• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Because it has to mess around with Windows, DirectX, abstraction layers, software drivers and christ knows what else getting in the way of its raw performance. Now take a locked spec system, code purely for that system and as close to bare metal as possible and you'd see significant performance uplift.

It’s gets you some. But it doesn’t get you much.

Look at the X1X for example. It practically uses an rx580 GPU. And compared to a pc running the same GPU, same settings, even with potato CPU like the X1X has they run almost identically.

4k 60hz is a reasonable expectation as the new Xbox will be twice the power. But it’s almost a given that there will still be graphical compromises.

Soldato
Consoles also use lower quality texture settings, and i imagine they will this time as well to hit (probably also not even consistently) 60fps at 4k, or with upscaling once demanding games come. Reason previous gen GPUs start falling behind more probably because they don't get much or any optimisation once newer cards come out.

Probably more cost effective to jump straight in at the new gen at xx70/xx80.. at least at 1440p anyway, to get the best performance.

Caporegime
Consoles also use lower quality texture settings, and i imagine they will this time as well to hit (probably also not even consistently) 60fps at 4k, or with upscaling once demanding games come. Reason previous gen GPUs start falling behind more probably because they don't get much or any optimisation once newer cards come out.

Probably more cost effective to jump straight in at the new gen at xx70/xx80.. at least at 1440p anyway, to get the best performance.

Pretty sure the Xbox One X textures are generally on par with the highest texture settings on PC.

Soldato
OP
I think a lot of people make assumptions about console graphics without actually seeing them in person.

I don't think there are any pc games that look as good as God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn (obviously it's coming to pc so will look better then) and Uncharted 4.

They probably aren't same native resolution or framerate but they definitely look better than what I've played in my pc thus far.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah possibly have to see when and what it exactly is when it drops. wouldnt be surprised to see this ship next summer aimed for sales over the summer holidays and aimed at people who already own the new xbox as a 2nd bedroom box where they could possibly stream from their main machine.

V F

V F

Soldato
I think a lot of people make assumptions about console graphics without actually seeing them in person.

I don't think there are any pc games that look as good as God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn (obviously it's coming to pc so will look better then) and Uncharted 4.

They probably aren't same native resolution or framerate but they definitely look better than what I've played in my pc thus far.

Yeah, I was comparing God of War and Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy against Division 2 on PC. It's right up there. The only difference PC shines more is the Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering making it sharper and cleaner.

Soldato
yeah possibly have to see when and what it exactly is when it drops. wouldnt be surprised to see this ship next summer aimed for sales over the summer holidays and aimed at people who already own the new xbox as a 2nd bedroom box where they could possibly stream from their main machine.

Didn't they already say they were doing an xcloud that could be run locally from an existing Xbox?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Didn't they already say they were doing an xcloud that could be run locally from an existing Xbox?

thats what i expect the cheaper lower powered version to be. it may play some games but possibly more of a dedicated streaming come media box for the bedroom while obviously everyone would have bought the main xbox for the living room because everyone needs multiple consoles :p (danger sarcasm and jokes !!!!!)

Associate
Rumor has it that the PS5 will only be 9.2TF, looks like Microsoft might have got one up over Sony if the Xbox is over 30% faster. Pricing will be interesting, the PS5 is rumored to cost around $450 to manufacture. I think the most important thing with this generation is that 30FPS games should be a thing of the past, if they can hit native 4k 60FPS then high end PC gaming will probably become increasingly niche.

Soldato
Rumor has it that the PS5 will only be 9.2TF, looks like Microsoft might have got one up over Sony if the Xbox is over 30% faster. Pricing will be interesting, the PS5 is rumored to cost around $450 to manufacture. I think the most important thing with this generation is that 30FPS games should be a thing of the past, if they can hit native 4k 60FPS then high end PC gaming will probably become increasingly niche.

Last rumour I seen had ps5 at 12.6 tflops. Supposed leaked Dev kits.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PlayS...presence-with-new-console-image.454048.0.html

Soldato
Rumor has it that the PS5 will only be 9.2TF, looks like Microsoft might have got one up over Sony if the Xbox is over 30% faster.

