**The Official Star Wars Battlefront II Thread (PC)**

Soldato
What happened to DX12?

It never really took off, some devs tried to ‘tack’ it on as an awkward ‘layer’ on top of dx11 but it’s always come with associated problems such as in this game. A few games were actually built ground up using only d12 and these were very good but can literally be counted on one hand.

Soldato
I'm using a 3700x and my gtx1080, and it's pretty good. One thing I've found, is frostbite loves cores. Going from my trusty old 2600k to this there seemed to be an improvement in stability and possibly minimum frames. Doesn't stop me wanting a 2080ti though (or a 3080ti:D).

Soldato
I see, thanks for the background.

Is there really a discernible difference between both?
I was being slightly sarcastic back there but yes if a game is built on dx11 and has DX12 tacked on it’s never great.

Games like forza horizon 4 are marvellous examples of what DX12 can do with 4K 60 ultra being easily achievable on a 2070.

Soldato
I was being slightly sarcastic back there but yes if a game is built on dx11 and has DX12 tacked on it’s never great.

Games like forza horizon 4 are marvellous examples of what DX12 can do with 4K 60 ultra being easily achievable on a 2070.
Ah gotcha :) Sarcasm monitor not functional today :)
But thanks for all the insights nonetheless, without this thread and you guys, I would be completely non the wiser. Cheers again.

Soldato
Ah gotcha :) Sarcasm monitor not functional today :)
But thanks for all the insights nonetheless, without this thread and you guys, I would be completely non the wiser. Cheers again.
Tbh I find it very hard to work out if people are sarcastic on the web, but I agree, normally dx12 is crap (although I seem to remember it being something and support natively and nvidia don't).

Soldato
It never really took off, some devs tried to ‘tack’ it on as an awkward ‘layer’ on top of dx11 but it’s always come with associated problems such as in this game. A few games were actually built ground up using only d12 and these were very good but can literally be counted on one hand.
Games will eventually move to DX12 especially with next gen consoles. Its adoption rate so far has been terrible though.

Last time I checked I lost around 40% fps when I set BF2 on DX12 with a 1080ti.

Caporegime
Dx 12 was a god send for my last PC i.e. a weak CPU with a decent GPU at 1080P, the majority of games ran far better (except for bf 1) minimum FPS shot right up, overall the frame latency was lower and more consistent, which in return offered a smoother experience. I haven't really tested it on my newer system though as felt no need to, that and I haven't gone back to the older games to see how they run now.

But for games like this, that already run superbly on dx 11 on the of majority of systems, there probably isn't much need to use dx 12 unless you are having performance issues.

Also, it seemed to only really be AMD GPUs that benefited from it, it just harmed performance on systems with nvidia gpus (might be different with the newer GPUs now though)

Soldato
Anyone played Ewok Hunt?

Quite a scary addition! I love it when it flashes up that such and such player has been ‘taken by the Forest’!

Soldato
It certainly does.

I use one with both SP and MP.
I tried it before and it did not work but today it is for some reason? hopefully it will continue to work.
Using DX12, Optimizing shaders takes > 10mins for the menu and then runs for every level, WTF?

Last edited:
Associate
Man I can't believe I owned the game since it came out. A mate gave it to me as a B-Day present. I had it installed for a long while but never fired it, was into Anthem. I tried now after reading this post and boy I had fun. Not so much fun when high level players were killing me but still fun.

Soldato
Absolutely loving this, and playing with my my son.

We tend to do co-op scenarios together to grind levels out on the various classes before we head into supremacy.

Hero wise? The only one I am any good at is Bossk. Most jedis, I just cant seem to get the hang of it.

Soldato
Man I can't believe I owned the game since it came out. A mate gave it to me as a B-Day present. I had it installed for a long while but never fired it, was into Anthem. I tried now after reading this post and boy I had fun. Not so much fun when high level players were killing me but still fun.

Best to play some co-op to get your characters leveled up.

As I use a pad, it's what I mostly play.

Associate
Nice update today. Some new guns and the new co-op maps are fun. Great to be able to play some new heroes in co-op. The new officer weapon is downright nasty :D

Back
Top Bottom