Best Solution for unique Wireless Network

Soldato
Hello all,

I am looking at creating a decent wireless setup for a friends new house.

Their new house is currently wired as follows:

- Half the house has multiple Cat6 ethernet sockets (sockets, not cables) per room
(This feeds into a central server room with a rack and location of BT Smart Hub 2)

- The other half of the house does not have ethernet sockets.

The server room has a rack with multiple ports include POE

To keep things simple for them, I'd like spread one SSID around the entire house.

What's the best solution here?

Particularly as we want something that allows roaming.

And also particularly as half the house is wired up with CAT6, but the other half of the house is not (and is quite far away from the central server room).

I'd like to hardwire any wireless access points or MESH etc if this possible to achieve max rates.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it has ‘sockets’ or rather faceplates, it has cables. Either replace them with a suitable PoE feed to each location you want an AP or pull more, you’ll be doing that in half the house anyway, and it’s a lot easier now than when they are in/decorated. You can also get faceplates that include an AP for a premium.

Soldato
OP
????

You plug one end of a network cable into the socket and the other end into the device. No obvious reason to rewire anything.

If I want to mount a brand new AP into the wall for example... The wall currently has female ethernet sockets, and as does any new AP point.

And to utilise the existing ethernet cable (which ends at the female socket), I'd have to re-wire it to become male again so it can be plugged into the AP point?

Soldato
If I want to mount a brand new AP into the wall for example... The wall currently has female ethernet sockets, and as does any new AP point.

And to utilise the existing ethernet cable (which ends at the female socket), I'd have to re-wire it to become male again so it can be plugged into the AP point?

if you want to use Ubiquiti In-wall access points then yes, you’ll need to reterminate the cable. But that’s pretty straightforward. Or, you could just use something like the Ubiquiti UAP-FlexHD which is a coke-can sized tube access point and that, as @bremen1874 suggests is just a case of running a short patch lead from the wall socket to the access point.

Back
Top Bottom