**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
GSMArena have an early camera comparison up between the S20U, the P30 Pro and the Note 10+.

The early conclusion is "we're excited and also a bit disappointed."

Soldato
GSMArena have an early camera comparison up between the S20U, the P30 Pro and the Note 10+.

The early conclusion is "we're excited and also a bit disappointed."

Their reasons for the disappointment seem a little odd to me. Gripes about 100x zoom being marketed when really it's just a gimmick (fair enough I guess, maybe I just didn't expect anything other than a gimmick!) and issues with 2x zoom not being as good because it's not an optical zoom - you're always going to get this unless have a lens for each zoom level you want. I'd rather sacrifice 2x zooming and crop the image and have a usable 3-5x zoom!

There does, however, seem to be an issue with autofocus on the Ultra. Even in some reviews that didn't pick it out, I can see in the image samples the focus wasn't quite where you'd expect it to be. There's an update out in Korea now, hopefully this addresses some of the issues.

Soldato
I want to see more lowlight pictures with any sort of movements. This is where the pixel shines and I'm amazed at times, things are so sharp when I expected them to be a blurry mess.

Soldato
and issues with 2x zoom not being as good because it's not an optical zoom - you're always going to get this unless have a lens for each zoom level you want. I'd rather sacrifice 2x zooming and crop the image and have a usable 3-5x zoom!

I think you have a point and they have a point. I imagine that once the fun and games of big zoom fades, many people will just want a photo that's a little bit zoomed (this will probably be me), at which point a slightly compromised 2x becomes more of an issue. I'm not saying it's a big issue and maybe the S20U is in danger of becoming a victim of its own hype in that everyone is expecting it to be head and shoulders above the competition.

EDIT - anyway, I'm looking forward to the S20 and S20+ results as well (of which there has been less news). If they can make their cameras significantly better at night than the S10 range, then they'll be great all-rounders.

Soldato
I think you have a point and they have a point. I imagine that once the fun and games of big zoom fades, many people will just want a photo that's a little bit zoomed (this will probably be me), at which point a slightly compromised 2x becomes more of an issue. I'm not saying it's a big issue and maybe the S20U is in danger of becoming a victim of its own hype in that everyone is expecting it to be head and shoulders above the competition.

EDIT - anyway, I'm looking forward to the S20 and S20+ results as well (of which there has been less news). If they can make their cameras significantly better at night than the S10 range, then they'll be great all-rounders.

Maybe something they can address in software - the S20/+ don't have a proper telephoto lens (the 64mp is 1.06x only) - they just crop from the 64mp sensor. Maybe the S20U can crop from the 108mp sensor to get the same results when doing anything below the 3x optical of the 48mp telephoto lens?

Soldato
Maybe something they can address in software - the S20/+ don't have a proper telephoto lens (the 64mp is 1.06x only) - they just crop from the 64mp sensor.

I knocked someone back earlier in the thread for suggesting there was no telephoto and later found they were right. A crop of a larger canvass surely can't be as good as a pure optical zoom result. I know software can make up for a lot of things, but still...

Soldato
I knocked someone back earlier in the thread for suggesting there was no telephoto and later found they were right. A crop of a larger canvass surely can't be as good as a pure optical zoom result. I know software can make up for a lot of things, but still...

I think that was me :p

That was one of the deciding factors for me to switch my pre order from the + to the ultra. I think most people will be happy with the results it gives them, considering most people have been happy pinch zooming pictures using digital zoom for years ;)

That's the thing to bear in mind with the S20 series - it's a mainstream phone it needs to appeal to the masses and they'll sell millions of them to Joe Public who just want to take selfies of themselves and apply hideous filters :rolleyes:

Folding cases are horribly impractical needing to open them all the time. Better to have a Spigen case that covers the back and sides and then a tempered glass screen protector.

They help prevent the screen being scratched in your pocket by keys and such. I hate screen protectors as they always mess with screen sensitivity even if you enable screen protector mode. I have only just fitted one to my old S9 plus as my partner is getting it when i upgrade and since it has become less responsive and also less accurate.

Soldato
Don't folding cases flap open at inopportune moments, like when the phone slips out of your hand and is heading for the floor? That is partially the reason I have never bought one.

Back
Top Bottom