The Tesla Thread

Soldato
wrapped my middle console at the weekend - pretty happy with the results. Good quality 3M wrap from Abstract Ocean.

Next on the list when the weather is nicer is to switch out the horrible registration plates/holders for stick on ones.

Soldato
Looks like a good job. The ‘carbon’ looks so much better.

I just don’t get the obsession with black glossy plastic, especially in a car! It’s not just Tesla, loads of cars have it these days. Do people actually like it?

Associate
id find that massively annoying, especially as they've bothered to fit the actual hardware to the car! will end up like free apps which nag you to pay for something.

i saw a FB article where a guy had purchased a tesla 2nd hand from a tesla dealer including AP and tesla remotely removed it after purchase because it wasnt supposed to have it!

Soldato
Lots of cars have hardware fitted for features the owner didn’t pay for, Tesla does take it to the next level though in the same of manufacturing simplicity.

Soldato
Interestingly - Option just popped up in my Tesla account to activate the rear heated seats for £300. SR+

Just read about that, nice to have the option if you really want the seats heated in the rear. I'm guessing it's just one of those things where buying/manufacturing and installing slightly different seats would cost the same as lower the spec item so they software locked it instead.

I'm wondering if things like the audio system and other parts will have similar options as time passes, I mean the have software locked batteries on some of their cars so I don't see why not.

Associate
Lots of cars have hardware fitted for features the owner didn’t pay for, Tesla does take it to the next level though in the same of manufacturing simplicity.

Cant think of one tbh. Unless its completely inconsequntial the vast majority of car options aren't fitted unless it was specified. wheels, brakes, suspension, exterior options, safety stuff which relies on cameras, reverse cams and sensors, upgraded interiors, climate upgrades....... just seems like a cash grab if they've fitted the hardware and just havent enabled a flag in the software. i mean wheres the extra value, its stupid. why not just give it away.

Audio system again wouldnt be something you could upgrade, unless they fitted better amps, better and additional speakers and sub; and then coded it to make it sound crap so they could sell you the upgrade. That would be completely retarded.

All these attempts to consider expensive physical items the same as a piece of software is beyond stupid. Wouldn't you think it stupid if you bought a house with heating, but you couldnt turn it on unless you bought the extra unlock code....

when will people start hacking teslas then....

Soldato
Cant think of one tbh. Unless its completely inconsequntial the vast majority of car options aren't fitted unless it was specified. wheels, brakes, suspension, exterior options, safety stuff which relies on cameras, reverse cams and sensors, upgraded interiors, climate upgrades....... just seems like a cash grab if they've fitted the hardware and just havent enabled a flag in the software. i mean wheres the extra value, its stupid. why not just give it away.

Audio system again wouldnt be something you could upgrade, unless they fitted better amps, better and additional speakers and sub; and then coded it to make it sound crap so they could sell you the upgrade. That would be completely retarded.

All these attempts to consider expensive physical items the same as a piece of software is beyond stupid. Wouldn't you think it stupid if you bought a house with heating, but you couldnt turn it on unless you bought the extra unlock code....

I believe from what I’ve read in the past the same sound system is fitted, just that some of the speakers aren’t wired in (humans are required for the wiring harness) and the sub isn’t installed.

Tesla is all about manufacturing efficiencies, so cheaper to include a few seat heaters than different seat options.

Soldato

Now your just being silly and no you can’t upgrade the audio by software after the fact, there’s no sub in the lower end model.

It’s not crazy to think it’s cheaper to just install the same seats in all the cars, especially with a low volume manufacturer that basically makes one car at any volume.

It’s business at the end of the day, they are there to make money. They don’t give it away because the customer didn’t pay for the higher end model and they need a way to differentiate the line up- just like any manufacture.

Like I said there are examples of other manufacturers doing it, for example you can add cruise control to loads of cars by just adding the button for it. BMW used to lock car play/Android auto behind a paywall, but all the hardware was there to do it. Like I said Tesla just take it to the next level with things like autopilot.

I believe from what I’ve read in the past the same sound system is fitted, just that some of the speakers aren’t wired in (humans are required for the wiring harness) and the sub isn’t installed.

Tesla is all about manufacturing efficiencies, so cheaper to include a few seat heaters than different seat options.

There isn’t a sub in a SR+ or the wiring to add one. The only way to do it is to splice into the speaker system somewhere and add your own sub and amp for it. I couldn’t comment on the speakers themselves but its quite different to locking behind a paywall or just plugging in a sub.

Soldato
Now your just being silly and no you can’t upgrade the audio by software after the fact, there’s no sub in the lower end model.

It’s not crazy to think it’s cheaper to just install the same seats in all the cars, especially with a low volume manufacturer that basically makes one car at any volume.

It’s business at the end of the day, they are there to make money. They don’t give it away because the customer didn’t pay for the higher end model and they need a way to differentiate the line up- just like any manufacture.

Like I said there are examples of other manufacturers doing it, for example you can add cruise control to loads of cars by just adding the button for it. BMW used to lock car play/Android auto behind a paywall, but all the hardware was there to do it. Like I said Tesla just take it to the next level with things like autopilot.

There isn’t a sub in a SR+ or the wiring to add one. The only way to do it is to splice into the speaker system somewhere and add your own sub and amp for it. I couldn’t comment on the speakers themselves but its quite different to locking behind a paywall or just plugging in a sub.

I did say no sub is installed :) but the speakers are apparently..

Back
Top Bottom