*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
For many of us it is one increase too many - I've been with Sky for a lot of years and with each pay increase I say I'll leave - this time I'm actually going to do something about it.
We all know that the price increases are usually down to Sky paying stupid money for football rights and then passing those costs on to everyone using the platform, if they use Sports or not.

In a month's time I'll be 31 days from end of contract - I'll then go into negotiation. I'm stripping everything back, don't want multiroom - does mean I'll lose UHD, but let's be honest, there isn't a ton of that. Will also go back to sharing my MIL's Netflix subscription and get rid of Ultimate on Demand. If I don't see the same kind of price that a new customer would get, I'll leave.

BT can give me everything I want - all the Sky channels I watch, HD, a recordable box.

Yeah, I'm not paying to support the EPL gravy train, it's garbage anyway, it's not even competitive. The amount of ex-players, ex-refs, ex-managers and assorted hangers-on they have employed to pimp 'The best league in the world' in incredible. Dozens and dozens of shills with their snouts in the trough, and who is paying all these salaries? mug SKY customers whether they like it or not.

I'm SKY free ast the end of the month and the offers made to me during 'negotiation' were absolutely laughable, not that I would have signed up anyway. I'm done with TV contracts.

Soldato
Renewal time.
Recontract price "deal" offered by cancellations was £84 (down from the eventual £115) for the following

Q experience.
Movies
Hd
Box sets
Ultimate on demand
Multiroom / UHD
Super fast fiber.

So cancelled, now the waiting game.

Man of Honour
Wow is this a serious post? Crikey.

I pay £43 for sky q with all channels except sport and Multi room. Even 43 makes me cringe.

You best start haggling. Sign up as a new customer in your wife's name or something

Yea.... funnily enough contract ran out around 2017 and the online bills only go back to 2018 so I can't compare.

• Sky Q Bundle
£44.00
  • Sky Sports - Complete Pack
£28.00
  • Sky Cinema
£11.00
  • Sky Q Silver Bundle
£12.00
  • Sky Talk Line Rental
£18.99
  • Sky WiFi
FREE
  • Sky Fibre Unlimited
£22.00
  • Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra
£5.00
£12.40

Soldato
Ouch.

A lot of them items can be heavily discounted. Just phone them and say how insane you've realised it is. Tell them what new customers get offered and you want similar. If they say no just go ahead with the cancellation and within a week or so expect some offers.

That's my experience anyway.

Soldato
  • Sky Talk Line Rental
£18.99
  • Sky Fibre Unlimited
£22.00
  • Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra
£5.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whuuuut!?!? £46 a month on a phone line + package, and FTTC broadband. Someone like Vodafone are doing that sort of bundle for ~£25, and as low as £19 if you have a mobile with them. The call packages differ as well, but it seems with £12.40 of charges you aren't on the right package anyhow.

Soldato
After my discounted period ended my bill jumped from £101 to £130, so got on the phone and got it back down to £99 after agreeing to another 18 month contract.

Then less than a week later I get a letter saying that prices are going up £5/month! Taking the **** - how can the price increase a few days into an 18 month contract? I think I'm in a cooling off period so going to get back on the phone to them.

Soldato
SKY free! :D equipment all boxed up ready to go to be returned this afto.

Now no SKY TV £59, BTS £34, Premier Sports £12, Phone Contract £55. Now £160 P/M better off than I was in August. Or almost £2000 a year better off. ;)

Soldato
After my discounted period ended my bill jumped from £101 to £130, so got on the phone and got it back down to £99 after agreeing to another 18 month contract.

Then less than a week later I get a letter saying that prices are going up £5/month! Taking the **** - how can the price increase a few days into an 18 month contract? I think I'm in a cooling off period so going to get back on the phone to them.
I suspect because they assess the price of contracts periodically, and you happened to sign up just before that period.

Associate
Hi first time poster and being going backwards and forwards with sky to get them to this deal. Had UOD for 3/month previously but now asking for 12. Also considering getting rid of multiscreen as not used that much. Does this look a good offer?

Entertainment
Full sports
Cinema
Kids
Hd
Box sets

36 per month on sky q.

Multiscreen extra 14 and netflix extra 12.

Soldato
Renewal time.
Recontract price "deal" offered by cancellations was £84 (down from the eventual £115) for the following

Q experience.
Movies
Hd
Box sets
Ultimate on demand
Multiroom / UHD
Super fast fiber.

(So cancelled, now the waiting game.

