Early F10's - Buying Advice?

Soldato
Hi - at some point this year I might replace the E39 with one of these, I love the E39 but would like some more toys. The last time I touched on this I avoided the E87 and E90 and ended up with a Golf and kept the E39. Is the F10 a worthy replacement?

I've seen some examples of these going for the equivalent of 5k, sometimes less which frankly seems ridiculous.

Is there anything I should know before buying once of these? What engines to avoid, what options etc? A 528i just went for 5k locally yesterday and it looked rather good minus the little nav screen. I'm more bothered about reliability and economy than speed engine wise.

Cheers

Man of Honour
It's absolutely a worthy replacement for the E39. I've had two since replacing my E39 in 2014.

I'd spend more than 5k, though. You'll want a nice one. The 528i has the troublesome N53 engine in it, so ironically it's the 3 litre diesel that's most reliable. The best value way into one of those is an early 525d.

Avoid ones with poor spec and the crappy little screen.

Soldato
OP
Thanks - I've just had a look at the engine variants; are the N52/N20 still as problematic? There are loads of 528's for some reason in NZ but no 525d's. There are some 520d's though and some look ok.

Are there any other must have things on the spec sheet other than the screen? I'm not fussed about big wheels or the msport kit or anything. More so interior goodies.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I have an extremely reliable, well looked after, sensibly driven, top spec, low mileage 535d I'll let you have for a steal at £10k.

Man of Honour
Thanks - I've just had a look at the engine variants; are the N52/N20 still as problematic? There are loads of 528's for some reason in NZ but no 525d's. There are some 520d's though and some look ok.

Are there any other must have things on the spec sheet other than the screen? I'm not fussed about big wheels or the msport kit or anything. More so interior goodies.

Oh you're in NZ. I think they only got the N53 in Europe and the N52 is much less of an issue.

Surprised they are so cheap over there, is it just Australia where everything is mad expensive?

Soldato
OP
I have an extremely reliable, well looked after, sensibly driven, top spec, low mileage 535d I'll let you have for a steal at £10k.[/QUOTE

If I was local I'd have a look.

Oh you're in NZ. I think they only got the N53 in Europe and the N52 is much less of an issue.

Surprised they are so cheap over there, is it just Australia where everything is mad expensive?

NZ is less regulated on used and new imports than Australia. There is also no luxury car tax. People are worried about European cars being unreliable and costly to maintain. They prefer Japanese Imports so depreciation is massive.

Australia also has a mega wealthy demographic. Whenever I go to Melbourne or Sydney there's high end European cars everywhere, much better residuals.

I'll take a look at some options, probably a 528i as that seems to be most of the lower end F10 market at the moment. Cheers!

Soldato
The 520d has a decent engine, a little rattly compared to the 6 cyls but has enough power and is economical. I believe the 530d was slightly better specced in m sport guise (advanced air con and possibly ambient lights from memory).

Pro Nav and advanced air con are the only options I would say are really worth it, otherwise the rest are nice to have but the car is well specced as standard.

Soldato
I’d say the F10 is a very big car, bigger than the e39 and it feels it so I wouldn’t really say it’s much of a replacement. The e39 can shrink around you due to the driving dynamics but I never found this with the f10 model.

for £5k though sounds like an ideal barge

Soldato
I loved my 2013 F10 525D, i'd own another in a heartbeat. I haven't really kept up with prices of them here in NZ recently, though they must have come down a lot! I remember checking how much mine would cost to replace here, in 2017, a 2013 530D would have cost me about $70k (£35k). I think Euro's are getting much more commonplace here now though so maybe that's bringing prices down.

Soldato
Good thread timing. I've been looking at the 530D F10 possibly the Luxury model as I'd like a comfortable quiet cruiser.

Is the HK worth it over the standard audio system or should I not worry about it and get an aftermarket upgrade?

I've seen some front seats in the classifieds with thicker headrests. Can't find an ad with the seats after a quick search, did I see those on a G30 or are they also available on an F10 and if so what are they called?

Is Bluetooth audio streaming and RTTI included with the pro nav as standard?

Thanks

Soldato
Pro nav doesn’t necessarily mean BT streaming but it’s easy to code if it doesn’t have it and doesn’t need any hardware upgrades to the car. Just software and OBD Enet cable.

RTTI is an annual subscription based service only as far as I’m aware.

Soldato
520d here.

I tried all engines, all lci.

It's all about choice, but the 520d in sport mode is all I ever need. Tbh didn't feel much slower, other than between 60-70.

It you feel its lacking buy bigger.

It does clatter though :).

Back
Top Bottom