Problems obtaining a visa to enter the USA.

Associate
I haven't been to the USA for some time. However, what many people don't understand is that apart from a (mostly) common language, there are massive differences in personality, outlook and attitude around the country. What is acceptable in one state may even be against the law in another.

That's really not the case at all, unless you're talking about gun laws or abortion laws. Short of that most everything is the same across the board.

ntg

ntg

Associate
I think the “moral turpitude” bit in the ESTA application has been removed, and it’s now worded differently, though still covering all the reasons that they’ll knock you back for.
I was watching my wife renewing her ESTA to visit a friend in NYC, she was complaining loud and long about having to fill it in, while I have a multiple entry visa that lasts ten years.
It’s even valid after the passport expires, I’ve often had to show two passports on arrival in the U.S., my current one, and a clipped one with a valid visa.
I told her to apply for a visa like the one that I have, but she cba to go to the embassy for an interview.

I don't believe this is an option anymore. If you are eligible to apply for ESTA then you _must_ apply for ESTA.

Also, it sucks for the professor but we are just reading his side of the story. Maybe one of his acquaintances or co-workers or friends is indeed involved in something shady and he wouldn't know about it - but the agencies would. Who the hell knows. It's obvious the system has flagged him for something, so it's down to him to disprove it. I'ts not as if the US immigration has nothing better to do than flagging people all day. Of course some times they get it wrong, and it's impossible to get them to see the truth, and that needs fixing. However, the reality is that you aren't entitled to enter their country, you are asking to do so, so they reserve the right to ask questions.

Also, about those concerned for immigration officials checking their phones. Again, no one is interested in your data or emails or whatnot, unless you have been flagged up in the system. It just doesn't randomly happen. There is usually a reason. If you are so concerned then just back up your data on the cloud and do a factory reset once on the plane, don't know what to say. No, I'm not taking the position of 'if you got nothing to hide..', not at all, but you need to understand no system will be perfect and there will be imbalances. I've had my share of time-wasting with US immigration, so I'm not a fanboy either, but I won't restrict myself from enjoying their wonderful country just because they have asking for more data or whatnot. I don't think the balance has tipped so much yet.

Man of Honour
That's really not the case at all, unless you're talking about gun laws or abortion laws. Short of that most everything is the same across the board.

Rather a risqué example, but I saw this somewhere;

Thirteen states' statutes purport to ban all forms of sodomy, some including oralintercourse, regardless of the participants' genders: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma and South Carolina.

Man of Honour
I don't believe this is an option anymore. If you are eligible to apply for ESTA then you _must_ apply for ESTA.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I bow to your superior knowledge there ntg, when I applied for my first U.S. visa in 1976 it was refused due to a conviction in 1967, which incurred a £25 fine.
I was issued with a waiver, to enable me to enter once, but was told that I’d have to apply for a waiver for any future visits, this I did, but after five waivers the State Department decided that I was okay, and gave me a multiple entry visa.
Since then I’ve travelled on a visa, but when the present one expires, I wouldn’t want to take a chance on applying for ESTA, in case my original refusal was flagged, and I had to go through all the waiver palaver again, so my wife, being eligible for ESTA probably wouldn’t be able to apply for a visa, as you say.

Man of Honour
I had a similar experience when I landed in Dallas on Sept 15 2001; yeah it was bedlam. I was dumped into a room with two immigration officers claiming I hadn't left the country. After an hour convincing them I truly had just arrived from the UK, the tact changed to demanding why I had two records on their immigration computer system. It transpired whoever had entered my details had shortened my middle name on one of the records. I was allowed entry to continue the bedlam when trying to get a connecting flight on to my actual destination.

I had another winner when landing in Chicago and being asked why I was travelling to Albuquerque.
I glibly stated "to see a girl".
His reply "Do you like Albuquerque?"
"Not really, the place is like a dirty sandpit"
"I'm from Albuquerque".
*mirth*

Will we ever learn, I sailed quite close to the wind once, at immigration in JFK, I got away with it, but I considered myself so lucky, that I behaved myself from then on.
After the usual routine questions, the agent said, “Do you have relations in New York City?”
I couldn’t resist it, I blithely replied, “If I get the chance.”
He didn’t even look up, he just said, “Excuse me?”
I said, “No sir, I don’t.”
Stamp, stamp, welcome to the United States sir.”

