New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
The only thing I don't like about it, which has been mentioned in the other thread, is the panel gaps. The way they've split the rear quarter/lower sill just behind the rear door, then added a panel to the door itself which means another gap, spoils what would otherwise be a nice smooth looking side.
The same for the front wings - I think if they had made the bonnet narrower, the front wing could have flowed right up and over the wheel to where it means the front bumper panel.

It's not that the gaps are too large, or that they exist, just the amount of them which tends to draw the eye. That's a minor criticism though, and one which would be avoided by buying a black car. I'd still love to have a go in one.

Soldato
Toyota had a BMW canvas to work on, which isn't the best start when going for looks. BMW haven't made a nice looking shape for about 20 years.

Soldato
OP
Shorter wheel base than the 86 so not as easy to chuck around.

Not really. The (marginally) shorter wheel base helps with agility yes, but Supra’s also got much more tyre and weight to balance it up. It’s a far more ‘planted’ drive in stock form than the stock 86.

Best way I can describe it is Supra is all business about getting from A to B as quickly as possible. 86 is more about the experience of driving from A to B.

Soldato
Not really. The (marginally) shorter wheel base helps with agility yes, but Supra’s also got much more tyre and weight to balance it up. It’s a far more ‘planted’ drive in stock form than the stock 86.

Best way I can describe it is Supra is all business about getting from A to B as quickly as possible. 86 is more about the experience of driving from A to B.

I mean you cant casually drift it around at 15mph like you can with the gt86. Its set up for maximum grip.

OcUK Staff
Happened on a lesser degree in my NSX thread too.

Wild times.

yes it’s illegal but many of us do it myself included and the simple fact is a front plate not on a car is not an owner trying to evade law or cameras not in my case anyway but simply because there is nowhere to put a front plate and it ruins the look of the car too.

Should police crack down on it maybe so but until then I’ll enjoy plate free life just like Nath and several others where a front plate ruins a car looks. Some cars a front plate makes them look better like cars with a factory recess for example.

Our cars have rear plates and that is what matters! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I mean you cant casually drift it around at 15mph like you can with the gt86. Its set up for maximum grip.

Ah I misunderstood you. Yeah, much more grip... that said I upset it when I drove one but they wouldn't let me turn off the traction to really play since it was the garage bosses own car haha :D

The GT86 is a curiosity though, specifically designed to be a "fun" car at lower speeds, hence the tyre choice and width etc.

The Supra is in the normal sports car mould, the old supra and i suspect from all the write ups the new one will be one of the best point to point cars going.

You don't buy a GT86 to get quickly from one place to another, you absolutely do with a Supra.

Soldato
I post mainly on the mk5supra forums but as there isn;t much going on in the worl other than COVID based misery, I'd thought I'd bless you with some progress on my Supra ownership/tuning experience. Feel free to ask me where the front number plate is or how many BMW stikers I've found etc.

So received the car yesterday morning after being off at Garage Whifbitz, on a miserable & wet December day. Just in time for my track day @ Oulton Park! Nothing like timing eh?

Current spec:

- Pure 800 Turbo
- Forge Heat exchanger
- Forge Oil Catch Can
- Whifbitz hardline intake & boost pipes
- Whifbitz 3.5" Titanium exhaust with downpipe
- K&N Panel filter
- HKS Touring Springs
- Cusco Front Strut brace

Running 524WHP & 506 LB/ft at the wheels:

50705782711_17a4c09000_b.jpg

50694523366_c5925bec01_b.jpg

50693781103_ebf6e3a44f_b.jpg

A few pics of the car.

As she got dropped off:

50728605998_0bd0a6c3ef_b-jpg.35520

The engine bay with the new additions:

50729346316_a9666290f7_b-jpg.35521

Filling up on 99 RON Vpower before the track day.

50728605988_9a46180045_b-jpg.35522

50729443117_ec258a49db_b-jpg.35523

50728606043_f2445c1086_b-jpg.35524

50728606058_cb61dd8bd9_b-jpg.35525

Drawing a big crowd, must have spoken to 20 people about the car throughout the day!

50729432817_56698dd93b_b-jpg.35526

50728606093_0c33613f87_b-jpg.35527

The day was extremely wet and didn't really give up raining throughout.

The car felt well balanced especially with the HKS springs and front strut brce containing the body roll. Stiffness of the ride remained as stock which is a plus as I was worried about making the car too harsh.

The Pure800 turbo though, wow. This thing spools so fast but the delivery is extremely linear, a different experience to the stock turbo which has a huge torque dump early in the rev range.

I only managed to go full throttle a handful of times on track due to the conditions but the car managed it well. To be honest it could have gone faster but with it being my first time behind the wheel since the stage 3 mods were made, I thought it was best to take it easy given the conditions.

Braking was easily managed despite being on the stock setup, no doubt due to the lower speeds and longer brake areas due to the wet.

I have an AP racing BBK coming in Jan. Big power requires big brakes afterall.

I am SO keen to try the car back on track in the dry as the handling was very predictable and has given me confidence when driving it in adverse conditions.

Also the exhaust sounds incredible. Short track video below!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom