Updating software on a g30 bmw

Associate
OP
I got an update done by telling them the iDrive system was crashing every so often when I plugged my phone into use the Spotify app for music. I didn’t notice any improvement being on the newer software.

On my wife’s Mini, Apple car play would hang every so often and reboot the system. Told them that and they did a full car update which didn’t sort the Apple car play (the next iOS update did)

The software must have done a large update to the camera system as it made the adaptive headlights significantly better at detecting oncoming traffic and stop/start reacts to the car in front now. So starts the engine as the car moves away in front or if you are at a roundabout and no car in front it dosn’t stop the engine so you have no delays getting on the roundabout. This brought it inline with the newer BMW stop/start systems where a camera is fitted.

thanks for info given tangible improvements like this its criminal that BMW wont update software as a cost option at least on request.very annoying..

Associate
I got an update done by telling them the iDrive system was crashing every so often when I plugged my phone into use the Spotify app for music. I didn’t notice any improvement being on the newer software.

On my wife’s Mini, Apple car play would hang every so often and reboot the system. Told them that and they did a full car update which didn’t sort the Apple car play (the next iOS update did)

The software must have done a large update to the camera system as it made the adaptive headlights significantly better at detecting oncoming traffic and stop/start reacts to the car in front now. So starts the engine as the car moves away in front or if you are at a roundabout and no car in front it dosn’t stop the engine so you have no delays getting on the roundabout. This brought it inline with the newer BMW stop/start systems where a camera is fitted.

What version did you got?

Soldato
You might find another dealership will be willing to update for a charge but they don't like doing it as others have said as it can brick modules during the process and expect between 1-2hrs labour charge. I've also read some dealerships make customers sign waivers if any modules die in the process, the customer needs to cover the cost - costs of modules depending on what they are can go into the £1000s so be prepared.

As others have said, an i-Step update should really only be applied if needed - there are minor fixes within them but if it's not broke...don't fix it springs to mind.

If you really want to, you can do it yourself with e-Sys and an ENET to ODB-II cable or if feeling flush buy an ICOM NEXT A and it's a bit safer again. You'll also need a charger that can provide at least 70A constant output which is not cheap. Personally if there's no problem...move on. Latest version is November 2020 for G30. Again not recommended doing yourself unless you're 100% you know what you are doing and prepared that a) you could kill a module and b) you know how to get the car out of transport mode, know how to lock the airbags etc. if flashing the ACSM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom