Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
So i am looking at replacing my Renault scenic banger which i bought 2.5 years ago for £200 as a temporary car so would not have to run my s2000.

Naturally i am looking at Hondas. Looking to spend £3-3.5k. £4k at an absolute maximum

I am thinking either a CRV or a Honda Accord 2007+ so both will be fairly high mileage 100k+

It will be my daily, but my commute is only 8 mile their, and 8 mile back

I dont need a big car, but have quite enjoyed the scenics space over the last 2 years and have been able to get a lot of stuff in it while doing work on my house.

Anyone running either a crv or accord of this age range and mileage have any thoughts on why i should not buy? or things to look for if i do?

Associate

Rather than a crv or accord? Not sure i could stomach a small car now after having the scenic which is why i am thinking accord or CRV. Dont fancy the spaceship looking civic of a similar age.

Edit, not really paid any attention to the jazz, but just googled them and they dont look too small, and much nicer than the older jazz's i remember

Soldato
I have an 09 Accord 2.4i Manual, bought it with 60k miles its now on 90k, that's 30k miles in just over 2 years

Pros: Its been very reliable so far (minus a driveshaft issue i'm soon to be fixing, common fault on the 8th gens from a read), the leather seats in EX trim are like big comfortable armchairs, quick and fun especially with the manual, and if you drive it sensibly it'll do around 35mpg and if you're proper eco focused it'll happily do over 40mpg, despite people telling me i'll be lucky to see 30mpg out of it.

The cons: It has bluetooth, but only for telephone calls, so no music over bluetooth (It has Aux and usb connectivity which works perfectly fine with my iPhone Xr), Not very spacious for occupants in the back, if you're 6ft and over and have your seat far back, the rear seats turn into seats only suitable for children, the boot is meh in size but that goes for every saloon really, struggled to get two medium suitcases in the boot.

Associate
Just signed up for an extended warranty on the FK2, car is three years old next week.

This is for the official Honda package not a 3rd party company.

Offer on through Honda so paid £595 (normally £1000), so only £3.80 week (and including full European breakdown cover).

Car has been nothing but reliable, but I'd be kicking myself if anything major went wrong for such a minor sum considering the 3 year term.

Associate
I had a responder on my FK2, it was nice to have the throttle response+ of r mode without the stpidly hard suspension. Best plug and play mod for me.
Did it actually increase throttle response, or is it more a case of just amplifiying the input signal. Does it genuinly feel like the R Mode throttle? If so I need to buy one haha

Associate
I had a responder on my FK2, it was nice to have the throttle response+ of r mode without the stpidly hard suspension. Best plug and play mod for me.

Sounds great - often drive in +R mode, really brings the car alive, but as you state the suspension is absolutely rock solid so would be nice to have the option of increased throttle response without the harder ride. Has anyone driven the FK8 - I believe it has a mode that is similar?

Soldato
Did it actually increase throttle response, or is it more a case of just amplifiying the input signal. Does it genuinly feel like the R Mode throttle? If so I need to buy one haha

Very good question and Im not sure but even on 'eco' mode it felt way more responsive than r mode. The red mode whatever it was called just made my clutch slip so was pointless.
Thing is if you don't like it you'll easily sell it so not a big risk.

The car felt really sluggish when I removed it (as I was selling car)

Back
Top Bottom