OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
OP
Reliving a nightmare currently.
My little girl had viral meningitis when she was six weeks old (now three) and now we going through it with out four week old little girl ☹️
Referred to pediatrics from the out of hours yesterday at local hospital and initially the senior doctor wasn't to concerned and just wanted to do blood tests but whilst there her temperature spiked so she was taken straight off for a lumber puncture and then a minimum 48 hours of antibiotics until they can tell what the spinal fluid cultures are doing.
Just spoken to wife and she had a bad night with her and they have said they think "something is brewing" as her temp went over 39 degrees in the night
Hope everything is okay dude. I know that helpless panic. My daughter once peaked over 40C and was lying on the sofa barely breathing. Awful. Hoping for a swift recovery!

Soldato
Reliving a nightmare currently.
My little girl had viral meningitis when she was six weeks old (now three) and now we going through it with out four week old little girl ☹️
Referred to pediatrics from the out of hours yesterday at local hospital and initially the senior doctor wasn't to concerned and just wanted to do blood tests but whilst there her temperature spiked so she was taken straight off for a lumber puncture and then a minimum 48 hours of antibiotics until they can tell what the spinal fluid cultures are doing.
Just spoken to wife and she had a bad night with her and they have said they think "something is brewing" as her temp went over 39 degrees in the night

Hope everything is ok.

We had a meningitis scare at 7 weeks and went through the lumber puncture/3 nights in hospital stuff but results came back clear. Based on how terrified we were and he was ultimately fine, I can't bear to imagine what it must be like to go through the real deal.

Ours is going through some weird teething ups and downs. Temperatures soaring to over 39°C, reaching 40.1°C at one point, but no other issues than chewing his fingers. Wakes up every 30 mins in the night crying but is easily settled and then completely fine the next day until his temperature starts to rise in the late afternoon.

He did say Mumma yesterday, so my wife is in bits today :D

Associate
2dIvYf7.jpg

The little wee man has arrived some over 3 weeks ago and what a stressful time it has been. 2 weeks paternity leave went by pretty quick and after the first day was done, the wife had to go back to hospital to get her gallbladder removed.
That was at the end of last week, so it was just me and the little one till wednesday when the mrs came back home. I don't know how single mums do it, i was pretty much a zombie for the duration the mrs was gone lol.
apart from that, he seems very behaved so far. :p

Soldato
OP
2dIvYf7.jpg

The little wee man has arrived some over 3 weeks ago and what a stressful time it has been. 2 weeks paternity leave went by pretty quick and after the first day was done, the wife had to go back to hospital to get her gallbladder removed.
That was at the end of last week, so it was just me and the little one till wednesday when the mrs came back home. I don't know how single mums do it, i was pretty much a zombie for the duration the mrs was gone lol.
Don't worry mate, you've nearly broken the back of it by now. He'll soon start waking up less in the night (by less I mean fewer times). It gets a bit easier before it starts getting harder

Associate
We’re at the 4 month waking up every hour phase (I hope it’s a phase?!). And just when we thought we’d got him into a good routine...

We're at the same phase, our little one has slept through the night since she was 3-4 weeks old and has truly spoilt us. The last 2 weeks she has truly ruined us, throw in my father in law passing away last week in to the mix (only 65) and we're both physically and emotionally drained at the moment :(

Soldato
I feel so lucky my twins (just hit 9 months today!) sleep through the night and have done for nearly 7 months. I would be a wreck otherwise. We just got really lucky with the routine, and it's stuck since then. Yeah, it's pretty much non-stop for the waking hours, but we agree we can live with that!

In other news, I start my shared parental leave in about 4 weeks time. Two months of just me looking after the pair of them! Time to see just how feeble I really am :D

Soldato
2dIvYf7.jpg

Try looking after twins, by yourself :D Never have I been so close to being broken in my life.

Soldato
I feel so lucky my twins (just hit 9 months today!) sleep through the night and have done for nearly 7 months. I would be a wreck otherwise. We just got really lucky with the routine, and it's stuck since then. Yeah, it's pretty much non-stop for the waking hours, but we agree we can live with that!

In other news, I start my shared parental leave in about 4 weeks time. Two months of just me looking after the pair of them! Time to see just how feeble I really am :D

Ah I remember you just having had the twins. Relentless isn't it :D Glad you've survived it so far.

Don't read my reply above...ignore it

Soldato
How do you guys moderate stuff like screen time and what healthy snacks do you go for? I've found my kids will demolish a pack of fig rolls and they're not too bad with fruit and veg, but im not sure what which are healthiest cereal bars to go for. I typically let them have a brunch bar or something like that once in a while. I realise this may get very polarising responses:p.

Soldato
OP
How do you guys moderate stuff like screen time and what healthy snacks do you go for? I've found my kids will demolish a pack of fig rolls and they're not too bad with fruit and veg, but im not sure what which are healthiest cereal bars to go for. I typically let them have a brunch bar or something like that once in a while. I realise this may get very polarising responses:p.
Screen time we just say when and then let her get the screaming out of her system. Obviously we prepare her a bit (I'm setting a timer for 5 mins and then you'll turn off your tablet etc) and most of the time it's grand and she just switches it off.

Snacks, I say if she's hungry after dinner she can have a banana. No snack snacks or she just eats less dinner knowing she can have snacks later. Boring but filling bananas only. During the day we're a bit more flexible, but bowls of chopped up fruit are our go to.

Soldato
Screen time we just say when and then let her get the screaming out of her system. Obviously we prepare her a bit (I'm setting a timer for 5 mins and then you'll turn off your tablet etc) and most of the time it's grand and she just switches it off.

Snacks, I say if she's hungry after dinner she can have a banana. No snack snacks or she just eats less dinner knowing she can have snacks later. Boring but filling bananas only. During the day we're a bit more flexible, but bowls of chopped up fruit are our go to.
My issue is my eldest (6) is quite easy to work with. As you say you give x amount of warning time (i typically let her finish the video she's watching, assuming its not too long), but with my son (3) hes not quite learnt thing like sharing or moderation as much as his sister. He does love bananas though, we stopped buying them a few weeks ago as they were going off really quickly.

Soldato
Ouch!

Our 20 month old is finalllllly walking! He started doing the odd step last night, then progressed more before bed, this morning he has done even better. I don't know why I'm so happy, I know how hard it is going to become now.

Our 25 month old is just getting the hang of standing himself up at the sofa and last night managed to shuffle along a little. He does amazingly well with only one hand, the stuff he can now holds with his feet/legs is astonishing.

Don
Our 25 month old is just getting the hang of standing himself up at the sofa and last night managed to shuffle along a little. He does amazingly well with only one hand, the stuff he can now holds with his feet/legs is astonishing.

Bless him, is there a post about why he only has the one hand? I must have missed it.

Soldato

You're the adult, dictate the amount of screen time. PERIOD.

Back
Top Bottom