• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
That they aren't using like-for-like teraflop measurements.
Well the discussion amongst Digital Foundry and the like recently is whether when we were asked to "Do the Math" did "2x Xbox one X GPU power" mean 2x 6TF and therefore 12TF??

Or did it mean two times the effective power, which with new architecture (Navi versus GCN in the X1X) would have been about 10 TF??
Many thought it would be the later as it seemed more realistic, given that the most power GPU AMD make right now is about that number (9.7ish) but in actual fact, the announcement two days ago was that it was actually 12TF after all.
I don't think many actually saw that coming because it represents more than 2x the power in actuality, and it means it has a GPU more powerful than anything AMD currently make, to add to that, its using a newer architecture than all of their released GPU's (RNDA 2.0 vs 1.0 in the current PC GPUs) so there could even be a further disparity between what 12Tflops means when compared to 6Tflops and what we actually will get.

Then the added tech such as variable rate shading will probably bring something like a 15-20% improvement in frame rate with no loss in picture quality.

Soldato
More i think about it the more insane it gets.

12tflops with NAVI 7nm+/RDNA2.0 will be crazy.

Baring in mind that the old 6tflops Series X was using GCN2.0, The most powerful GCN GPU was the Vega64 at 12.6 flops but is matched if not bettered by a 9.7tflop RX5700XT using Navi /RDNA1.0.

I think based off those numbers the GPU in the rumoured lockhart 4tflops model will match the One X's 6 tflops but the CPU improvements and storage improvements will be massive on top.

But on the Series X if you add in the 12Tflops Navi figure, and then factor into that tech like VRS, Hardware Ray tracing and potentially further efficiency in RDNA2.0 which we don't know of yet it could make those which make those TFlop numbers even more underrated/misleading, its pretty exciting stuff...

Digital Foundry did a recent comprehensive comparison between framerates on the One X and 5700xt, because they thought the new consoles would match the 5700xt - even they were surprised to learn the new consoles are significantly better than the 5700xt.

In their tests, they found the 5700xt @ 1800mhz gets exactly Double the Frames per Second that the One X gets.

For example:

pr3iatst.dbm.png

So we are looking at double the One X performance, plus extra - the extra cannot be totally quantified, we just know it's at least 24% extra but very possibly higher than 24%.

Using Wolfenstein performance above, if I add 24% to the 5700xt score because the new console has 24% more Tflop, then add another 10% for VRS which the 5700xt and One X doesn't support, what do we get?

We get a Xbox Series X console running this game at 4k 120fps, compared to the Xbox One X running it at 4k 45fps.
Just remember that Wolfenstein is not the most demanding game to run and is well optimized, don't expect 4k 120fps in all games, most won't hit that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Digital Foundry did a recent comprehensive comparison between framerates on the One X and 5700xt, because they thought the new consoles would match the 5700xt - even they were surprised to learn the new consoles are significantly better than the 5700xt.

In their tests, they found the 5700xt @ 1800mhz gets exactly Double the Frames per Second that the One X gets.

For example:

pr3iatst.dbm.png

So we are looking at double the One X performance, plus extra - the extra cannot be totally quantified, we just know it's at least 24% extra but very possibly higher than 24%.

Using Wolfenstein performance above, if I add 24% to the 5700xt score because the new console has 24% more Tflop, then add another 10% for VRS which the 5700xt and One X doesn't support, what do we get?

We get a Xbox Series X console running this game at 4k 120fps, compared to the Xbox One X running it at 4k 45fps.
Just remember that Wolfenstein is not the most demanding game to run and is well optimized, don't expect 4k 120fps in all games, most won't hit that.
Yeah spot on, Exciting stuff!

Man of Honour
So apparently according to major nelson you can pause and resume a game even after a full console reboot / system update.

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/must...-pause-and-resume-games-even-after-rebooting/

How is that even possible :confused:

SSD drives can transfer hundreds of megabytes per second, with read speeds being particularly fast. Just transfer the RAM contents to the SSD before shutdown.

If it's just a reboot then you only wipe the system partition of the RAM and leave the game RAM powered on.

Man of Honour
I'm ashamed to say this has very much peaked my interest. :o

My interest is slightly peaked also. This is coming from the guy that bought an XB1 for £300, 2 games for £70 and it got sold in like a month..

Sorry, but it's "piqued my interest".

If both Microsoft and Sony have supply issues then Microsoft's strategy of having all of their games play on the older XBoxes for a year will be a great advantage.

Soldato
I’m excited for this but tbh I would not be overly bothered if it was delayed. I still think the X is a great machine. Have to see what happens over the next few months...

Caporegime
OP
I'm still undecided whether I'll get a Series X... my current Xbox One X has more or less become an overkill Netflix streaming machine since they launched the Game Pass for Windows.You never know, their interest may have peaked and can't get any higher.

Game Pass for Windows is probably why I'd end up getting the XSX. The installation/management of games is still a crock of manure. Last night I downloaded FFXV and then had no space on the drive to install the 4K pack. So I tried cancelling the download of that - it didn't work. Then I had to move FFXV to a different drive and it didn't like that. So in the end I tried uninstalling everything and it didn't like that! It's a horrible system.

Soldato
I really hope this is £499, but then again I have a feeling Microsoft are simply adding the series X to the xbox family of consoles (ie, not replacing the X), so maybe they will price it at £599+ and market it for the enthusiast?

Man of Honour
I really hope this is £499, but then again I have a feeling Microsoft are simply adding the series X to the xbox family of consoles (ie, not replacing the X), so maybe they will price it at £599+ and market it for the enthusiast?
The One X CPU is far too weak for next gen games even if the GPU is still mid tier. It just won't be able to run the AAA next gen games.

The CPU is effectively the same as the One and that was very weak even at launch.

Soldato
The One X CPU is far too weak for next gen games even if the GPU is still mid tier. It just won't be able to run the AAA next gen games.

The CPU is effectively the same as the One and that was very weak even at launch.

The One X CPU is weaker than a 8 year old quad core intel 2700k. Its 100% accurate, that thing won't be able to deal with next gen titles

Back
Top Bottom