Access Point

Caporegime
The quote you got isn't really an outlier. Yes people in this forum probably know how to set this stuff up, but you don't, which is why you're in here. Insurance, travel time, admin costs in terms of billing you on credit, public liability insurance etc. all eat that ~£330 pretty quickly. They're being very fair on the AP cost as well - and their plan of moving all the Wi-Fi to a new setup by installing two APs will give you a better roaming experience than just having one new AP in one area, and a wireless router handling the other.

Soldato
Any reason to go with the more expensive Draytek 903 over a cheaper Unifi?

UniFi needs a controller but the Draytek recommendation was purely from daily dealings and use.

...its just for clients to use wifi on their phones and a bit of laptop usage.

If the above is the use case then you obviously want to segregate external users/clients away from the company network rather than lumping everyone together, so keep that in mind during planning/setup.

But it’s not though, is it?

Of course isn't but then, the average 'client' usually thinks anything IT related should take "5 minutes" and cost a tuppence ha'penny :D

Associate
OP
No cables need pulling, everything is in place.

The quote and some of the replies are really overstating the importance of this job, and also seem to be presuming that your I am your average tech numpty. At the risk of sounding like a ******, I'm not, hence the interest in forums like this, and this is a 3 man family business not an SME with a definitive IT budget, but I appreciate I didn't make that clear.

There's a big difference between tuppence ha'penny and £800+ once the VAT is added - VAT which we cant claim back due to the industry in which we operate.

Thank you to everyone for your replies and time, it is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom