• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Associate
Even just the comments on this thread looking back a few weeks is comedy gold now :p
12 Teraflops of RDNA 2.0 says hi. Phil Spencer says hi, next gen games are targeting 4k 60 to 120fps over HDMI 2.1

Marketing is getting to you already. You're easy!

By the way, Phil Spencer will say anything to sell an Xbox.

Also, not every game will run at 60fps+. Very few customers will have VRR TV's. Therefore, a frame rate cap will still need to be put in place.

I stand by my comment.

Soldato
OP
Marketing is getting to you already. You're easy!

By the way, Phil Spencer will say anything to sell an Xbox.

Also, not every game will run at 60fps+. Very few customers will have VRR TV's. Therefore, a frame rate cap will still need to be put in place.

I stand by my comment.
Well let's see if its 30fps again like your prediction.

It's also amusing how active you were in the Google Stadia thread until it turned out to be a flop and you went silent and moved on.

I doubt you'd ever accept being wrong regardless.

Soldato
Then how do you justify a £1000 gpu?

Does everyone suddenly demand 4k 120fps?

I don't really understand what route pc gaming will take. Cyberpunk will be amazing on pc, but if its 4k/60 on a next gen console then why even bother with pc?

The gap seems to be closing and either consoles or things like stadia could finally change the pc gaming world in a way people used to claim for years.
Maybe it just me

But to me a Gaming PC and a Gaming console are two very different things..

A big part of buying a game for me is playing around with all the settings, benchmarks, Drivers, being able to choose if I want to play it at for rough example low setting 140fps, med setting 100fps, high settings 80fps, ultra settings 50fps
The feeling of paying £50 for a console game and knowing it could look better with higher settings on a PC ;)
Playing FPS with mouse & keyboard
No Consoles at the moment support ultra wide with these new consoles ?

Consoles are great for people that like the way they can just simply pick up a gamepad, lay back in a chair and click the play icon and everything else is done for them

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maybe it just me

But to me a Gaming PC and a Gaming console are two very different things..

A big part of buying a game for me is playing around with all the settings, benchmarks, Drivers, being able to choose if I want to play it at low setting 120fps, med setting 80fps, high settings 60fps, ultra settings 40fps
The feeling of paying £50 for a console game and knowing it could look better with higher settings on a PC ;)
Playing FPS with mouse & keyboard

Consoles are great for people that like the way they can just simply click the play icon and everything is done for them

This is where I'm different. Maybe it's my age or something but I get a pc game, spend 5 mins finding best quality settings and then pray I never have to touch that crap again. Benchmarks and drivers must be a hobbyist kinda thing because they are a nause to me.

As for console games, I bought a ps4 Pro last year and what I paid for games was:

Resi 2 - £13
Horizon zero dawn - £15
God of war £15
Spiderman £13
Crash racing - £22
Tekken 7 - £7.99
Dragon ball fighter z - £7.99

And then a bunch of other games that came free with my ps Plus sub that cost £25 for 12 months.

The landscape has changed a bit since SNES days and £65 Street fighter 2.

I'd never ditch my pc because my dota 2 addiction is too strong but for most other things, like a full Hdr and surround sound experience, my consoles win.

Soldato
I'd never ditch my pc because my dota 2 addiction is too strong but for most other things, like a full Hdr and surround sound experience, my consoles win.
This is the problem I find

I cannot ditch my gaming PC because there are always going be some games you want to play only on a PC
I remember how crap playing command & conquer games on my PS1 console using a gamepad the same with FPS shooters

If these new consoles have proper mouse & keyboard support that would change things a lot

Associate
This is where I'm different. Maybe it's my age or something but I get a pc game, spend 5 mins finding best quality settings and then pray I never have to touch that crap again. Benchmarks and drivers must be a hobbyist kinda thing because they are a nause to me.

As for console games, I bought a ps4 Pro last year and what I paid for games was:

Resi 2 - £13
Horizon zero dawn - £15
God of war £15
Spiderman £13
Crash racing - £22
Tekken 7 - £7.99
Dragon ball fighter z - £7.99

And then a bunch of other games that came free with my ps Plus sub that cost £25 for 12 months.

The landscape has changed a bit since SNES days and £65 Street fighter 2.

Remortgage the house, sell a kidney, buy a 3080 ti-Ti super and never worry about touching settings again because everything will be on max settings and run flawlessly.... at least for 12 months or so anyway

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well let's see if its 30fps again like your prediction.

It's also amusing how active you were in the Google Stadia thread until it turned out to be a flop and you went silent and moved on.

I doubt you'd ever accept being wrong regardless.
He is wrong a lot of the time. That’s why he disappears for long periods of time. Careful though, if you corner him, he will start becoming a child and throwing silly insults at you. Watch, he will likely prove me right by replying to this post with a childish insult or disappearing for a while :p

He speaks with so much confidence, like he really knows what he is talking about. Was so much fun seeing him embarrass himself in the Stadia thread and then disappear :D

Soldato
OP
He is wrong a lot of the time. That’s why he disappears for long periods of time. Careful though, if you corner him, he will start becoming a child and throwing silly insults at you. Watch, he will likely prove me right by replying to this post with a childish insult or disappearing for a while :p

He speaks with so much confidence, like he really knows what he is talking about. Was so much fun seeing him embarrass himself in the Stadia thread and then disappear :D
Yeah he speaks with such conviction it just opens him up to look silly.

