Spec me: Fun but practical

Associate
Hello all,

I need to get a new car as I’ve been overseas and my old banger has died of rot during this time.

Typical Dad requirements: fast but practical, an eye on running costs but a strong draw to the beautiful sound of a rumbling V8. Budget is £15-20k but also keeping an eye on lease deals. Mileage is a standard 10-12k typically, so focused on petrols.

Cars noted so far:

Octavia vRS: previously owned, perhaps too slow and too quiet. Great car though.
Seat Cupra 300 ST: look lovely, decent noise and fast enough. Lease deal likely.
Golf R: As per Cupra but I don’t like the looks on the Estate as much as Cupra or vRS
V60 Polestar: ticks all boxes but I think, just out of budget
C63 AMG: just not a sensible option. Would be older, far higher running costs but I can’t help but want to hear that engine every day.
Giulia Veloce: not as practical, I think too expensive but absolutely gorgeous to look at.
Audi S4 Avant: I think like the Merc, would be older with high running costs but again, a lovely motor.

A lot of heart over head issues here. The Cupra or vRS seem like the sensible choice but I’m drawn to the older, sexier Audi or Merc - both of which are more likely to go pop in some way and give an expensive bill.

Hopefully you can help by offering some opinions, guidance and advice!

Soldato
I had very similar requirements and went for the W204 C63. Facelift post 2012 models are a bit above 20k. Went for the non power performance package so slightly cheaper tyres as 18s and smaller brake discs. The M156 engines are pretty reliable and solid. Old enough now that they're a well known quantity. I tested out Golf Rs, S4, 335i and even the newer C43 but the pull of that V8 was so strong. Had mine just shy of a year and covered about 7K miles so milage is sensible given the cost of premium fuel and mpg.

Caporegime
Vauxhall VXR8. Ignore the Vauxhall badge, it's a Holden.

BMW E90 M3.

C63 or even an E63 AMG. Pistonheads put up an E63 buyers guide just this weekend.

LEXUS ISF? RCF a bit out of your price range.

Associate
OP
I had very similar requirements and went for the W204 C63. Facelift post 2012 models are a bit above 20k. Went for the non power performance package so slightly cheaper tyres as 18s and smaller brake discs. The M156 engines are pretty reliable and solid. Old enough now that they're a well known quantity. I tested out Golf Rs, S4, 335i and even the newer C43 but the pull of that V8 was so strong. Had mine just shy of a year and covered about 7K miles so milage is sensible given the cost of premium fuel and mpg.

That’s not the voice of reason I was looking for! I’ll have to look into the running costs a bit more, outside of fuel. Any other issues outside of the head bolts on pre-2012?

If you're drawn to the Octavia and Cupra then the 280hp tsi Superb may be worth a look.

I’ll have a look and get a test drive done. Have dismissed it previously as a bit too soft.

Vauxhall VXR8. Ignore the Vauxhall badge, it's a Holden.

BMW E90 M3.

C63 or even an E63 AMG. Pistonheads put up an E63 buyers guide just this weekend.

LEXUS ISF? RCF a bit out of your price range.

VXR8 would be naughty and the Lexus IS a new one. Edit: I’d be worried about the Vauxhall reliability but perhaps that’s me being a badge snob. The Lexus looks fantastic though and appear right in budget.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello all,

I need to get a new car as I’ve been overseas and my old banger has died of rot during this time.

Typical Dad requirements: fast but practical, an eye on running costs but a strong draw to the beautiful sound of a rumbling V8. Budget is £15-20k but also keeping an eye on lease deals. Mileage is a standard 10-12k typically, so focused on petrols.

Cars noted so far:

Octavia vRS: previously owned, perhaps too slow and too quiet. Great car though.
Seat Cupra 300 ST: look lovely, decent noise and fast enough. Lease deal likely.
Golf R: As per Cupra but I don’t like the looks on the Estate as much as Cupra or vRS
V60 Polestar: ticks all boxes but I think, just out of budget
C63 AMG: just not a sensible option. Would be older, far higher running costs but I can’t help but want to hear that engine every day.
Giulia Veloce: not as practical, I think too expensive but absolutely gorgeous to look at.
Audi S4 Avant: I think like the Merc, would be older with high running costs but again, a lovely motor.

A lot of heart over head issues here. The Cupra or vRS seem like the sensible choice but I’m drawn to the older, sexier Audi or Merc - both of which are more likely to go pop in some way and give an expensive bill.

Hopefully you can help by offering some opinions, guidance and advice!
I went with the S4 Avant in November, haven't looked back since, its revo 1+ and still makes me grin like an idiot. Due to short journeys I'm averaging 20mpg though on a longer run getting closer to 30mpg unless in a hurry.
I bought a mid spaced S-tronic version with a fill service history inc 2 DSG services and had a good look round it as well as 20 min test drive. I have replaced the thermostat already but they are a weak point and I'd sooner know it was done than wait for a total failure of it.

The boot floor is higher than some estates but I've still been able to take a freezer, large canvas pic as well as other white goods to recycle centre etc so suits my needs as well as still being able to carry all 5 of us should we decide to head out for the day.

Back
Top Bottom