**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
Closer look at camera with comparisons to iPhone 11 Pro, Note 10 and Pixel 4

A $1,400 letdown
Samsung wants people to believe the S20 Ultra is a new beginning — it's got a new name after all — but I'm just sad the cameras don't live up to the hype.

The ridiculous zoom range is bananas and the image quality for photos is sharper compared to previous flagship phones like the Galaxy S10 and Note 10, but the highest 100x zoom is so low-res and shaky to shoot with it may as well not exist. I had wanted the 100x to not be a gimmick, but it is.

I also wanted the S20 Ultra's cameras to give the iPhone 11 Pro a real beatdown. It's been too long since anyone with any amount of weight was a real threat to Apple. But alas, the iPhone 11 Pro cameras are still better in nearly every way that matters: dynamic range, sharpness, color accuracy, and video.

If you're thinking that $1,400 will automatically buy you better photos and videos, you should probably get an iPhone.
You can for sure get some decent photos and videos with the S20 Ultra if you put in the work (like using the "pro" mode). But if you're thinking that ponying up $1,400 will automatically buy you better photos and videos, you should probably get an iPhone.

With the autofocusing issues, I can't recommend the S20 Ultra. At least, not until Samsung fixes it. Other than the beefy cameras, all of the other features on the S20 Ultra — the 120Hz refresh rate, big battery, a Snapdragon 865 chip, 5G, etc. — all exist in the less expensive S20 (starts at $999) and S20+ (starts at $1,199). If you really want a new Galaxy phone, both of these are better buys. Hell, even the Galaxy Note 10 is a better value, especially if you're using it to shoot video.

Update: An earlier version of this story said the Galaxy S20 Ultra's cameras randomly desaturated the colors. We now know the discoloration is the result of the HDR10+ setting being turned on. We've updated the story to clarify this.

https://www.inputmag.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-review-camera-comparison-flawed-autofocus

Samsung have reportedly in the last day or so pushed an update to resolve the auto focus issues so we’ll have to see how that fairs now. How and why that wasn’t resolved earlier is...

To me the ultra doesn’t really sound worth it over the regular models.

Be interesting to see S20 ultra v S20/+ not expecting a huge difference though.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't folding cases flap open at inopportune moments, like when the phone slips out of your hand and is heading for the floor? That is partially the reason I have never bought one.

I have a folding case that has a tiny magnet in it somewhere so stays closed but easily opens with the slightest of touches. It's for the S8. S20 could be an upgrade, and would probably go for something similar.

Associate
I decided to cancel my preorder after reading lots of reviews and watching videos on YouTube.

From the comparisons it doesn't appear to convincingly beat the iPhone Pro Max/Pixel 4. Sometimes it wins and other times it doesn't look like a big jump on my Note 10+ . Zoom to 10x is impressive but 100x is a gimmick as per all reviews.

I have this nagging thought that I only just purchased a note 10+ for 999 last September and now it's only worth £450 for trade in.

I'm going to wait for real world owners to review camera/battery life and also see what the newer generation of phones i.e. op8 pro, note 20 and iPhone offer before rushing into a purchase at this price.

I hope the phone is everything you want from it, I eagerly await the feedback of owners on here.

Associate
Have you got your numbers wrong? Its equivalent to £39.5 per month AFTER cashback. 39.5 x 24 = £948

What does 160GB 5G data plan cost at the moment? Let's say minimum 15/month though even that is very aggressive, I havent seen any network offer even 30GB 5G for less than 30 per month. Anyway, assume it's 15/month then that's 360 for 24 months. deduct that from the total price of the contract it works out to 588 for the "phone".

Add Note 9 trade in to samsung for 260, that works out to 328 for the phone. Seems like a great deal to me tbh for a flagship 5G phone

Associate
What does 160GB 5G data plan cost at the moment? Let's say minimum 15/month though even that is very aggressive, I havent seen any network offer even 30GB 5G for less than 30 per month. Anyway, assume it's 15/month then that's 360 for 24 months. deduct that from the total price of the contract it works out to 588 for the "phone".

Add Note 9 trade in to samsung for 260, that works out to 328 for the phone. Seems like a great deal to me tbh for a flagship 5G phone

Three do 5G unlimited for 20quid a month

Soldato
My SIM only was due for renewal in April. I upgraded early (for free) in a Carphone Warehouse store from £14.75/month for 5GB to £15/month for 10GB.

Wish I didn't now as there's 60GB of 5G with Vodafone for £12.50 (after automatic £90 cashback) through mobiles.co.uk

Damn it!

Can't cancel the Carphone Warehouse one either (so they told me on the day) as they said you have to sign to confirm you know you're losing your right to change your mind, as it is through a third party.

Associate
My SIM only was due for renewal in April. I upgraded early (for free) in a Carphone Warehouse store from £14.75/month for 5GB to £15/month for 10GB.

Wish I didn't now as there's 60GB of 5G with Vodafone for £12.50 (after automatic £90 cashback) through mobiles.co.uk

Damn it!

Can't cancel the Carphone Warehouse one either (so they told me on the day) as they said you have to sign to confirm you know you're losing your right to change your mind, as it is through a third party.

Is that not against your consumer rights ?

Soldato
Had a play with an S20+ today and all I can say is wow - the 120hz screen was like butter (naturally the shop had it set to 60hz initially...!).
Took a few snaps and compared to the pixel 4 that it was next to it was noticeably not as good but wasn't really expecting it to be.
The screen and build quality was awesome though. Tempted!

Soldato
Is that not against your consumer rights ?
Vodafone confirm that CPW should take it back regardless of anything. So I'll see how that goes.

Signed up for a new line with Vodafone. 15% discount. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited 5G data (speed capped at 10Mbps down, but I'm fine with that, it's plenty on mobile). Comes to £22.10 with discount. Then I'm going to go to Carphone Warehouse and 'return' the upgrade plan I bought there and speak to Vodafone to cancel that line and move my number to the new one. He said the 15% discount will remain on the new one. Awesome!

Guy from Vodafone said that's a load of rubbish what the CPW guy said about not being able to change my mind. He said they're just being pushy as they want the sale. He said it's legal right to change your mind in 14 days. So hope he's right! Haha

He said they get this all the time with third parties saying things like this to customers.

I'm just not sure what was in that paperwork that I signed because lets be honest, who reads that before signing... So hopefully is all OK but the Vodafone guy did say that regardless of anything, within 14 days CPW should have to take it back.

Associate
Yeah if it’s sim only you should be able to cancel.

It’s when you’re taking our handset contracts the don’t let you cancel if bought instore unless you have a very good reason.

Soldato
Yeah if it’s sim only you should be able to cancel.

It’s when you’re taking our handset contracts the don’t let you cancel if bought instore unless you have a very good reason.
Cool should be OK then! Cheers

Just makes me wonder if I made a mistake taking the Vodafone deal ha I'm so indecisive.

Direct: unlimited everything with 10Mbps down speed limit for £22.10/month

VS

Mobiles.co.uk: 60GB with no speed limit for £12.50/month (£20 before instant £90 cashback)

I don't think I'll ever burn through 60GB so might end up sorting out the CPW mess then actually taking out the mobiles.co.uk deal instead if I'm honest. The only 'issue' with mobiles.co.uk was that I thought it will be a huge faff to keep my number and have to move off the network for 30 days (this is what I thought while buying the new Vodafone line and why I chose that option) as I'm already on Vodafone pay monthly, but this particular deal is actually in their 'Vodafone SIM only upgrade' section of the website (this is what I overlooked while ordering the new Vodafone line) so should actually be ok to keep my number on that one.

Back
Top Bottom