He says he certainly won't buy a next gen console but if they turned out to be a game changer then I doubt he would stay that stubborn for long.

Soldato
One question to blow the entire discussion out of the water - why would AMD risk crippling the PC gaming market after their recent success?

Don’t be daft now folks..

Both unreleased consoles represent a 5/10.

Soldato
Personally I think the new consoles seem great, and relatively far better than the original xbox 1 and ps4 at launch.

But that said, I will be amazed if even the new consoles will be outputting 4k / 60 on all games at the highest detail levels compared to a PC...... Does that matter? I dunno, time will tell, but whilst it is true console games prices have come down, at the same time so have pc games (if you look beyond the launch prices or the handful of games which prove the exception). With humble bundle and steam sales i doubt i will ever need to buy a full price game again.

Also we have the peripheral issue..... MS have so far shown no interest in console VR so that alone rules out the xbox for me..... Sony DO support VR so that is definitely advantage playstation for me but will just depend on what PSVR 2 specs are.... but even then there are 2 major blockers for me personally..... 1) paying for online play does not sit well with me and 2) I am kind of stuck with what ever my mates choose to game on.

my final thought is this.... IF the people here are correct that console is going to kill PC gaming (a prediction which is always wheeled out before a new console release since almost the dawn of time) then NV and AMD are not going to stop making gpus..... high end gpus are needed for stuff other game gaming and then something will need to be done with the chips which dont quite make the grade.

therefore if no one buys them then they will just have to cut prices, which will then bring pcs back into contention.

oh and my real final thought is................ with no space restrictions and a bigger budget imo technically pcs will generally always be better than a small factor console.. and imo developers will always use that extra power for more shinies..... so sure maybe the new consoles will run cyberpunk at 4k/60.... but hopefully the bar will just be raised for pc. something will always bring pcs to their knees. we are not at photo realism yet.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
always surprises me how far people will push it when new consoles get announced, first up unless the game is very basic the new xbox WILL NOT DO 4K 120FPS its got less graphical power than a 2080ti, FACT!

next up something i saw on reddit, poeple confusing the 20% faster on RDNA2 and running with it to the idiotic conclusion that it means the terraflops are 20% faster as well, not the score but the actually measurement unit is 20% faster now Oo

end of the day the new xbox will be a beast of a console yes, but just take a breath and stop making stuff up about what it will do and how powerful it is, and wait for it to be seen in public at least, because all we know now is what its actually going to look like and its claimed (yes claimed) specs.

Soldato
I predict Indy games will run at 4K 120 and some will fill their boots, and target 8K 30, with the sharpest looking version of Tetris in the known universe.

I predict 1st party games will run at 4K 60 because Microsoft will demand it as a USP for the Series X.

I predict 3rd party AAA games will run at 4K 30 because they will want prettier looking pixels to sell the games, more than they will care about 60fps.

:p

Soldato

Woah, can't remember last time I learned a new word (that wasn't technical)! Interesting, was trying to figure out if you misspelled it at first but then figured maybe not.

nause (one) out
slang To cause one to feel disgust, repulsion, or nausea; to gross one out. A noun or pronoun can be used between "nause" and "out." Primarily heard in US.

Soldato
Remember 2 weeks ago when Nvidia said a RTX2080 max Q laptop would beat next gen consoles? :p HAHA good one

Remember when Stadia said it would beat next gen consoles? :p HAHA good one

Soldato
12 Teraflops of RDNA 2.0 says hi. Phil Spencer says hi, next gen games are targeting 4k 60 to 120fps over HDMI 2.1

Nothing has changed. 12 tflops is not enough for current gen 4k 60fps so it won't be remotely enough for next gen games which will feature significantly improved graphics. You're a marketing guy's wet dream.

Caporegime
Nothing has changed. 12 tflops is not enough for current gen 4k 60fps so it won't be remotely enough for next gen games which will feature significantly improved graphics. You're a marketing guy's wet dream.

Of course it is, in a closed system with just one specification to optimise games for

Soldato
Ill buy a ps5

Simply cause for 500 quid or so ill be running next gen games on a 4k oled tv

my current pc is vastly outdated 3770k isnt too bad at 4.5ghz but the twin 670s' cards are, just replacing the cards with a current waterblocked model stripping and rebuilding my watercooling setup would probably cost more than the 500 quid on its own let alone considering a new mobo cpu and ddr4 setup on top

yes I could ditch the watercooling but then im looking at more time and i'd still need to by a cpu cooler

Ill take 30fps for 500 quid over no fps or a 2k build

Back
Top Bottom