How much do you pay for fttp

Man of Honour
Hi guys,
They are stringing up overhead fiber outside the house at the moment -woo! Going from a 5mb fiber to the cabinets.

What are you guys paying for your fttp & from what providers?

Also anyone know how to find out what providers will offer in my area? Openreach still shows planned.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys,
They are stringing up overhead fiber outside the house at the moment -woo! Going from a 5mb fiber to the cabinets.

What are you guys paying for your fttp & from what providers?

Also anyone know how to find out what providers will offer in my area? Openreach still shows planned.

Thanks

£54 a month for 330/50mbps - but as of the 23rd of march ( next month 1gbps will launch ) this should mean a price drop.

Soldato
Who is that with @faceman123 ? We can get FTTP but only reasonably priced provider is BT.

That's BT - I am upgrading to 1gbps soon with them ( when they announce it ) however vodafone FTTP is far cheapter 1gb up and down for £40 atm - with cityfibre - not in my street for a year tho :(. dont buy online call up and moan you can get it cheaper. mines was supposed to be £67 a month - got a giftcard etc to

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Interesting. We've a few months left on our current provider, looking to make the switch. Thanks for the tip.

Soldato
Using a cash back back site you can get the 300 Mbps service from BT for £45 a month, when the faster tiers are released I’m going to guess this will drop to £40, 500 will be £50 and 1000 £60.

Hopefully Sky, Talk Talk, Vodafone etc will start offering packages soon using Openreach’s FTTP network to get lower prices.

Soldato
Thanks guys, guess I’m not surprised BT is so expensive

You would have really hated paying for ISDN/ADSL/Cable at launch. Sky, TT etc. already offer FTTP via OR, the trick is to look at the overall contract price less cash back and gift cards etc. and not the headline price - that's for people who are daft enough to think lowest monthly price = best deal. To answer your specific question, £59.99 comes out of my account each month specifically for Ultrafast 2 (retail), but that takes no account of the cash back, gifts/gift cards and compensation, which means I pay less on average over the course of the contract than most providers offer FTTC for.

Last edited:
Associate
Hyperoptic 1000/1000 for £45.50 p/m (inc. £5 add on for static IP) I see ~115MB/s through Steam etc

No real need for that speed, but it's very nice to have :D

Associate
BT Ultrafast 2 (330/50) - £59.99. I will upgrade to the 1gbps service when it's launched next year unless its more than £70 a month. Toob are going to be offering a 1gbps/1gbps service in 2021 so looking to jump onto that.

Soldato
Mind if I ask
What you guys do that needs 1Gbs?
Just curious as that's a LOT
Of speed

I think it's because services like netflix/youtube and smart phones have made users demand content instantly, i hate waiting for downloads now and uploading pics and files, 1gbps has been the norm in romania poland etc since 2005. we are so far behind, with 4k media etc and games getting bigger 1gbps makes more and more sense, at 1gbps some games can still take a good while to download

Associate
For me, it's the fact that game patches are massive these days, as are games. My fiancée and I game together with friends so we have to double up on all downloads. It also means if we fancy playing a certain game, we can download it a lot quicker. We both thought we would give COD MW a try with friends, it was over 300GB to download. On our connection it took just over 2 hours. On 1gbps, it would have taken about 45 minutes, it makes it much easier to spontaneously start playing a game. I also want faster upload as 50mbps isn't that great when you have a bunch of smart devices constantly uploading.

Caporegime
This might come across slightly elitist but the people who can afford to pay £50+ a month for internet on its own, are usually fairly busy individuals, so it's nice for example on a Sunday afternoon if you have a bit of free time to be able to download a game or a full UHD film within minutes. You can of course plan ahead and download things overnight etc but it's nice to just have almost instant access to anything.

It seems like within the past year or so and going forward into this year that 330-1000mbps services are becoming more widely available, Virgin are really pushing their deployment and it's about time to promote competition and to catch up to some places in Europe that are near enough third world in other departments!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hyperoptic 1000/1000 for £45.50 p/m (inc. £5 add on for static IP) I see ~115MB/s through Steam etc

No real need for that speed, but it's very nice to have :D

It's interesting the actual speeds. When I had my 900 installed the guy said it's 1000 in reality, but they like to state 900 in case it's not achievable. I see over 100MB/s when downloading, usually internet speeds under delivery :p

bkd2Ixe.png

Associate
It's interesting the actual speeds. When I had my 900 installed the guy said it's 1000 in reality, but they like to state 900 in case it's not achievable. I see over 100MB/s when downloading, usually internet speeds under delivery :p
For sure haha, very nice not to worry about patches etc

This was from the end of last year:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom