Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
I think it's curious that a lot of the fixings and clips are rusted. The airbox ones are chromed, so how have they rusted? Suggests it's seen a fair amount of water, and maybe salty (seaside) air.

Edit: Also something is up with the left hand side battery mount. Should be a threaded bar like the right hand side. On a closer look at the photo there is more rust than I realised too.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I think it's curious that a lot of the fixings and clips are rusted. The airbox ones are chromed, so how have they rusted? Suggests it's seen a fair amount of water, and maybe salty (seaside) air.

Edit: Also something is up with the left hand side battery mount. Should be a threaded bar like the right hand side. On a closer look at the photo there is more rust than I realised too.

Thank you, shall give it a thorough going over, in email transactions they have confirmed within last 2000 miles and as part of their pre vehicle inspection check its had:
- New battery (so shall ask why it does not appear to be fitted correct)
- New front and rear pads
- New rear tyres

Looked at a few others under bonnet online with similar age and miles and some of those are corroded on all the clips and clamps too, whereas the black one I drove at weekend had no corrosion on the clips but a little on the metal frame part.

I am going to look over it very closely as every says its an honest car and I like cars with less owners and less miles, far less of a chance of accidents etc.
Shall see what other issues I can find but if I am happy with the car offer them 13k on it and no doubt be told to get lost. :D

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Things like rusted clips to me just says it's not been enthusiast owned; I'd take it as par the course of a generic car and would probably go around and replace them, and hoses, just to freshen it up. If the geo seems good, sills/arches clean and dry and honest service history then there's not a lot to go wrong.

I still regret not buying one when I had the chance six years ago!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

So I drove the 08 car, in person car seems pretty spotless, the under bonnet corrosion seems limited to just hose clamps and other metal clips only, all of the body and structure shows nothing, all the arches were spotless and it seems since that video / photos it has had a full brake over haul so new pads and disc all round and its lost the silly red calipers and now has silver ones so they were either painted or replaced.

The car felt mega tight, the 08 certainly does seem to handle nicer than the 05 and 06 I drove, just felt a lot tighter, bear in mind the 05 had 57k miles so not a mileage thing.

A couple of downsides and I know Honda engines loosen up but this car feels like its not being driven as it should, it did start to feel better as the drive went on but I cannot help but feel the car felt down on power, it was not as keen off Vtec or on Vtec, so it either has rubbish fuel, do these take 95 or 98 RON? Or it has simply being driven to the shops and back, only other downside is the roof has had a repair and it was running a set of Toledo tyres, never heard of the brand and though they might be new it is clearly not enthusiast owned car or cared for and driven as such, hence it just felt a bit slow, the 05 car felt stronger and the 06 near 100k car I drove felt stronger again.

They also refused to move the price, only offering a 12 month Honda warranty, I think I am pretty much going to walk away, its perfect money but not a perfect car though close. The DBW felt fine to me by the way and pressing of VSA just put a yellow exclamation on the dash in a triangle so I assume that was working.

Soldato
Hi there

So I drove the 08 car, in person car seems pretty spotless, the under bonnet corrosion seems limited to just hose clamps and other metal clips only, all of the body and structure shows nothing, all the arches were spotless and it seems since that video / photos it has had a full brake over haul so new pads and disc all round and its lost the silly red calipers and now has silver ones so they were either painted or replaced.

The car felt mega tight, the 08 certainly does seem to handle nicer than the 05 and 06 I drove, just felt a lot tighter, bear in mind the 05 had 57k miles so not a mileage thing.

A couple of downsides and I know Honda engines loosen up but this car feels like its not being driven as it should, it did start to feel better as the drive went on but I cannot help but feel the car felt down on power, it was not as keen off Vtec or on Vtec, so it either has rubbish fuel, do these take 95 or 98 RON? Or it has simply being driven to the shops and back, only other downside is the roof has had a repair and it was running a set of Toledo tyres, never heard of the brand and though they might be new it is clearly not enthusiast owned car or cared for and driven as such, hence it just felt a bit slow, the 05 car felt stronger and the 06 near 100k car I drove felt stronger again.

They also refused to move the price, only offering a 12 month Honda warranty, I think I am pretty much going to walk away, its perfect money but not a perfect car though close. The DBW felt fine to me by the way and pressing of VSA just put a yellow exclamation on the dash in a triangle so I assume that was working.

I stick with vpower on mine.

they run fine on 95 tho and I've seen owners run them on 95 and it's fine.

Hence my suggestion that 04-06 is the sweet spot. Still raw and fun and proper s2k experience.

Have you looked at s2k UK club for sale section? They usually have some hidden gems.

E.g.

https://www.s2kuk.com/classified/S2000-GT-Formula-Red-2006/422

Honestly with decent tyres they're fine without traction. They have bad name due to OEM tyres that they used to come on.

OcUK Staff
I stick with vpower on mine.

they run fine on 95 tho and I've seen owners run them on 95 and it's fine.

Hence my suggestion that 04-06 is the sweet spot. Still raw and fun and proper s2k experience.

Have you looked at s2k UK club for sale section? They usually have some hidden gems.

E.g.

https://www.s2kuk.com/classified/S2000-GT-Formula-Red-2006/422

Honestly with decent tyres they're fine without traction. They have bad name due to OEM tyres that they used to come on.

Problem I’ve got now having driven a 2008 it just felt tight and so direct the suspension updates make a difference.

The car I drove today if it felt as strong and urgent as the others I’d probably go for it as a one owner car with full Honda service history and years warranty is good peace of mind.

I just can’t help but feel it did not feel quite as urgent I’m tempted to drive it again but the dealer is an hour away and I don’t want to waste their time.

They have since come back saying lay it on us saying what we need to do to make a deal and I cheekily said £13,000 to which the sales guy choked and said I was thinking maybe the manager might accept £14,500

I think they’d probably do 14k on the car but it would always be on my mind but at same time the car might just need a tank of Vpower and ECU reset and some good hard driving and it might be better, as the saying goes it may just need a good old fashioned Italian tune up.

Rip in roof (repaired) ain’t best but I guess it’s par for the course that roofs do wear on these cars.

I’m eying up privately owned ones too but it’s hard to find standard cars that look clean and when I do find them they are miles away.

I’ve seen that red one at 11k and to me it’s over priced for a car with near 100k miles should be circa 9k

Associate
Could be old fuel. Any indication of how long it's been sitting? It genuinely could be the fact it's DBW, but I'm guessing. There's nothing like your right foot connected directly to the throttle body :D

Roofs... Not something to worry too much about, but allow about £400 to have the re-trim done. There's a guy in Swansea that everyone on s2ki uses. Fantastic work. He did the one on my first S2000. You would need to be a total S2000 nerd to know it wasn't factory.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Could be old fuel. Any indication of how long it's been sitting? It genuinely could be the fact it's DBW, but I'm guessing. There's nothing like your right foot connected directly to the throttle body :D

Roofs... Not something to worry too much about, but allow about £400 to have the re-trim done. There's a guy in Swansea that everyone on s2ki uses. Fantastic work. He did the one on my first S2000. You would need to be a total S2000 nerd to know it wasn't factory.

Well the car was hot too as sales guy had been to put fuel in it and I started and left it running to listen to it whilst checking it over so I guess heat soak and crap fuel maybe.

Vtec cross over was smoother than two previous car I’ve driven so maybe an 08/09 change ?

OcUK Staff
If it's a newer car it might have had FlashPro map put on it.

No chance that would suggest enthusiast owned this has been owned by someone I think who just wanted a two seater drop top and went Honda because a member of family owns Honda dealership it’s a totally stock car and has no doubt never being driven hard and probably ran on 95 unleaded.

Man of Honour
OP
One thing I've noticed with the various Type R's that I've owned, is that if they've been driven in a sedate manor continuously or have been stood for a while then they need a good thrashing to get back to top performance. Also if 95 RON has been used it may take a few tank fulls to clear it all out. Also when were the tappets last adjusted on it?

I would definitely be looking into when the clutch was last changed as it's a big job (£800+ IIRC) so if it's not been done perhaps budget for that depending on the mileage. And if you're getting the roof replaced don't be tempted by a cheap one as the materials aren't the best, you can definitely notice the difference.

OcUK Staff
One thing I've noticed with the various Type R's that I've owned, is that if they've been driven in a sedate manor continuously or have been stood for a while then they need a good thrashing to get back to top performance. Also if 95 RON has been used it may take a few tank fulls to clear it all out. Also when were the tappets last adjusted on it?

