Huawei p30

Associate
Excatly in the same boat. Leaving ios. So far enjoying it. Not played around too much yet with the camera. Is it and can we installed Google camera software on a p30?

I've not ported across my photos, videos and documents from iCloud, they are still in there and I was planning just to access all that from my desktop when required. I downloaded Google Drive for iOS and backed everything else up to a Google Drive then accessed that on the new phone to restore contacts etc. The biggest hassles were backing up SMS texts and WhatsApp chats, some of those I really didn't want to lose. The WhatsApp I *think* I have sussed out and backed up but because I chopped and changed back and forth between my old iPhone and new P30 with verification of numbers within the WhatsApp application itself, I've been locked out for 8 hours before they will re-send a verfication code. I'll know if its all worked later when I get the new code sent.

The SMS thing was a royal pain. There was a small program called iSMS2Droid which did it in minutes but its been taken down off the Google Play Store (there's an explanation online about why) so I ended up having to faff around with converting the backup of the chat archive from my last iPhone backup using DB Browser SQLite, then it started talking about having to drop that into an Excel spreadsheet, modify columns and stuff and I lost the will to live! So eventually someone I know suggested I download the latest iSMS2Droid apk from the web (they are still available - just make sure you grab it from a reputable source and check the MD5 Checksum matches the original), installed that and it worked perfectly. All SMS texts back on the phone.

Other than that it was fairly straightforward although I'm going to take some time to get used to the UI as its a big departure from iOS, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Associate
Anyone feel like the battery has taken a bit of a beating after the updates? I feel like the phone doesn't last as long as it has. And I've I my had the phone for a few weeks

Associate
Thinking of buying one of these. Seems to be about the best mid-range phone out there now. But I'm reading about this Huawei ban. I know it's US-based, but will it not also affect the UK? Is it something to be concerned by?

Soldato
Updated today. What the heck have they done to the ui. It all seems very clunky. I can't read my numbers when telephoning someone.

EMUI 10.0.0

Anyone else in the same boat?

I had the 10 update last week, defaulted so much back to standard that i'd been tweaking over last few months. Icons and everything seem every dumbed down now too.

Soldato
Can you get a SuperCharge compatible mains charger that has two USB ports on it? One SuperCharge port and a "normal" USB-A would be ideal but I've not found one. If a charger doesn't support SC, what's the next best thing to look for?

Soldato
how are people finding this phone after a little while with it?

specifically those with the pro variant.

I love it. I came from an iPhone to the P30 Pro and the transition across from iOS to Android was tricky to begin with but its second nature now. The handset itself is excellent. Camera still amazes me sometimes when I take a shot then go and look at it in the Gallery. Recently updated mine to EMUI 10 and I like it although it has shifted a few familiar things about here and there and caused a strange bug when WhatsApp crashes if you try and add an image to a post.

Soldato
I love it. I came from an iPhone to the P30 Pro and the transition across from iOS to Android was tricky to begin with but its second nature now. The handset itself is excellent. Camera still amazes me sometimes when I take a shot then go and look at it in the Gallery. Recently updated mine to EMUI 10 and I like it although it has shifted a few familiar things about here and there and caused a strange bug when WhatsApp crashes if you try and add an image to a post.

Good to know. Some cracking deals about at the moment.

100gb data. £29 upfront, £30 per month.
£120 cashback from Huawei & £65 Quidco.

I've watched reviews of almost every phone about at the moment. The p30 pro is the one which seems to get my attention the most. The p30 standard I prefer the look of due to no curved screen but the pro variant seems like a worthy upgrade.

Soldato
I've had a P30 Pro now for about three weeks. Took a similar offer to the one posted above - I went with MobilePhonesDirect...

£0 upfront, £43 month on o2 - 90GB data, 24 months (it's a 30GB tarrif with a 60GB top-up till end of the 24 months, so something to watch at the end of the contract)
£44 cashback from TCB (tracked & pending)
£120 cashback from Huawei - submitted on Saturday, initial approval confirmed, so waiting on bank transfer
£396 cashback from MPD over contract length - need to claim on certain months, so already added to my calendar

So after all that, works out £19.60 a month which seemed to be a very good price from my searching. I've come from a Huawei Y6 so used to an old version of EMUI. Looking forward to a few days in Northumbria next week to use the camera properly. A really good camera was one of the key buying points for me as it means I won't need to take my work iPhone out just to get a good picture. Battery life, screen and overall performance are great - very happy with my choice so far.

Soldato
I've had a P30 Pro now for about three weeks. Took a similar offer to the one posted above - I went with MobilePhonesDirect...

£0 upfront, £43 month on o2 - 90GB data, 24 months (it's a 30GB tarrif with a 60GB top-up till end of the 24 months, so something to watch at the end of the contract)
£44 cashback from TCB (tracked & pending)
£120 cashback from Huawei - submitted on Saturday, initial approval confirmed, so waiting on bank transfer
£396 cashback from MPD over contract length - need to claim on certain months, so already added to my calendar

So after all that, works out £19.60 a month which seemed to be a very good price from my searching. I've come from a Huawei Y6 so used to an old version of EMUI. Looking forward to a few days in Northumbria next week to use the camera properly. A really good camera was one of the key buying points for me as it means I won't need to take my work iPhone out just to get a good picture. Battery life, screen and overall performance are great - very happy with my choice so far.
How you getting on with it after a few months usage? It's still on my radar along with a few other phones. I'm not sure on the rounded screen edges though.

Soldato
How you getting on with it after a few months usage? It's still on my radar along with a few other phones. I'm not sure on the rounded screen edges though.

I'm very pleased with it. Battery rarely drops below 50% each day for my usage (having been charged overnight) and the camera is worlds apart from the Y6.

Huawei cashback came through at the start of April, just waiting for TCB to be claimable.

Soldato
I'm very pleased with it. Battery rarely drops below 50% each day for my usage (having been charged overnight) and the camera is worlds apart from the Y6.

Huawei cashback came through at the start of April, just waiting for TCB to be claimable.
ahh nice,

im really struggling too decide what too get. every day i change my mind. still rocking my pixel 2 xl and while its still working its showing its age. the god thing about it though is its holding up well to damage. my phones are a tool so i dont baby them at all. its beat up around the edges but the screen is doing really well.

having an edge on the phone has been useful as i feel the screen would have smashed otherwise.

the p30 pro looks so good and seems to have all the features id need. its good value too. £30 per month with 100gb data

essentially making the phone £15 per month (£360) as i pay £15 a month for 100gb data as it is now.

Soldato
ahh nice,

im really struggling too decide what too get. every day i change my mind. still rocking my pixel 2 xl and while its still working its showing its age. the god thing about it though is its holding up well to damage. my phones are a tool so i dont baby them at all. its beat up around the edges but the screen is doing really well.

having an edge on the phone has been useful as i feel the screen would have smashed otherwise.

the p30 pro looks so good and seems to have all the features id need. its good value too. £30 per month with 100gb data

essentially making the phone £15 per month (£360) as i pay £15 a month for 100gb data as it is now.
What about a OnePlus 7T? It's an excellent upgrade from your Pixel and can be picked up reasonably cheap if you shop around.

Soldato
What about a OnePlus 7T? It's an excellent upgrade from your Pixel and can be picked up reasonably cheap if you shop around.
Nothing against it apart from the horrific costs on contract. The p30 pro for effectively £15 a month is hard not to be sniffed at, if I could get the 7t on the same tarrif I would have jumped. Was hoping the 8 release might have made the 7t cheaper but it doesn't appear to have.

Back
Top Bottom