Nissan 370Z?

Soldato
Evening all,

I'm considering one of these in the coming months to replace my NC2 MX5. I'll probably be spending roughly 11k and and currently looking at the coupe with manual and the GT spec. Any keys things to keep an eye out for?

I know the tax is ridiculous but other than that I haven't seen many stories of issues.

All thoughts appreciated!

Soldato
They are heavy and you really feel it, especially coming from something like an MX-5. But it's a lot of engine for the money.

The 350z was reliable as long as you only ran it on premium fuel (most high performance Jap cars drink premium). Not sure if the 370 is the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They're heavy as said, not something I'd consider unless you want a gt car?
Well I am considering going more that way. My commute is about 40 miles a day now on an A road primarily. I've also been eying up an XK :p

The MX5 is great on the roads I was on (country lanes) but for commuting it's pretty uninteresting.

Soldato
If you're considering cars of this type, a TT should also be in consideration. 4 wheel drive would work well on those country lanes.

Incredibly comfy (in the front :p)

TT is pretty dull though. It doesnt have the character of a proper sports car.

Associate
I’ve had mine for 4 years now. Came from a 350 and it while it was an upgrade interior wise, it was slight. It’s not the most refined interior and is the worst part about the car. Otherwise it did feel like a worthy upgrade.

Mines a 60 plate gt auto.

If you get one, make sure you check the steering lock fuse. Some newer ones (>2012 I think) are ok but otherwise you need to pull it out. 370z forums have threads on it.

Car tax is top bracket too.

otherwise the car does well tbh. It’s not liking the snow here at the moment..

Soldato
OP
I’ve had mine for 4 years now. Came from a 350 and it while it was an upgrade interior wise, it was slight. It’s not the most refined interior and is the worst part about the car. Otherwise it did feel like a worthy upgrade.

Mines a 60 plate gt auto.

If you get one, make sure you check the steering lock fuse. Some newer ones (>2012 I think) are ok but otherwise you need to pull it out. 370z forums have threads on it.

Car tax is top bracket too.

otherwise the car does well tbh. It’s not liking the snow here at the moment..
I think given I'd be coming from an MX5 it'd probably feel quite refined in comparison!

If you're considering cars of this type, a TT should also be in consideration. 4 wheel drive would work well on those country lanes.

Incredibly comfy (in the front :p)
A friend of mine has a similar era TTS and whilst quite nice and quick it doesn't really do anything for me. It just seems a bit characterless.

I've considered a Cayman too but the one I'd be able to afford would be 4 or 5 years old and likely more costly to maintain.

Soldato
OP
As mentioned, they are very heavy / a lot of effort to drive! I had my Nismo 370Z 3 months before I had enough and moved on. A Z4 is a vastly better alternative
What do you mean by a lot of effort to drive? Heavy steering?

Which Z4 do you refer to? If the most powerful engined of the similar era Z4 then those are anothe 4k or so I think? I do like those but a bit of a stretch for me. If the previous gen then that's a bit dated even compared to the 370Z isn't it?

Associate
What do you mean by a lot of effort to drive? Heavy steering?

Which Z4 do you refer to? If the most powerful engined of the similar era Z4 then those are anothe 4k or so I think? I do like those but a bit of a stretch for me. If the previous gen then that's a bit dated even compared to the 370Z isn't it?

Very heavy steering and clutch, plus notchy gear box.

You can get in to a Z4 35i or 35is for similar money with the N54, the E89 generation z4 that is, a few mods and they will make circa 430bhp, and blow the 370z away in every department. They are more expensive to repair and service generally though.

Soldato
OP
Very heavy steering and clutch, plus notchy gear box.

You can get in to a Z4 35i or 35is for similar money with the N54, the E89 generation z4 that is, a few mods and they will make circa 430bhp, and blow the 370z away in every department. They are more expensive to repair and service generally though.
I quite like the 'simple' nature of the 370Z in that I can probably do a fair bit myself if bits do need doing. The BMW computer systems worry me slightly.

Might have a look at a few to see if i can be tempted!

Isn't the Boxster a better option? Bar potential running costs.

Or a Cayman?
Would have to get a much older one so sort of put me off tbh.

Associate
They are heavy and you really feel it, especially coming from something like an MX-5. But it's a lot of engine for the money.

The 350z was reliable as long as you only ran it on premium fuel (most high performance Jap cars drink premium). Not sure if the 370 is the same.

I have driven a 370z Nismo a few times as a daily option but haven’t managed to pull the trigger on one yet, I actually felt it aligned quite well with how the NC feels, and thought it carried its weight well, though it should be said my NC is shod with stupidly big wheels and tyres so perhaps I am used to an MX5 with the edge taken off a bit for grip :D

Like the NC they don’t feel particularly quick but you get to silly numbers quite easily, I have also tried the Z4, it was good, but doesn’t do it for me.

I still look at them now as they are quite honest cars, they are always in my shopping list, it is an old school car, you can buy new, simple formula, rwd coupe, revvy NA engine, manual and not packed with silly toys, a hard thing to buy these days, nearly everything has a turbo or an auto, I want NA, for throttle response and to control the gears myself, I don’t care if I am slower, I am still mulling one over, it is between this and an ND-RF or I just give up and by a german auto like everyone else….

Associate
lol
I have driven a 370z Nismo a few times as a daily option but haven’t managed to pull the trigger on one yet, I actually felt it aligned quite well with how the NC feels, and thought it carried its weight well, though it should be said my NC is shod with stupidly big wheels and tyres so perhaps I am used to an MX5 with the edge taken off a bit for grip :D

Like the NC they don’t feel particularly quick but you get to silly numbers quite easily, I have also tried the Z4, it was good, but doesn’t do it for me.

I still look at them now as they are quite honest cars, they are always in my shopping list, it is an old school car, you can buy new, simple formula, rwd coupe, revvy NA engine, manual and not packed with silly toys, a hard thing to buy these days, nearly everything has a turbo or an auto, I want NA, for throttle response and to control the gears myself, I don’t care if I am slower, I am still mulling one over, it is between this and an ND-RF or I just give up and by a german auto like everyone else….

The VQ37 in the 370Z feels lethargic imo, surpised you described it as quite 'revvy'

Back
Top Bottom