• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a secondary non-gaming graphics card

Soldato
I'm thinking about using the second Displayport connection on my Acer Nitro. But my RTX 2080 Ti only has 3 DP ports. That means I need an extra DP output for my Dell 4k. I do have a Maxwell Titan X and a 780 Ti available but this is a non-gaming display and both cards are power-hungry. So I'm wondering if there's a cheap non-gaming GPU that would work with my RTX 2080 Ti. I'd prefer a card with at least two DP ports.

Soldato
Could see how low you can undervolt the 780Ti, I guess. Or how low the power limit will take you. Nice card to still have as backup if gaming card breaks down.

Soldato
Daisy chaining could work, but as far as I'm aware it would require the monitor to support it.

Failing that, the cheapest GPU I can find that has a DP connector is the 1050 for around £100, maybe put a request on the members market and see if you can get one cheap?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can find Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2 adapters but not the reverse.

i can't link as ocuk don't stock the item, but a website that sounds similar to a rainforest, sell a HDMI to DP cable that does 4k.

its called
Rankie DisplayPort (DP) to HDMI Cable, 4K Resolution Ready, 1.8 m, Black

Man of Honour
Is it the system in your sig? Could you use the onboard DP on the mobo? If it isn't for gaming doesn't matter that it's crap.

Soldato
OP
It's been suggested that I can use the USB C port on the card for an extra monitor port using a USB to DP 1.4 adapter. Has anyone done this? I can't spot such an adapter on OCUK's website. Which one is best?

Paging @OcUK - PREDATOR to the thread.

Associate
And lo, he appears! :) Can you identify the right USB C to DP 1.4 adapter for my use case?
Chatting to some suppliers now! Trying to source you a DP 1.4.
We do have the cable below, however, this is only DP 1.2 :/ The cable is rated for 4k @60Hz though.

OcUK Value USB C to Display Port 4K @ 60HZ 2m Cable - Black @ £7.49 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/OcUK...ay-Port-4K-60HZ-2m-Cable-Black-CB-173-OK.html

USB-C input and DisplayPort output, Supports DisplayPort 1.2 Altmode, Per lane data rates of 5.4Gbps (HBR2) - 2.7Gbps (HBR) and 1.62Gbps (RBR), USB bus power, 2m Cable

Only £7.49 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Back
Top Bottom