Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Absolutely loved the demo. Final Fantasy 7 is one of my all time top 3 games and I had so much fun with the demo that I ended up playing through it 3 times just to learn more about the combat system and to appreciate how great a job they have done. One thing I will say about the combat system is for those people who don't like it that much... really learn it properly because the first time I fought the scorpion boss I nearly died and it took ages... the second time I fought it I did it easy and it took about half the amount of time. Using the square button to do your standard attacks is just a means to fill up your ATB gauge for your spells and special abilities. Don't think of square as your main attack or anything because it really doesn't do that much damage. Once you get used to the combat system it becomes so much easier and fun to control. use the L1 shortcut for quick access to spells and abilites. That makes a big difference. Soon as you stagger enemies switch over into punisher mode for higher damage and keep using your spells and abilities as soon as you get the chance. I would also recommend switching the combat lock on to free combat instead of the default. Makes it so much more fluid and easier to target people quickly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Absolutely loved the demo. Final Fantasy 7 is one of my all time top 3 games and I had so much fun with the demo that I ended up playing through it 3 times just to learn more about the combat system and to appreciate how great a job they have done. One thing I will say about the combat system is for those people who don't like it that much... really learn it properly because the first time I fought the scorpion boss I nearly died and it took ages... the second time I fought it I did it easy and it took about half the amount of time. Using the square button to do your standard attacks is just a means to fill up your ATB gauge for your spells and special abilities. Don't think of square as your main attack or anything because it really doesn't do that much damage. Once you get used to the combat system it becomes so much easier and fun to control. use the L1 shortcut for quick access to spells and abilites. That makes a big difference. Soon as you stagger enemies switch over into punisher mode for higher damage and keep using your spells and abilities as soon as you get the chance. I would also recommend switching the combat lock on to free combat instead of the default. Makes it so much more fluid and easier to target people quickly.
Basically my findings too. First time it took me ages to kill the boss. Did not come close to dying as had about 20 potions though so kept using those. Just took ages. By the 3rd time I played he was much easier and quicker to kill.

Associate

Ive passed on the demo because i played the EGX one and that was enough to keep me going until the full release tho i must say i am very tempted to download it tonight, does it have the train sequence? thats the thing i am avoiding seeing. Agree with what you have said about the combat, i did smash the Scorpion first attempt, Thunder works wonders on him. Bring on the full release.

Soldato
Ive passed on the demo because i played the EGX one and that was enough to keep me going until the full release tho i must say i am very tempted to download it tonight, does it have the train sequence? thats the thing i am avoiding seeing. Agree with what you have said about the combat, i did smash the Scorpion first attempt, Thunder works wonders on him. Bring on the full release.
Yes. It’s the start of the game right up to the scorpion boss and mako reactor explosion.

Soldato
I was blown away with the whole demo. And ff7 is the game I grew up with putting over 100 hours into, killing ruby and emerald etc. It’s my favourite (hence the sig :p )

I haven’t pre ordered but I’ll buy digital closer to the time.

Soldato
Was rather fancying pre-ordering a physical copy of this but considering 10th April is a bank holiday how would this work? Would I not get it until Sat 11th or Tues 14th or something.

Haven't bought a physical game for years. Would the disc perhaps arrive early but not allow unlocking or something.

Associate
Was rather fancying pre-ordering a physical copy of this but considering 10th April is a bank holiday how would this work? Would I not get it until Sat 11th or Tues 14th or something.

Haven't bought a physical game for years. Would the disc perhaps arrive early but not allow unlocking or something.

I've done click and collect so I can pick it up on release day

Soldato
I played the demo again and got on with the combat a but more so that was good, one bit I didn't like was revealing so early about Shinra's real intentions with the reactors iirc we don't find that out to a fair bit later in the original, felt a little jarring.

Associate
Don't really learn that the bomb technically did blow the control or the whole reactor up in original, but in the remake it shows shinra actually did it themselves which is interesting little twist.

Soldato
They showed that a little later in the game, not showed but told you that Shinra were actually out to wreck their own stuff, when you were told it was a surprise whereas this time round there's no reveal. Not game breaking just a little disappointing (IMO)

Associate
That little bit was slightly disappointing, I enjoyed the original game where it subtly fed you bits of information about how Avalanche were being used as a scapegoat for what Shinra were really doing until it finally all got revealed... though as I already know the entire story from playing it so much, I'm not finding it that big of a deal for it being revealed so early into the remake.

Associate
They showed that a little later in the game, not showed but told you that Shinra were actually out to wreck their own stuff, when you were told it was a surprise whereas this time round there's no reveal. Not game breaking just a little disappointing (IMO)
Oh don't really remember that part, need pay attention to the dialogue a lot more than I should when reading.

Soldato
Oh don't really remember that part, need pay attention to the dialogue a lot more than I should when reading.

I believe it's when you blow up the second reactor and it's actually ambush, Heidgar turns up and is bragging about fulfilling their aims and using Avalanche as a blame target for it.

Or it may be when the plate falls when he blames it on avalanche but yeah it's a little later toward end of Midgar section.

Soldato
Playing the demo just made me feel like I was in school again talking with my mates about the new wierd game FF7. It was unlike anything I'd ever played and changed my perception of what videogames could do.

Really looking forward to release, from what I've heard about the rest of the game it sounds brilliant, very dense and detailed. It's a shame it's episodic but I can understand given the size of the original. I just hope they don't take 3+ years before Part 2 comes out.

Back
Top Bottom