When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Instead of just saying something which is generally incorrect and completely unsubstantiated why don't you actually back up your opinion with some evidence?

Wow, are you crazy? Evidence to back up from the random spouting of some bloke on the internet, who constantly makes pointless comments about something they know nothing about. :D

Soldato
Gold is needed for the HV circuitry.

The entire electronics industry represents ~9% of the annual demand for Gold.

BEVs will barely move the needle. Gold is such a small part of the bill of materials that it isn't even listed in, for example, life cycle studies.

Soldato
Don’t you just love the irony of Nasher posting about EVs causing gold shortages on a computer/consumer electronics enthusiast forum? :D

If your worried about gold I’d suggest you stop being computers, phones and tablets!

Soldato
It's not really 80%. No power station is even close to 80% efficient (the world record is only something like 62% but they don't normally run that high). Then there is the loss of actually sending the power across the grid and to the car, which is quite a bit.

The EV at the end of the line appears more efficient, but it's not generating the power itself (like in petrol/diesel) so OFC it would.

Power stations don’t use electricity as fuel...

Soldato
Wow, Nasher still telling us how EV's are going to be impossible.

I'm just back from a 3 day long 350 mile road trip (for work) in my EV, which according to all the 'experts' should be absolutely useless by now. Less convenient than doing it in a diesel perhaps - but after having to experience Guildford rush hour and endure the horrific fumes of 3 lanes of angry, queuing rush hour traffic - I can't wait till all cars are like it.

Soldato
OOI - One measure of generation efficiency is the cost to generate the electricity ... seems to be ~
£50 Mwhr onshore wind £100 offshore, £100 nuclear , (or, in the usa, ignoring co2, $50gas) ... so if we accept wind power in the back garden, ev travel cost halved !
.... the usa must have some economic advantage of their recidivism.

Soldato
Probably the public charging mess. That seems to get a lot of attention in the video and comments.

With Shell Recharge, InstaVolt and Engenie already using card payment, and with BP ChargeMaster adding it as an option on all of their rapid chargers by summer this year, payment should be a lot easier.

I suspect it's going to take legislation to force Ecotricity, Ionity, and the smaller regional networks to comply.

Ecotricity remain the bane of EVs, with an exclusivity agreement on MSAs and seemingly zero intention of investing in improvements (speed, reliability, number of chargers, even out-of-hours customer service would be nice...). But that's for MSA operators to sort out, I guess. Without significant investment in charging infrastructure, how many EV drivers are going to want to stop at an MSA in 5-10 years?

Last edited:
Soldato
The video highlights proliferation of unused tesla chargers ... do tesla finance them completely ?
since otherwise, looked like some were in Waitrose, it is very short sighted for them/Waitrose to finance non general purpose chargers.

... would the rows of tesla chargers(& in general) actually support a max charging rate if all the bays were full ... or, should you really think, that charge station is 80% full, go elsewhere.

Soldato
The video highlights proliferation of unused tesla chargers ... do tesla finance them completely ?
since otherwise, looked like some were in Waitrose, it is very short sighted for them/Waitrose to finance non general purpose chargers.

... would the rows of tesla chargers(& in general) actually support a max charging rate if all the bays were full ... or, should you really think, that charge station is 80% full, go elsewhere.

It's Oxford services, lol :p

Waitrose, hahaha

Soldato
The Tesla Supercharger situation is a very interesting one. People won't buy an EV unless they can charge it quickly and conveniently. So Tesla invest in a Supercharger network. Now as an ICE driver I don't actively look out for EV charge points on my travels but I always seem to come across them and there are always free bays ready to use (despite people parking there Ford Focus, Kia Optima or Kia Picanto in them for the LOLs as I most recently experienced at a motorway services :confused: ).

Will these superchargers always be Tesla only though? I assume they will as they put the investment in? I doubt we'll see it but what if every manufacturer did that? It would be chaos!

Wow, Nasher still telling us how EV's are going to be impossible.

I'm just back from a 3 day long 350 mile road trip (for work) in my EV, which according to all the 'experts' should be absolutely useless by now. Less convenient than doing it in a diesel perhaps - but after having to experience Guildford rush hour and endure the horrific fumes of 3 lanes of angry, queuing rush hour traffic - I can't wait till all cars are like it.

I'd be interested to see how that trip looked from the point of view of where you were going from and to with the required stops along the way.

Soldato
The Tesla Supercharger situation is a very interesting one. People won't buy an EV unless they can charge it quickly and conveniently. So Tesla invest in a Supercharger network. Now as an ICE driver I don't actively look out for EV charge points on my travels but I always seem to come across them and there are always free bays ready to use (despite people parking there Ford Focus, Kia Optima or Kia Picanto in them for the LOLs as I most recently experienced at a motorway services :confused: ).

Will these superchargers always be Tesla only though? I assume they will as they put the investment in? I doubt we'll see it but what if every manufacturer did that? It would be chaos!

I believe some Tesla Superchargers are usable by non-Teslas and they're colour-coded as such. If they did open them up then I imagine they'd simply charger more for non-Teslas, though you may get a lot of complaints of their network is always full because of non-Tesla drivers; it's part of the reason you buy into them for the improved infrastrucure.

Soldato
I'd be interested to see how that trip looked from the point of view of where you were going from and to with the required stops along the way.

It was very much a journey of two halves :p

I started going from East Kent to Brighton. This was an absoltue worst case scenario. I had to do some drop offs first and I miscalculated my charge / didn't have time to get the car to 100% at home. I was driving against a hurricane, in the rain, while it's cold at night. Sometimes it's actually quicker to take 4 15 minutes stops and drive at motorway speed, than to make two 45 minute stops. The amount of extra charge you get after half an hour is minimal.

So, on my journey out I stopped 4 times at Folkestone, Maidstone, Clackets and then Pease Pottage. The first three I stopped for about 15 minutes to top up from ~30% to 70%. Enough time to go to the loo / get a coffee. Pease Pottage I stayed for about 50 minutes because the charger was on free vend - so I filled it to about 87%. I had my evening meal there. Got to my hotel in Brighton. Next day there was a bit of driving around in Brighton, then I headed up to Guildford. I stopped at Pease Pottage again for about 30 minutes - mainly because I knew it was on free vend. Then drove to Guildford where I wanted to try out one of the new Shell quick chargers - which worked great (using just a contactless card).

Driving around a bit in Guildford the next day - then headed home. On the drive home, I managed the journey with just two stops - Once at Clackets and Folkestone.

Next day was to Ashford. I only charged to 80% at home, then stopped for breakfast at Folkestone on the way and charged back up to 80% while I was there. Then drove to Ashford, and managed to get home again without having to charge again.

The way I normally drive is to have my phone satnav on an optimistic charge destination, and the cars satnav on a safe charge location. That way as I'm going I can determine whether I can make the further stop without running the car down to very low percentages - which I try to avoid to look after the battery.

All the chargers (bar the Shell one) I used were Ecotricity motorway fast chargers and they were all working fine. Nobody was queuing for the chargers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m currently charging at Gretna on the way home from Scotland. Fast and reliable chargers but expensive at full price. Top tip is to sign up for the German Maingau app and just register your U.K. bank account against it. You can then charge at 0.40 Euro per kWh vs the standard and hugely expensive 69p.

Also the Maingau app is slicker and easier to use than the IONITY one.

Back
Top Bottom