**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Great comparison video here between S20+ and Ultra with the + supposed to have the camera update.

Quite happy I picked the plus tbh

Edit
Was too slow haa
If anything, i'm still happy I chose an Ultra, The only differences are the colours are slightly different between the two (software) and the focus speed/hunting.
In many areas it's still better (detail in both night and day) and to me the areas in which it isn't seem all fixable with an update or two.

I'd be much more interested to see the same video comparison after the updates as for me it's basically all for Youtube views at this point, where as "TheTechChap" on youtube said he had binned his camera comparison video and is instead waiting for the update now we know it's coming (Apparently already out in South Korea?).

I mean, it's not even that the S20+ and the Ultra are on the same patch level, Literally, the Ultra is on the initial version and the S20+ has already had a patch.

Soldato
I don't think Oneplus are going to get the pass they get every model for the Camera and lack of wireless charging/water proofing now though, When everyone else is in the screen game then that's not enough anymore.

They need to make big improvements to their cameras

I agree. Everything I've seen for the OP8 suggests they'll fix the issues with lack of wireless charging and waterproofing this year which is great - but there's still a massive unknown re the camera that makes me lean towards the Samsung. Hopefully they'll announce the OP8 Pro and get some hands on reviews before my ultra gets here.

Soldato
The OP camera problems are overstated I'd say, following my admittedly brief time with a OP7T Pro. The OP's lower light shots (by which I mean interior shots at night where the lights are on but it's not as bright as daylight) were easily better than those on my Note 10+.

Associate
The OP camera problems are overstated I'd say, following my admittedly brief time with a OP7T Pro. The OP's lower light shots (by which I mean interior shots at night where the lights are on but it's not as bright as daylight) were easily better than those on my Note 10+.

TBH i thought the note 10 camera was old tech from the samsung galaxu s7s ?

Associate
I pre-ordered the S20 Ultra on 16th Feb thorough Samsung (Ireland) - I contacted them last week to confirm the delivery address and was told it's delayed by ~10 days due to component shortage - not sure if it's all S20 Ultras or if I just missed the early ones (Which I don't think I did as the website stated Delivery by 10th March for a few days after I ordered)

Soldato
TBH i thought the note 10 camera was old tech from the samsung galaxu s7s ?

It's all about the software, doncha know :p

The Note 10+ hardware has been around for a while as far as I know, but the software endlessly tuned by Samsung. The S10/Note10+ are rated consistently as 'flagship quality' by every reviewer out there.

I almost cancelled my pre-order with Three. They just charged me for a months subscription on the new tariff for the last month and I obviously haven't had the phone yet! They were adamant that it was right until I spoke to a manager who refunded the difference and agreed it wasn't right.

Soldato
It's all about the software, doncha know :p

The Note 10+ hardware has been around for a while as far as I know, but the software endlessly tuned by Samsung. The S10/Note10+ are rated consistently as 'flagship quality' by every reviewer out there.

I've got a Note 10 and the camera is fine, it's not as consistent as the shots I used to get out of my Pixel 3 though. I'm expecting the consistency of the S20/U to be broadly the same - can produce some great shots bit certain situations will show it up.

Soldato
I've got a Note 10 and the camera is fine, it's not as consistent as the shots I used to get out of my Pixel 3 though. I'm expecting the consistency of the S20/U to be broadly the same - can produce some great shots bit certain situations will show it up.

In broad daylight the Note 10 produces great results all the time and isn't thrown by shots directly into the sun or varying light conditions. It's just when I'm taking pictures about the house it loses detail really badly. Occasionally, it produces a blurred photo out of the blue and it seems to take an inordinate amount of time hunting for focus. You mentioned consistency from the Pixel 3 and that's what I'd like - lift the phone and take one shot, rather than taking five because there's a good chance most of them have something wrong.

Soldato
In broad daylight the Note 10 produces great results all the time and isn't thrown by shots directly into the sun or varying light conditions. It's just when I'm taking pictures about the house it loses detail really badly. Occasionally, it produces a blurred photo out of the blue and it seems to take an inordinate amount of time hunting for focus. You mentioned consistency from the Pixel 3 and that's what I'd like - lift the phone and take one shot, rather than taking five because there's a good chance most of them have something wrong.

I find indoor shots with the Note 10 quite muddy, I'd like to see that improved most of all I think. Outdoor shots have been fantastic, and I quite like the punchy post processing Samsung applies - so any criticism directed at that doesn't bother me.

Soldato
I think the camera on 7T Pro is excellent. Obviously not on the level of Pixel 4 or iPhone 11 Pro/Max but it has been a huge step up from the camera on the 6T. I'm not a big phone photographer however the snaps I take on the 7T Pro are perfectly good for social media etc. I primarily use the phone camera for eBay listing photos for my small business (as it's much less hassle to upload) and the detail is superb.

Associate
Been waiting for the 512gb ultra to.come back in stock as it's been oos for nearly 2 weeks :(

128gb could be fine, but I have 2 sims and I'm sure the camera is going to use a lot of storage, so 512 seems a safe bet

Prefer to go with samsung for old iphone cash back,, plus quidco cashback, plus ear buds.. not looking likely :(

Associate
Anyone know of the free buds offer is only for pre orders? I can only purchase on the 11th due to getting it through wife scheme at work.

Limited time offer: Pre-order and claim a pair of new Galaxy Buds+ worth £159

Available for Galaxy S20 Ultra and Galaxy S20+ from 11.02.20 to 08.03.20. T&C's apply

Taken from the Samsung website

Soldato
Was passing a Curry's so got a quick play with the S20 range and I was a little underwhelmed truth be told. The one takeaway was the 120hz is absolutely superb no doubt about it. But I have to say beyond that there isn't much more that would make me buy any of them. I'll caveat the rest by stating I currently own a 7T Pro and maybe it's self conscious bias but I don't think any of them would make me change. If I had to change it would be the Ultra for sure. The Plus has a smaller screen than the 7T Pro not to mention a hideous centre hole punch like a boil and the regular S20 is just too small full stop. For sure a 7T Pro represents much better value for money than either of those. By the way I know the Plus is 6.7 inch and the 7TP is 6.67 but with the aspect ratio and the hole punch the real estate on the Plus IS less. With the ultra the screen is only marginally bigger, and by bigger I mean taller, it's basically the same width and only a few mm taller but once again you're battling against the hole punch.
I appreciate how Samsung have altered the curves, it's the one thing about the current crop of phones I don't particularly enjoy, 7TP included. However, the light reflections and vignetting you get at off angles is still very much present, if anything more so since the curves are sharper.
That's my 2 cents worth!

Back
Top Bottom