Moving Gaming PC to Garage Server Racking, HOW TO?

Associate
Hi all,
I have a very power hungry i7-5820k + 1080 TI in my gaming PC in my first floor of my house and its quite loud even water cooled (AIO)

I cant really OC it too much as it gets waaaay too loud :mad:

I have a server rack in my garage which is nice and cool and would like to move the PC there, what are my options???

I have GB Ethernet between all these devices

I have a 4k Acer Monitor (DVI only)

I also have a NUC I could use as a thin client or something???

Open to ideas, thanks in advance, :D

Caporegime
You could run hdmi over ethernet to get the video signal to your monitor, then have a hdmi to dvi converter, not sure what you could do about USB devices though.

Soldato
Linus did a video on this recently - but he had expensive cables and new hardware/cards that support things like DisplayPort and USB over Thunderbolt. Worth a watch.

Associate
OP
Thanks both,

I was hoping to use software only, like have the NUC in my study connected to my 4K screen / keyboard etc, then kinda remote in to the gaming PC in the rack

I dont really have any budget for this for expensive cables / adaptors etc

Associate
OP
Try using Steam remote play, I forget the name. Works ok but obviously will compress graphics and may not do 4k at all. Suits your needs perfectly though

Thanks, I took a look and on their webiste is this:

You can tune streaming resolution and bitrate for the best experience on your setup with Advanced Settings. Over a 5 GHz network, our target is a resolution of 1080p at 60 frames per second, with good quality for most scenes. If you have a powerful gaming rig, a wired network, and a capable client device, it's possible to stream 4K at 60 FPS.

But it seems like you cannot use the desktop / other programs of the Gaming PC, only games, but I will deffo give it a go thanks,

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Sounds good, I will try it when I get home tonight

Also found a program called Parsec:

https://parsecgaming.com/

Anyone used it before? looks like it may be perfect for my needs

I've used it before works pretty well. You can also use it to game remotely if you like (you'll need a decent low latency Internet connection for past paced games obviously).

There are others such as Moonlight which some say are better.. I'd try both. https://moonlight-stream.org

I've been looking to do something similar recently too, I want to hide my PC out the way and ideally be able to use a HDMI splitter to switch output between a couple of different rooms. Looks like I'm going to need fancy hdmi extenders if I want to avoid having extra hardware on the end to reach 4k@60Hz though. I have just come across fibre optic hdmi cables this morning though, wonder if they may help

Associate
OP
I've used it before works pretty well. You can also use it to game remotely if you like (you'll need a decent low latency Internet connection for past paced games obviously).

There are others such as Moonlight which some say are better.. I'd try both. https://moonlight-stream.org

I've been looking to do something similar recently too, I want to hide my PC out the way and ideally be able to use a HDMI splitter to switch output between a couple of different rooms. Looks like I'm going to need fancy hdmi extenders if I want to avoid having extra hardware on the end to reach 4k@60Hz though. I have just come across fibre optic hdmi cables this morning though, wonder if they may help
Thanks, let me know how you get on,

Back
Top Bottom