• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OCUK Ryzen 3900x bundle deal.

Soldato
Just a heads up, but not all H100i’s came with AM4 mounts and AIO coolers of that generation/OEM were often worse than air cooling.

Permabanned
OP
Just a heads up, but not all H100i’s came with AM4 mounts and AIO coolers of that generation/OEM were often worse than air cooling.

Yep, and after looking in the box it appears mine also didn't come with AM4 mounts - also missing the stem mounts.
So, I have opted for this air cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. It's got about a 44mm clearance from things like RAM, so should fit ok.

Soldato
I have said cooler, it's overkill (the TDP rating is getting on for 250w from memory) and RAM clearance can be problematic if you have for example got heat spreaders (it just clears my Trident Z).

Man of Honour
I have said cooler, it's overkill (the TDP rating is getting on for 250w from memory) and RAM clearance can be problematic if you have for example got heat spreaders (it just clears my Trident Z).
The Dark Rock Pro 4 is overkill for a 12 core 24 thread CPU? The quoted TDP of the 3900X is only at stock and one core boosting to max IIRC? It gets a lot hotter and juicier when pushed with PBO, auto or manual overclocking? Unless I've missed your point?

Permabanned
OP
Clearance could be a problem, the bundled ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 and they're 51mm tall, the cooler has 44mm clearance. I had been frantically googling to see if anyone had that specific ram + Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, and those that I did find all said that they simply moved the fan up just enough to clear the ram.
I can't see how it's overkill, the TDP of the 3900x is 105w, but I have seen some users say you can add another 150w on top as soon as you start pushing the chip, and using PBO.

Soldato
The Dark Rock Pro 4 is overkill for a 12 core 24 thread CPU? The quoted TDP of the 3900X is only at stock and one core boosting to max IIRC? It gets a lot hotter and juicier when pushed with PBO, auto or manual overclocking? Unless I've missed your point?

The cooler has a TDP of 250w, the chip has a stock TDP of 105w, even overclocking, the socket has a PPT of 140w (ish), in the simplest terms, that’s over 100w of headroom and most of it can’t be meaningfully used.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I use one on my 3600. Helps keep temps nice and low and nets me a nice overclock. Hardly ever needs ramp up fans so runs silent most of the time. Not a waste as far as I am concerned. Though in a future build I may get a slightly smaller cooler so I have full access to all 4 slots of ram as I may go rgb on ram for my next build in a few years.

Will be around the time I get a new case also. Had this one for 7 years now. Case market has moved on very little in terms of cooling performance. Even the front panels many cases still don’t have usb c and only offer usb 3 which my case has already. Kind of sad. Will probably get another 3 years out of it.

Back
Top Bottom