It came as a bit of a shock to me that previous generation Microsoft released a console which was more expensive yet also less powerful than Sony's offering. That was a large part of the reason for xbox1 sales being so much lower than the Playstation 4's.

I doubt Microsoft are going to risk being in the same position again so expect they'll go all out to win the most powerful console crown this time round.

Last edited:
Soldato
It came as a bit of a shock to me that previous generation Microsoft released a console which was more expensive yet also less powerful than Sony's offering. That was a large part of the reason for xbox1 sales being so much lower than the Playstation 4's.

I doubt Microsoft are going to risk being in the same position again.
I don't see the relatively minor power gap as being a particularly large part of why Microsoft went down in flames this generation. It was more to do with their general direction under Don Mattrick, with PR disaster after PR disaster leading up to launch, such as the Kinect focus and the 'no used games' thing. Sony's good will went through the roof just by them not changing anything.

Microsoft hurredly walked it all back and Don was taken out behind the barn, but people had made their minds up by then and weren't in a forgiving mood. Of course, Microsoft have spent the entire generation gradually winning people back with sensible decisions under new leadership, and Sony have been sliding back towards their arrogance from the early PS3 era...

Soldato
Microsoft hurredly walked it all back and Don was taken out behind the barn, but people had made their minds up by then and weren't in a forgiving mood. Of course, Microsoft have spent the entire generation gradually winning people back with sensible decisions under new leadership, and Sony have been sliding back towards their arrogance from the early PS3 era...

Of course power wasn't the only reason but it must have put folk off seeing games which ran at native 1080p on PS4 being so consistently downgraded to 900p/720p on Xbox.

Permabanned
If it's running the equivalent of ultra settings on a PC, then it's doubtful that a console will ever be able to achieve that kind of performance for that price point. But my PC can do 4K 60Hz quite easily, just not at max settings for every game.

Now, 4K 120Hz is an entirely different matter, and I simply don't see how a console will be able to do it without significant graphical compromises.

Rocket League sure, But were talking current gen graphics the console owners i know are gimps lol. They will demand better graphics than last gen but cannot be reasoned with that to get 4k on last gen like Uncharted etc you need x4 the power theres nothing left for another gen. So they have a choice do you drop the resolution to 3k and add a few next gen effects at 30fps or 60fps?

Or do you keep the graphics the same as last gen but render a true 4k 60hz image and strip back the post processing to save fps? How will Far Cry 5 work at 20tflop? I think it is a 40fps game at those settings if i am not wrong on a 2080ti. Personally i still expect checkerboard or 3k games but gl to them as getting to 4k 120hz is the holy grail for them they need to ideally do this twice in two gens the first PS5 to 4k and the second to 120fps with a PS5 Pro 120hz edition.

As a 240hz gamer a 120hz PS5 Pro edition would be an instant purchase if it meant Street Fighter and PES and Last of us etc were really a true 4k 120fps experience. And i have to mention the 4k HDR Blurays as well.

Soldato
Rocket League sure, But were talking current gen graphics the console owners i know are gimps lol. They will demand better graphics than last gen but cannot be reasoned with that to get 4k on last gen like Uncharted etc you need x4 the power theres nothing left for another gen. So they have a choice do you drop the resolution to 3k and add a few next gen effects at 30fps or 60fps?

Or do you keep the graphics the same as last gen but render a true 4k 60hz image and strip back the post processing to save fps? How will Far Cry 5 work at 20tflop? I think it is a 40fps game at those settings if i am not wrong on a 2080ti. Personally i still expect checkerboard or 3k games but gl to them as getting to 4k 120hz is the holy grail for them they need to ideally do this twice in two gens the first PS5 to 4k and the second to 120fps with a PS5 Pro 120hz edition.

As a 240hz gamer a 120hz PS5 Pro edition would be an instant purchase if it meant Street Fighter and PES and Last of us etc were really a true 4k 120fps experience. And i have to mention the 4k HDR Blurays as well.
I have said this before but what is the obsession with a hard 120fps when you now can use VRR?

Back
Top Bottom