I would definitely be looking into when the clutch was last changed as it's a big job (£800+ IIRC) so if it's not been done perhaps budget for that depending on the mileage. And if you're getting the roof replaced don't be tempted by a cheap one as the materials aren't the best, you can definitely notice the difference.

The roof is bargaining chip for me, as it does not bother me because I cannot see it and I am that prat in a convertible with the roof down even in the Winter.
This car for sure fits bill of not driven hard and filled with 95 RON, its an honest car, just not enthusiast owned.

I shall ask about tappets, of course any car I buy if it has FHSH I shall maintain that, but I shall also do a host of stuff myself as I would with any car I buy that is a bit older like I did with the 172 Cup, so plugs, oil change, vtec service (if that has serviceable parts too, am sure it will have it owners filter maybe like vanos on a BMW does) and throw a set of Michelin PS4 on it as I am not driving an S2000 on on budget tyres.

Man of Honour
OP
Have a look into the new Goodyear Supersports, they may be a better option over the regular PS4 as I've read they are a bit soft. I think I'm getting the Supersports on my M140i when the MPSS finally wear out.

If it's just the clips in the engine bay that are rusty then get them replaced, I did it on mine and it looked miles better. As long as underneath and the sills are fine, also see if you can ask them to send you pics behind the front and rear bumpers as they hide a lot of rust. Mine was an 06 on 50k I think, I had it in 2014 ish and it had a lot of surface rust on it, but wasn't enthusiast owned at all, spent most of its life in London parked up.

OcUK Staff
Have a look into the new Goodyear Supersports, they may be a better option over the regular PS4 as I've read they are a bit soft. I think I'm getting the Supersports on my M140i when the MPSS finally wear out.

If it's just the clips in the engine bay that are rusty then get them replaced, I did it on mine and it looked miles better. As long as underneath and the sills are fine, also see if you can ask them to send you pics behind the front and rear bumpers as they hide a lot of rust. Mine was an 06 on 50k I think, I had it in 2014 ish and it had a lot of surface rust on it, but wasn't enthusiast owned at all, spent most of its life in London parked up.

Any S2000 I shall spend time restoring and making perfect, it will become a bit of a project car as the Ferrari there is nothing I can do and the Abarth there is nothing I can do, both are too new and both pretty much out the box great cars.

S2000 will be a project and I won't mod it as such just make it a really nice example and any mods will be to compliment the stock car, like a proper cold air feed to factory air box as an example and maybe a Hondata flash pro or tune to bring VTEC in a little earlier like maybe 4800rpm, but need to find one first.

Associate
Any S2000 I shall spend time restoring and making perfect, it will become a bit of a project car as the Ferrari there is nothing I can do and the Abarth there is nothing I can do, both are too new and both pretty much out the box great cars.

S2000 will be a project and I won't mod it as such just make it a really nice example and any mods will be to compliment the stock car, like a proper cold air feed to factory air box as an example and maybe a Hondata flash pro or tune to bring VTEC in a little earlier like maybe 4800rpm, but need to find one first.

Buy my already sorted supercharged one :p has had all bush's sorted, full history best year. best colour, perfect roof, Michelin ps4,rear arch's and behind rear bumper coated with POR15 and then bilt hamber underseal, plus bilt hamber cavity wax inside sills, 13.5k

Last edited:
Associate
I still stand by 2004-06 being the best car to buy.

Don't see why you'd need traction, it is a pain at best from people I know who have them.

unless it's your other half who will drive this? I did pay just under 15k for 27k mile 04 in great condition over a year ago just for reference.

they're not as snappy as people say but you just got to keep in mind where vtec point is as I believe that's what catches most out mid corner, roundabouts etc.
In 2012 I bought a 2007 car with 28k miles on, from a dealer for £11495. Crazy. It was red with the spoiler kit too. Looked mint.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
In 2012 I bought a 2002 car in silver, forget how many miles, was either 60 something or 80 something, and it had the full factory lip/side spats/rear spoiler and a recent new clutch, for £6k.

It was lovely, did 20k in the year or so I had it.

Then in 2017 I bought a 2004 silver one for £8500, didn’t gel with this one at all and did about 200 miles in it in a year then sold it as it was just sitting there.

Don’t think I ever filled it up after the day I picked it up!

Sold both of them to or through Torque GT, wish I’d kept the pictures from the 2004 car that they used for the ad as it looked really nice in them.

Back
Top Bottom