Soldato
I had no problem in January with my brand-new passport and ESTA :)

Only eyebrow raised was when a customs agent asked what I did for a living, how long i was staying and how much money I had on me. When I said about $200 he said "$200 sir?, for a 10 day stay" At which point I went in to a panic and started spewing credit limits on my travel card I was using, how much I had in my current account and savings trying to justify I had enouch cash - what a fool!! The guy chuckled and said "OK, you have a nice stay sir, stay safe"

I then I almost immediately got told off for waiting for the Mrs who was next to go through, once through you need to keep moving on apparently :) "Sir you need to keep moving!"... woooops :)

Soldato
Never employ humour in the presence of TSA agents or CBP officers. If your airline lounge is located before security (I’m looking at you, SFO Virgin Lounge), don’t get plastered and then have to rush to the departure gate.

Associate
Liquid refreshment hostelries?

However, what I was really referring to was personality, outlook and attitude in general.

Liquid refreshment is pretty much the same all over. There are some states where 18 is legal age but the most are 21.

That's far more a regional thing than a state by state thing. South vs. East... etc.

Soldato

Only eyebrow raised was when a customs agent asked what I did for a living, how long i was staying and how much money I had on me. When I said about $200 he said "$200 sir?, for a 10 day stay" At which point I went in to a panic and started spewing credit limits on my travel card I was using, how much I had in my current account and savings trying to justify I had enouch cash - what a fool!! The guy chuckled and said "OK, you have a nice stay sir, stay safe"

I then I almost immediately got told off for waiting for the Mrs who was next to go through, once through you need to keep moving on apparently :) "Sir you need to keep moving!"... woooops :)

I had a very similar experience. They suspected I was coming into the country to work (the 3 month stay may have raised suspicions :p ) and I just got a more thorough grilling at the immigration desk. They asked me how much money I had too which caught me off guard.

I did end up in the 'other' room for further checks once due to it taking so long for my renewed green card to arrive and passport expiry dates falling during my travel, etc. If you think the people on the desks are miserable just wait until you see the guys in this other room...

Flying into the US via Toronto is a much nicer experience as you go through US immigration in Canada. Traveling in with a green card is a lot nicer now too as I don't get grilled at all.

Associate
Rather a risqué example, but I saw this somewhere;

Thirteen states' statutes purport to ban all forms of sodomy, some including oralintercourse, regardless of the participants' genders: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma and South Carolina.

lol.... got a kick out of that. Yes, there are some very strange laws still on the books in many states. They are however ignored > 99% of the time. Nobody is worried about them.

ntg

ntg

Associate

If you are travelling with your wife/partner you can go together at the immigration desk. No need to go 1 by 1.

Man of Honour
I still miss the old immigration questionnaire.

Do you have a communicable disease; physical or mental disorder; or are you a drug abuser or addict?

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with the Naza Germany or his allies?

Moral turpitude? :D Also seeking entry to engage in immoral activities? If possible.. yes!

Still not as funny as as the: 'Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?' Question that used to exist. Or the 'Do you have anything in your possession that may cause a nuclear explosion?'

Soldato
Entry into a country is a privilege not a right if you are not a citizen. I've not had any issue getting into the US and I'm happy to answer all their questions because I'd like access to their country. I'm more surprised that people seem to think that visiting other countries should be as easy as popping next door with zero checks carried out. Then again I happen to live in the real world where nasty things happen which requires security to prevent rather than some fantasy make believe world where people want it to be sunshine and laughter.

Soldato
It's a complete contrast to some European countries who just look at the passport cover and wave you on, don't even bother to stamp it :D

I think it was Portugal where I just waved at the guy and walked through, he did not care.

Back
Top Bottom