Man city escape ban! Or did they? [Update 6/2/23]

Associate
….Yeah.....2nd time they've escaped a ban. Still under investigation for 4 or 5 different transfer rule breeches.....Will they ever get a ban? Doubt it. wont make a difference anyway as they've spend so much on a squad that you would have to ban them for 2-3 seasons to make a dent.

Soldato
OP
….Yeah.....2nd time they've escaped a ban. Still under investigation for 4 or 5 different transfer rule breeches.....Will they ever get a ban? Doubt it. wont make a difference anyway as they've spend so much on a squad that you would have to ban them for 2-3 seasons to make a dent.
That's what I find unfair to the clubs that have been banned so far, this isn't city first failure yet still escape a ban

Caporegime
Every time something like this happens the club in question should be made to pay percentage of their profits to every team in the Premier/Football League, at least then something good will come out of blatant cheating. For clubs like City it's better to take a soft fine than miss out on a once in a lifetime signing.

Caporegime
Chelsea had over 100 breaches of the rules and had been warned about their conduct by uefa a couple of years before, yet carried on breaking the rules. You can’t compare City’s and Chelsea’s situation.

Soldato
OP
City have done it twice so need banning, it's a multiple offence like Chelsea wether one is 100 or one is 2 times a ban is fair.

Tbh dock points as well imo that's more damaging than a fine

Soldato
City have done it twice so need banning, it's a multiple offence like Chelsea wether one is 100 or one is 2 times a ban is fair.

Tbh dock points as well imo that's more damaging than a fine
lmao.
The multiple offences, you must be talking about the ban handed out by the Premier League/FA for signing youth players a few years back, they have done the same to Liverpool and Chelsea IIRC. They are completely separate entities.

In this instance we helped fifa with their investigation and accepted guilt for the two counts put forward, Chelsea it appears have tried to fight their charges which for the record was originally over 100 players but then ended up at 29, this meant fifa gave them a punishment. Fifa have also said this is related to transfers in 2016 and we have been fully compliant since then so thats why City have just paid a fine. 29 to 2.

It is really quite clear what is different about the two cases if you look past the hyperbole.

Dock points from what competition exactly? I don't think they can start handing out punishments through the league, maybe the world cup or club world cup?

I wish it was easy for City to pay off Uefa and Fifa as you are suggesting, would give our board a bit less of a headache if we could.
In saying that, I am very much looking forward to the day when the case against City regarding FFP is either thrown out or results in a paltry fine because the implosion across forums and twitter will be quite incredible.

Every time something like this happens the club in question should be made to pay percentage of their profits to every team in the Premier/Football League, at least then something good will come out of blatant cheating. For clubs like City it's better to take a soft fine than miss out on a once in a lifetime signing.
I definitely think fines for Prem clubs for any offences should be filtered back down the pyramid. All it ends up being otherwise is another few bottle of wine for the premier league christmas party.

Soldato
OP
What's a pathetic fine going to do to a club like city? Nothing they can pay that amount likes it pocket money.

So could we, and any club in the premier league.

I honestly think the fines do jack to actually put clubs off from breaking financial fair play. Docking points is more likely to cause them issues.

Do it in the domestic league or whatever league the club is in, makes it harder for them then and missing champions league places will also hurt some clubs or just ban the club from Europe if eligible again this would be a much bigger deterrent than a fine

Don
City escape a ban? Oh no they don't. It's breaking just now that they've been banned for 2 seasons! This is going to drag on with appeals to CAS and god knows where next if City lose that.

Don
2 year ban cut to 1 on appeal will be the way this goes imo.

City will not be in the champs league next season. Will that mean champs league qualification goes down to 5th place this year?
They'll almost certainly be in the CL next season. There's little chance that the appeal will be heard before the start of next season and even if City lose, even if it's reduced to 1 season, they'll fight this is every court possible. We know from all the leaked documents that City have previously threatened to take UEFA to the cleaners if they tried to punish them and I don't think they're bluffing.

If City ultimately lose and are banned from the CL in a season where they've finished in the top 4 then yes, 5th place would take their spot.

Soldato
I understand this is breaking but the BBC has a comment from man city that they are disappointed with the verdict but not surprised and they will appeal?

Surely by not being surprised that acknowledges that they have done exactly what they've been found guilty of? So what is there to appeal?

Soldato
Given Pep has said he’ll be judged as a failure if he doesn’t win the CL do you think he’ll stick around until after the ban, if the ban is upheld (I expect there will be appeal after appeal after appeal and this will drag on for years) do you think he’ll walk, I actually think if they don’t win it this year he’ll go anyway.

Soldato
OP
Happy news imo, it's a decent punishment and much better than just a small fine.

I'd still say docking points would also work but this is much better than there initial pocket money fine

Back
Top Bottom