In the year 2100

Soldato
We all will likely be dead, will the forum be around ? Maybe it will just be a part of the internet archive ?

OCUK celebrates being 20 this weekend, will it make to 100 ?

80 years is a lifetime away

We're just getting to 2 months into 2020 and we've already nearly had ww3 with Iran and the US, we've had a deadly coronavirus infect China and get a little bit around the globe, we've had Iran shoot a passenger jet, Turkey are trying to have a war with Syria & Russia, parts of the UK getting flooded, a very mild winter, T-shirt weather in Antartica, Australia literally on fire, etc etc

This first 2 months of the year have been crazy

Maybe we won't last a year ?

Man of Honour
We're in the best position we ever have been to survive and thrive as a species. The drama you list is frankly child's play compared to what was going on for most of the 20th century.

As for the forum, it's already essentially a relic of a bygone era, I don't see why it shouldn't hang around for a long, long time.

Soldato
We're in the best position we ever have been to survive and thrive as a species. The drama you list is frankly child's play compared to what was going on for most of the 20th century.

As for the forum, it's already essentially a relic of a bygone era, I don't see why it shouldn't hang around for a long, long time.

This. As are the views of many of the members.

Soldato
OP

80 years though ? Surely by then everyone will all be on internet 2.0 which I'd imagine would be vastly different to how our archaic internet works and as such a message board will no longer be fit for purpose ?

The drama you list is frankly child's play compared to what was going on for most of the 20th century..

It's only really 2 world wars that make it child's play, take those away and it's much the same no ?

Caporegime
I guess traffic might well die off a bit, I guess it is possible the owners might pull the plug in say a decade or so - I mean it's not longer a business run by one guy who also posts on the forum etc.. you don't know what might happen to the company/parent company over the next 10 years etc..

I do think these sorts of forums are pretty useful for sharing information especially relating to say tech/hobbies/interests etc.. the likes of Facebook doesn't really replace that and not everything needs to be replaced with some reddit/subreddit thing.

Soldato
Personally I think the things you've mentioned are small fry compared to what could happen, think about the bubonic plague, nuclear war, an asteroid, global warming, heart disease.

I'm not worried, I've read too many scare stories to realise no point in worrying about what may happen.

Caporegime
80 years though ? Surely by then everyone will all be on internet 2.0 which I'd imagine would be vastly different to how our archaic internet works and as such a message board will no longer be fit for purpose ?

Chance of any random small/medium sized business being around in 80 years time itself is probably quite low.

Maybe the mod team or anyone else for that matter could set up some independent overclockers forums if/when the plug were ever to be pulled.

Soldato

It's only really 2 world wars that make it child's play, take those away and it's much the same no ?
Only 2 world wars?
How about a comparison to
Corona virus since it was mentioned
In 1918 Spanish flu
Infected approx 500 million people
And killed up to an
Estimated 50 million
That's not exactly child's play

Soldato
We all will likely be dead, will the forum be around ? Maybe it will just be a part of the internet archive ?

OCUK celebrates being 20 this weekend, will it make to 100 ?

80 years is a lifetime away

We're just getting to 2 months into 2020 and we've already nearly had ww3 with Iran and the US, we've had a deadly coronavirus infect China and get a little bit around the globe, we've had Iran shoot a passenger jet, Turkey are trying to have a war with Syria & Russia, parts of the UK getting flooded, a very mild winter, T-shirt weather in Antartica, Australia literally on fire, etc etc

This first 2 months of the year have been crazy

Maybe we won't last a year ?

I know right crazy!

To add to all of this, the other day the handle on my Ikea cheese grater snapped.

Soldato
The biggest threat to mankind is AI - the technological singularity. That will happen before year 2100.

Really???????

Admittedly Google knows a lot about us, but even if AI became intelligent, self aware and on top of all that wanted to kill us, I think it's pretty far fetched, it would just crash to desktop at a crucial moment!

But...... On the same lines, something like a massive IT failure in IT, say for example, the world's banking records all got wiped, the knock on effect could be nasty.

Back
Top Bottom