Suggestions for a used car please...

Associate
Long story short, I need to sell my current car (2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI) to free up some money.

I really like the car, never any problems with it and the size and comfort have been great. I find it has just the right combination of speed and economy (more speed is always welcome hehe :D).

I'm looking for a cheapish run around between £1,000 to £2,000, maybe a little more. I was considering an older Octavia but not sure. I do around 150 miles per week with the occasional trip. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help and suggestions :)

Associate
OP
They are nice cars and will do the job. A used one of those websites that buys any car and it said £6,800. I was guessing that was on the low side of things from a company like that but took it as a ballpark figure. That's my biggest worry about doing this but hoping I find something that will last 2 years max.

Thank you for the suggestion, mccarf :)

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
52k :)

Edit: What are you driving now? It's been a long time since the rover days :D

Me?

Oh no, I still have a Rover :D :D I have an MG ZT as a mile muncher and then a Mazda MX-5 SVT and an Impreza STi for fun.

From a glance on Autotrader, your Octavia could be worth around 7-8k. For a cheap reliable car at that sort of miles, I'd be looking at something simple, petrol and non turbo. Honda Accord, Focus or another Octavia.

Associate
OP
dessimpson: Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those.

Acme: I like both of those. I would love the extra power to play with but I have a heavy foot, so I am afraid that I would spend quite a bit more in fuel. Something to think about though because what I have found so far is that the diesel's are more expensive anyway, so I save initially and spend bit by bit on extra fuel.

agw_01: Good to hear you still have a rover :D I always wanted an STi but family priorities and all... I would be happy with 7k, so anything more would be great. So far, I think an older Octavia or maybe even a Fabia so the Mrs can use it when she passes her test.

Thank you all :)

Soldato
Family priorities... what's an Impreza if it isn't a family car? ;)

When my ex-gf was pregnant with my son she said I had to sell my car (my red Rover 420 Turbo if you remember it... highly modified, 250bhp, fully polybushed etc etc, superb fun to drive). I told her that I'd sell the Rover only if I could get an Impreza. Done deal :D I had an 02 bugeye WRX for 12 months before getting the STi in 2016. I only got the ZT because I do a lot of miles and it seemed a huge shame to put 25k a year on the STi. My WRX was a cracking car though, 99% standard, averaged 35mpg over the 30k miles I did and overall very very reliable.

Scratch my last post... I'm sure you could find a nice unmolested Impreza WRX for 2-3 grand!

Associate
OP
Sorry for taking such a long time to reply.
Haha, I always use that as a good reason to buy one :D

I remember your green 420. I think you had the red one before that?

I did find a few subaru's when hunting around but saw some of the older ones suffer from rust issues and a lot of them had high mileage.

I opted for cheaper, so I had spare money for repairs and anything I'd like done. I picked a mk1 Octavia vRS. I actually bought the one suggested by @Acme, above, with the rude number plate lol. It was local, so nice and easy.

It's got a little bit of rust and the back box apparently feel off just before I viewed it. We agreed on a price and he dropped it off for me.

Had it checked over, it was the exhaust and it needs discs and pads all around, around August time. Having a full stainless exhaust fitted today (need a car for my job, essential travel). It's not the greatest of cars but it's fun and I'll put some life back into it while I have it :D

Family priorities... what's an Impreza if it isn't a family car? ;)

When my ex-gf was pregnant with my son she said I had to sell my car (my red Rover 420 Turbo if you remember it... highly modified, 250bhp, fully polybushed etc etc, superb fun to drive). I told her that I'd sell the Rover only if I could get an Impreza. Done deal :D I had an 02 bugeye WRX for 12 months before getting the STi in 2016. I only got the ZT because I do a lot of miles and it seemed a huge shame to put 25k a year on the STi. My WRX was a cracking car though, 99% standard, averaged 35mpg over the 30k miles I did and overall very very reliable.

Scratch my last post... I'm sure you could find a nice unmolested Impreza WRX for 2-3 grand!

Associate
Sorry for taking such a long time to reply.
Haha, I always use that as a good reason to buy one :D

I remember your green 420. I think you had the red one before that?

I did find a few subaru's when hunting around but saw some of the older ones suffer from rust issues and a lot of them had high mileage.

I opted for cheaper, so I had spare money for repairs and anything I'd like done. I picked a mk1 Octavia vRS. I actually bought the one suggested by @Acme, above, with the rude number plate lol. It was local, so nice and easy.

It's got a little bit of rust and the back box apparently feel off just before I viewed it. We agreed on a price and he dropped it off for me.

Had it checked over, it was the exhaust and it needs discs and pads all around, around August time. Having a full stainless exhaust fitted today (need a car for my job, essential travel). It's not the greatest of cars but it's fun and I'll put some life back into it while I have it :D

mk1 with the 1.8T is quite a fun car still :D

Associate
OP
mk1 with the 1.8T is quite a fun car still :D

Yes, it's a lot of fun :D I've not driven it much though due to the current situation. Much better now the exhaust is done. Most of the turbo lag is gone.

Oh my, you took a suggestion from Acme? This does not bode well, he didn't look at it for you as well did he? :D

Haha was that a bad idea? No, I'm usually enough on my own to make a bad decision lol.

Back
Top Bottom