AMD 3900x What the best stable distro ?

Associate
What is the most stable / best Linux distro for a AMD 3900x , having problems with random lockups , not sure if it`s the CPU or having a 2070 super which is the problem.
( Want to use pcie passthrough / vm after if I can get it stable , windows 10 under Linux )
Tried Debian and can't even get it to boot in kde or gnome.
OpenSuse is running in kde , at idle 0% cpu , 28c , 2200mhz , which is how I want it , but I get a random lock up after a few hours by just opening a new window etc , Loaded nvidia drivers , which looked to have made xubuntu more stable.
xubuntu looked stable with the nvidia drivers , but had problem with it being a cpu hog on idle , ruuning at 20% cpu and about 38c ( gnome ) and a few little problems like sensors only showing the cpu temp.

Associate
I'm running Debian KDE with a 3800X. Rock solid with no problems at all.

I'm using a Vega 64 so I would suspect the graphics drivers or something else personally.

What kernel versions have you tried? Some of the latest kernels have Zen 2 optimisations included, iirc.

Man of Honour
Completely stable here with a 3700X but AMD GPU. Linux is incredibly stable nowadays, so something else is going on. I would suggest trying Pop OS because it's based on Ubuntu but also has a completely separate download for nVidia GPU's.

Do you get the lockups in Windows too?

Associate
OP
I'm running Debian KDE with a 3800X. Rock solid with no problems at all.

I'm using a Vega 64 so I would suspect the graphics drivers or something else personally.

What kernel versions have you tried? Some of the latest kernels have Zen 2 optimisations included, iirc.

I could not get Debian 10.x with the default kernel to show the log-in screen on kde or gnome, it would just show a blank screen.
I'm trying Kubuntu right now which looks to be stable with the nvidia drivers installed, with low overheads on kde and looks nice and polished.
It looks to have been optimised for zen 2s with a update added for AMD microcode.
You may be right about the video drivers , because I'm not sure if openSUSE installs the nvidia drivers correctly.

Associate
OP
Completely stable here with a 3700X but AMD GPU. Linux is incredibly stable nowadays, so something else is going on. I would suggest trying Pop OS because it's based on Ubuntu but also has a completely separate download for nVidia GPU's.

Do you get the lockups in Windows too?

Does my Windows lockup too ? , No , Well not now .
I had the same problem with windows at first before I installed the chip set drivers and the nvidia drivers , now total rock solid.
The only problem I get with windows is the chip set usb2 port , which on the default bios setting give me a lot of problems , eg PCIe gen setting was on Auto I set that to Gen3 etc.

I think to get it stable it needs to install the drivers from nvidia.
I was going to try Manjaro , but never tried any arch based distros before , Will try pop os and see if that looks better than kubutu .

Soldato
Ubuntu LTS has nvidia drivers in the main repos now, any ubuntu LTS derivative will likely have them as well.

I would be more inclined to think this was a graphics issue than a CPU one.

Man of Honour
Maybe it is a motherboard driver issue? Are you running an X570? I am running an X570 with no issues but I am also on a recent kernel (Kububtu 19.10). You could try something newer like that to make sure you have the necessary drivers in the kernel.

So I would try Kububtu 19.10 and then if that doesn't work try Pop OS with the nVidia drivers. Pop might be on an older kernel which is why I also suggest Kububtu 19.10.

Associate
OP
Maybe it is a motherboard driver issue? Are you running an X570? I am running an X570 with no issues but I am also on a recent kernel (Kububtu 19.10). You could try something newer like that to make sure you have the necessary drivers in the kernel.

So I would try Kububtu 19.10 and then if that doesn't work try Pop OS with the nVidia drivers. Pop might be on an older kernel which is why I also suggest Kububtu 19.10.

Kububtu 19.10 is totally stable with it's default kernel which gets a AMD microcode update after install.
It's been running over 12 hours now constant with a windows 10 VM running in the background.
Yes it is a Gigabyte auros master x570 motherboard !!! , the only driver issue in windows is not installing the drivers, other than the intel driver now don't support Vlan .
Looking at the dmesg logs the kernel booted without errors , the only problems with the logs was it saying it wasn't using ecc memory.
Now I have the fun of trying to pass a video card direct to the VM with PCI passthrough , and due to the 3900x not having a built in gpu I may have to get a second video which they say most be different than the first , so looking for a low powered AMD card which doesn't need extra power.

Associate
I had a similar problem which was being caused by an nvidia irq process maxing out a single core. Try installing the nvidia-persistenced service from here /usr/share/doc/nvidia/samples/ if it is not already running.

Permabanned
I honestly found NVIDIA drivers easier to install and better before AMD open sourced their stack. Both on Linux and on FreeBSD. But I always installed from the installer found on the NVIDIA website. The biggest ballache I found with NVIDIA came with automatic switchable graphics on laptops.

I'm all AMD (both CPU and GPU) right now and it's nice to just install and go and have great graphics support without having to go through the steps of installing NVIDIAs dedicated drivers on Linux (despite how easy it was). Sure beats the open source NVIDIA alternative nouveau anyway.

oap

oap

Associate
Easiest to google it for the distro you intend to use, used to be a program, ukuu?, that did it for you but i dont think it is free anymore.

Soldato
hi i tried this but it kept crashing wheni would change my res of first monitor to 240hz any suggestions? my spec is in sig

Try useing the 5.5 kernel like oap said.

In Manjaro go to the Manjaro setting manager>> Kernels

It's listed in there , simple click to install.

Don't have a 240hz monitor only a 144 that has no issues am using a AMD card so not realy comparable tbh as NV blob driver is well I'll just leave it at that :p

Back
Top Bottom