So they have offered me all of the above for £65.50 (£27 of that is fiber and line rental)

What's really interesting is that the package offered separates UHD from Multiroom with
HD and UHD bundled together for £2
Multiscreen for £8.50
£17 for sky signature which includes box sets,
£5 for HD movies
ultimate tv with 4k Netflix for £6.

Brining the tv side to £38.50

Not a bad deal considering the full price is £115.

Oh and I did it all via text message.

Soldato
I only have a fairly basic package comprising. (Still running a Sky+ HD 1Tb box) I use Plusnet for my IP.
  • Sky Entertainment - £22
  • Sky HD - £5
  • Box Sets - £5
Tot=£32

So quite a modest package judging by what I've read in this thread. So yet another price increase, only £2.20, taking it to £34.20. Now I know it's not much, but as I've just finished work on health grounds I'm trying to cut things back to a minimum, not spend more.

It looks like with the introduction of Netflix they've re-jigged all the packages anyway (again!!)

So now they offer Sky Ultimate TV for £25 (£6 discount + £20 to install Q)

Live & on demand, every episode of the biggest Sky TV & Netflix series
✔ Sky TV, Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer & more
✔ Full seasons, ready to watch when you are
✔ All in one place with Sky Q, easy

But there is no mention of Boxed sets or HD. (I'm sure they make their package description deliberately vague so you will ring them)

I've been with sky pretty much from their appearance and never had much in the way a "deal" out of them, I feel overdue..:);).

Is there a point in the month/week that is a sweet spot to try and squeeze something out of them? Or just ring them and see?

Soldato
They deliberately exclude bits of youir old package when they send you "offers" through the post, they did not include HD on the joke offers they made me, so you have to make you sure whatever they offer includes on all the add-ons you want to keep. As others have said how HD is a paid for add on 2020 is a scam, the SD market has to be close to zero now. £5 for HD is a disgrace.

Soldato
Well I rang them today. I enquired when my contract end date was and if there would be any outstanding fees if I were to cancel today. Also, if they have any deals/discounts running at the moment.

Surprisingly I'm no longer in contact, even though I do have an offer in place until Nov. (£5 off)

Not so much as a whiff of a deal or discount. I guess the only way to gain any leverage is to quit and see they offer anything. What a screwed up way to operate. He even mentioned I've been with them since 2000.

Part of the increase they've introduced is another £1 on HD. Ffs, HD is the norm now, it should be free.

Soldato
In the dim and distant past (pre Q) I'd use online chat and usually get a discount of around 35%. I would then cancel and within 24-48hrs I'd get a "Please come back" email offering me 50%. I took this deal two times in a row as I was happy to pay those prices.
I'm now on Q, I have my fibre broadband with them and prices about to burst through the £100 month and I don't have any sports or movies.
Two weeks time and I'm into my 30 day period. As they have removed online chat and instead you get massively delayed "online messaging" think I'll skip the negotiating and go straight into cancel.

Soldato
In the dim and distant past (pre Q) I'd use online chat and usually get a discount of around 35%. I would then cancel and within 24-48hrs I'd get a "Please come back" email offering me 50%. I took this deal two times in a row as I was happy to pay those prices.
I'm now on Q, I have my fibre broadband with them and prices about to burst through the £100 month and I don't have any sports or movies.
Two weeks time and I'm into my 30 day period. As they have removed online chat and instead you get massively delayed "online messaging" think I'll skip the negotiating and go straight into cancel.

That's just insane, over £100 and you haven't even got either of their 2 premium packages. I haven't missed SKY 1 iota.

Caporegime
That's just insane, over £100 and you haven't even got either of their 2 premium packages. I haven't missed SKY 1 iota.
To be honest I don’t believe this. Although I don’t have access to the new pricing and even if he’s out of contract there’s no way he’s paying £100 per month.

Caporegime
What’s your package then? Because although my memory of pricing is hazy, if you’re still on the old broadband pricing that’s £19 line rental, £20 fibre (easily reduced by the new package pricing) entertainment £27 then you must have Multiscreen as well as every £5 pack? Kids, HD, Box Sets? Sure that’s £82 but not over £100.

Soldato
Jumping through hoops with Sky again!

Only have TV with them. Was on an old package; Entertainment, HD, Kids, Boxsets. Price has gone up from £18 to £41.50 over the last 12 months.

Spoke to chap on retentions who was offering upgrade to Sky Q, sky signature with HD and Kids for £26. He was trying to push that it's a good £15 saving but seems like you can get that for around £34 online anyway.

Gave my notice to cancel earlier today but I've still not had my return to sky offer. Last time it came within a few mins into the account. I wonder if it won't actually be offered as it any old subscription type?

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom