**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Thoughts on the Redmi Note 8T? £179 in UK.

Might be worth it just for the two year warranty and UK support.

I heard Xiaomi has set up a database of IMEI numbers to distinguish global handsets for the Chinese and Euro markets. This means that the Xiaomi UK support can refuse you support if your IMEI number isn't on their database.

Soldato
Just randomly checked my Mi A2 for a security update, as I didn't remember getting an update for a while (5th Dec 1019), as we should get monthly updates as it's part of the Android One program...

I don't recall swiping a notifiction, but it's now downloading Android 10, ~1280MB.

Soldato
Hi.

I'm due for an upgrade next month, and am a bit disappointed with the current contract offerings.

I currently have a p20 pro, and last year got my son a Xaiomi Max3. Ever since I've fancied a big phone, so a Mate 20 X has been top of my list for a while.

However, it looks like I've missed the mate 20 X boat, and the only phone they've got on contract now is the new 5g version, which is waaaaay overpriced for a 1 year old phone design with the addition of 5g and a 800mah smaller battery. (I'd miss those 800mah much more than I'd use the 5g) so it means I'd have to buy an X 4g outright or get refurb.

So, my question is, are there any alternatives that have come out recently, which now outclass the Mate 20 X can that be had for less (sub £500)?

My priorities are
NFC / Google pay / services
Camera
Screen size 7in+
OLED (I like reading at night with a black background)
Battery
Performance
Price

In that order.

PS my wife's phone is on its last legs and she's after my p20 pro, so really is time to move on.

Associate
Might be worth it just for the two year warranty and UK support.

I heard Xiaomi has set up a database of IMEI numbers to distinguish global handsets for the Chinese and Euro markets. This means that the Xiaomi UK support can refuse you support if your IMEI number isn't on their database.

They have had database for years this is how factories work they log all serials for every part doesn't matter the country it is to be sold in. (this is how you track faults)

Xiaomi terms state it must be purchased by authorized sellers and these are only ones they cover anyone not on that list they wont cover warranty you have to deal with retailer. (eglobal/tobydeals claims you will be covered it's false)

Argos, Amazon, Three, John Lewis, Carphone Warehouse, Very, ******, Box, Currys, GoMobiles

The company is really not great at communication this is something that must be improved it is really holding them back and the whole not authorized seller stuff is the rubbish you expect from people like Apple very poor.

Last edited:
Associate
@edGfaCTor

Interesting to hear your point on Xiaomi poor communications. They were happy to support Global Xiaomi handsets, bought from outside the EU, when I spoke to them a few months ago. Fully agree on your point on the authorised seller stuff being ridiculous. They really ought to get involved in promoting their own brand as it's far too small to behave like a monopoly similar to Apple.

Soldato
Pocophone X2 is a thing now although doesn't seem to be a direct sequel to F1 like some people were expecting.

120Hz screen with a midrange SoC, solid 4500 mAh battery and "quad" camera on the back with regular, ultrawide, macro (are these a new trend?) and depth sensor.

Also looks like Pocophone F1 has dropped in price to £179.99 and Android 10 supposedly landing on it soon.

Associate
@edGfaCTor

Interesting to hear your point on Xiaomi poor communications. They were happy to support Global Xiaomi handsets, bought from outside the EU, when I spoke to them a few months ago. Fully agree on your point on the authorised seller stuff being ridiculous. They really ought to get involved in promoting their own brand as it's far too small to behave like a monopoly similar to Apple.

No global warranty this is even stated on their websites now and I did speak with them yesterday about two phones which one was purchased eglobal the other a friend picked up in Thailand from their own store.

eglobal one they said no warranty at all need to deal with eglobal due to not an authorized reseller and the one purchased from Thailand they will cover but needs to take it back to Thailand store.

That is poor service in my opinion.

Now some will say just buy it in UK well first the authorized sellers in UK do not even stock all the models and next the prices are silly it's nothing to do with VAT they are just so over priced.

Pocophone X2 is a thing now although doesn't seem to be a direct sequel to F1 like some people were expecting.

120Hz screen with a midrange SoC, solid 4500 mAh battery and "quad" camera on the back with regular, ultrawide, macro (are these a new trend?) and depth sensor.

Also looks like Pocophone F1 has dropped in price to £179.99 and Android 10 supposedly landing on it soon.

X2 is different series X series not F series which the original Poco was again poor marketing.

I don't see many people bothering with that X Poco being it's just a rebranded K30 yet costing much more.

Which places have it at that price? all the authorized uk sellers have it close to £300 again shows how we are being ripped off

Soldato
I'm seeing a 9t Pro (6gb/128gb) on the rainforest site @ £399 from official seller (Xiaomi).
I really want one but should I wait for a price drop?

Soldato
I'm seeing a 9t Pro (6gb/128gb) on the rainforest site @ £399 from official seller (Xiaomi).
I really want one but should I wait for a price drop?
There likely would be one soon when the mi 10 is more concrete. I'm really hoping there is a drop anyways. Its the only phone I'm interested in at the moment

Associate
Mi 10 Pro looks nice, wonder how long until 10t Pro comes out.

Fingers itching wanting an upgrade from Rednote 5 pro which has served me great for nearly two years.

Associate
Mi 10 Pro looks nice, wonder how long until 10t Pro comes out.

Fingers itching wanting an upgrade from Rednote 5 pro which has served me great for nearly two years.

I also wonder when that will come. The 9t Pro looks an absolute bargain so hoping 10t Pro will as well. I'm not due for an upgrade until November but so far the mi 10 series seems to be where I will be looking to replace my mate 20 Pro. It has 4500mah and 4700mah batteries which is a big thing for me. I would hate to replace my phone with something worse on battery life as I have gotten used to the superb battery on my current phone.

Back
Top Bottom