VeraCrypt Slow & Windows 10 Home to Pro Licence Needed.

Associate
We have a laptop that's running Win 10 Home and we want to encrypt the C drive.
Bitlocker isn't available, but VeraCrypt (latest version) takes about 5 minutes to boot into the desktop.
Sometimes it fails entirely to reach the Windows desktop.

Can anyone recommend any sellers of a Win 10 Pro licence, either an upgrade from Home to Pro and Pro one? So we don't need to use VeraCrypt.
If you're suggesting eBay, which sellers do you trust? Names or links please (PM me if needed).

Thank you.

Soldato
We have a laptop that's running Win 10 Home and we want to encrypt the C drive.
Bitlocker isn't available, but VeraCrypt (latest version) takes about 5 minutes to boot into the desktop.
Sometimes it fails entirely to reach the Windows desktop.

Can anyone recommend any sellers of a Win 10 Pro licence, either an upgrade from Home to Pro and Pro one? So we don't need to use VeraCrypt.
If you're suggesting eBay, which sellers do you trust? Names or links please (PM me if needed).

Thank you.
You arent using some super intensive encryption algorithm though are you?

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £158.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

or Microsoft.com are the only 2 acceptable answers here :)

Or as ms are still upgrading even sketchy versions for free, install win 7 pro and download the media creation tool and away you go. Did this with a friends non legit win 7 a few weeks back and it registered 10 pro after install. The official line is ms pulled it but I see no evidence of them actually pulling the free upgrade.

Soldato
What CPU and type of drive does the laptop have? If it has a poor performing CPU with a hard drive, that might be the cause of your slow startup. Something else to consider is the possibility of your hard drive failing.

Associate
OP
What CPU and type of drive does the laptop have? If it has a poor performing CPU with a hard drive, that might be the cause of your slow startup. Something else to consider is the possibility of your hard drive failing.
Thank you for the help.
I could find out the exact CPU tomorrow, but it's a 5 year old budget laptop.
The drive is a SSD, again about 5 years old.

Soldato
Thank you for the help.
I could find out the exact CPU tomorrow, but it's a 5 year old budget laptop.
The drive is a SSD, again about 5 years old.
I'm experimenting on an similar age laptop with an SSD too. I did notice that when using the AES-Twofish-Serpent (same as yours?) algorithm, it took about 90 seconds after entering my password before Windows began startup up. It's still encrypting the drive as I speak, but I expect full encryption to have completed in about n hour.

Soldato
Tested once more after complete encryption had completed.

Time to confirm my password took nearly 2 minutes, then about another 2 minutes to load to desktop. So yes, it is slow.

Associate
OP
I'm experimenting on an similar age laptop with an SSD too. I did notice that when using the AES-Twofish-Serpent (same as yours?) algorithm, it took about 90 seconds after entering my password before Windows began startup up. It's still encrypting the drive as I speak, but I expect full encryption to have completed in about n hour.

Tested once more after complete encryption had completed.

Time to confirm my password took nearly 2 minutes, then about another 2 minutes to load to desktop. So yes, it is slow.
I think the encryption method was AES and Twofish only.
It took about 90 mins to encrypt the drive.
The 5 mins I quoted was from pressing Return after the password, to seeing the Windows desktop appear and being able to interact with Windows.

Back
Top Bottom