Graphics card behaving badly and what solved it.

Associate
Hello, I just wanted to describe a very odd problem I was having with my graphics card and what sorted it, just in case someone else encounters a similar issue in the future.

I put a system together a couple weeks ago for my wife, featuring a ryzen 5 1600 af and an RX570 mostly to use for WoW. The case is a Phanteks enthoo evolve shift, which has its GPU mounted behind the motherboard on a PCIE riser cable (formerly our HTPC case chosen for its looks even though its quite pricey for what is an otherwise budget build)

The issue I was having was that on first boot the GPU performance would be terrible, fluctuating between 5 and 20 fps in wow classic. After a restart or two in would behave as expected, a locked 150 FPS. My first thought was that the graphics card was sticking at the base frequency of 300 mhz but all the monitoring software said it was boosting normally. I went through all the normal troubleshooting, new drivers, old drivers, cables, even went as far as reinstalling windows.

Same problem persisted, and boy was it frustrating I'd try something, and hey it would be working perfectly, switch it off and back on, performance in the toilet again. Eventually pulled my own system apart so that I could test individual components and they all worked fine in my system. Rebuild her PC and its all working great.

Long story slightly less long. Turns out the issue was that the PCIe riser cable was slightly loose in the motherboard. For all the pulling apart, I hadn't re-seated it until I pulled the whole motherboard out.

So yeah,if someone else runs into a badly behaving system that seems to have no cause. check your riser cables are sitting properly :rolleyes:

Soldato
Even if attached properly riser cables are going to be problem in future.
PCIe v2 doesn't require much for signaling, but PCIe v3 isn't as forgiving and in case of PCIe v4 any longer traces require signal retimers.

Soldato
Interesting. Also just put together a PC with a 1600af and RX570 (a bit overkill for WoW? :) ), and had a very similar issue. Performance would be garbage or 3DMark would just freeze. After a restart it would be fine. Then it would go downhill again. In my case, don't use a riser cable, but had to reinstall the video and chipset drivers and now it seems OK.

Associate
OP
That is interesting, mines been ok since. I hope that both our machines keep working, as the most annoying part is that everything I tried seemed to work at first then went wonky

Back
Top Bottom