBO by ASROCK TAichi would save you £700 which would lend itself to half the cost of the most expensive 2080ti, or most of a cheaper one if you are a gamer or a very good monitor.

Associate
OP
I’ve since changed my mind on the motherboard and will probably go with the Aorus Master instead, as it is half the price. Because I’ve never had an AMD system before I think I felt slightly overwhelmed in the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom