HotukDeals Infraction

Caporegime
I use the site a lot, and sometimes give heat, yet almost never give cold. I also only vote on things I have some knowledge about (pc parts, phones, etc.)

To me, cold means it is actually worse than many alternatives, and most deals are usually the best, but only by a small margin. Those I just don't vote on.

If you hammer every deal cold then no wonder an algorithm would pick it up.

Soldato
Got message today from Hotukdeals looks like they dont like the way i vote and that i dont give a reason for my vote.

Hi - following a review we notice that you appear to be cold voting on a large number of threads without leaving a constructive reason. Of course it is not a requirement to leave a comment when voting but we ask members to vote fairly and we do not believe your current activity is fair.If an item does not interest you or you do not feel you’re able to back up your reason for voting you simply need to skip past the thread.We’ll be reviewing this again in a few weeks and if we do not see an improvement then we’ll consider whether it would be appropriate to place a voting block on your account.If you’d like to discuss this feel free to get in touch

Is this some sort of a rant, or are you warning others?

Frankly, if it's some sort of a rant, then i'm not entirely sure what you can be complaining about! If you're just cold voting deals because you don't like them, or they're not as cheap as you think they should be, then you absolutely should get your account banned.

You're obviously cold voting for a reason, so back it up by showing why the deal isn't as good as it has been before etc.

Or maybe you just don't understand how the voting works? - would suggest reading the rules...

Caporegime
There's control freaks everywhere, the internet was better 15-20 years ago when the only thing moderators really dealt with was spam advertising and even then some sites just ignored it (it's not like you can't recognise and not click it). Nowadays as with the world we live in you have a layer of bureaucracy at the top that want to micro manage every aspect of what goes on below them to the point where people are walking on eggshells 24/7.

Caporegime
HotUKDeals are an affiliate site who make a commission on each sale. So it is in their interest for items to get hot so it influences more people to buy so they make more money.

Pretty much this.

Theybremove good deals if they cannot make money off them.

Which is why a lot of non UK stuff gets pulled as they don't have deals in place with those suppliers for affiliate links.

Soldato
I use the site a lot, and sometimes give heat, yet almost never give cold. I also only vote on things I have some knowledge about (pc parts, phones, etc.)

To me, cold means it is actually worse than many alternatives, and most deals are usually the best, but only by a small margin. Those I just don't vote on.

If you hammer every deal cold then no wonder an algorithm would pick it up.
Same here, I've posted deals and some have gone hot but many cold.

One was some incandescent bulbs for buttons that were obviously clearance, wound up with people whinging they weren't LED :D.

Soldato
Are there any alternative sites - that similiarly offer a lot of bickering, but some useful data, about whether the products are genuinely good quality, what might be better, and, remind you of earlier minimum prices. ?

.... so, for example, you can see Amazon always has a good black friday deal on hue lights, so, I'll wait.

Associate
I did sign up to ukhotdetals in WhatsApp 2 years ago. They're supposed to send me messages every now and then with deals? Not a sniff from them yet, just their 'welcome' message from 2 years ago. Meh.

Cashback sites are better imo e.g. Quidco and Topcashback.

the hotukdeals app is not bad you can set keyword alerts for anything your thinking of buying , got a good deal on a tv last year and laptop recently using it.

Soldato
HotUKDeals is great, I agree with some of the other posts though about some of the absolute crap that gets posted there but if you look past that you'll often find some bargains.

Always makes me laugh whenever a cheap pre-built PC or laptop gets posted on there and immediately people are asking whether it's good for gaming or voting it cold because it isn't gaming spec.

Back
Top Bottom