**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
Well first thoughts:
Pics
I'll do some later

Difference between 60hz and 120.
Night and day, seriously its insane, its one thing trying it in a shop but when its on your phone in your pocket its just mad, its so hard to quantify but it just contributes to the phone feeling fast so much its mad.

Battery
so far so good, will report later properly.

Bloat
Very minimal actually, One UI seems decent too but i just went straight back to Nova as i was before mainly out of habit
I am a heavy nova user and custom font ect ect. im wondering if i should give the one ui a go for a week but yea i normally go straight to nova lol

Got a text from EE saying my order will be delivered 10th 3 days before release for preordering early.

I just got that txt just now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
More first impressions from people who've received the phone please! Still no big site reviews of the non-Ultra models about.

Soldato
More first impressions from people who've received the phone please! Still no big site reviews of the non-Ultra models about.

Anything in particular you want to know? It's really hard to be anything other than really positive about it so far. Everything is running great and the 120hz screen is fantastic.

It really isn't the weather to try and get any great pics at the moment up here but the selfie quality is good for sure.

Soldato
Just looking for general opinions on the devices. There's little info on the s20 vanilla camera performance, so maybe impressions from people moving from the S10 series.

I'd also like a few screen on time examples as well, though it's probably a little early for many of those :)

It would be disappointing if people were talking about 4hrs sot on the s20 or plus.

Soldato
Just looking for general opinions on the devices. There's little info on the s20 vanilla camera performance, so maybe impressions from people moving from the S10 series.

I'd also like a few screen on time examples as well, though it's probably a little early for many of those :)

It would be disappointing if people were talking about 4hrs sot on the s20 or plus.

I think for screen on at 120hz you probably will be looking at 4hrs. Going to take a bit of time to get some proper numbers on that though however I'm hoping to run it as a typical day tomorrow and see how it goes.

Soldato
I used to get about 7 hours SoT at 90hz on my OP 7T Pro, so I'd hope to get similar from the s20, though my usage is fairly sympathetic to phone batteries.

Soldato
Interested to hear your thoughts on it. Are you looking to use it as your daily driver with all your Mac gear?

Yes, very much so. I switched to a Note 10 + 5G out of curiosity more than anything after having to run an S10+ for a bit as I broke my iPhone while travelling. Now I also have an iPhone 11 Pro. It wasn't a terrible experience. Not as good as the 11 Pro, but not terrible enough to make me swap back if that makes sense.

This Ultra though. With a leather case on it it feels as class & well made as the 11 Pro does, and in fact doesn't feel that different tbh. So far though the screen - it's utterly joyous, especially with the 120hz turned on. It's the first Android product I've used that feels like the finished product (don't hurt me!) rather than something slightly knocked together. Just to give that some context before I get shouted at - I'm not massively interested in phones, but am in the fortunate position to be able to pretty much choose whatever I like to use, and to be able to swap. This Ultra feels complete if that makes sense.

As quick side-note, I know they say there's no difference in the ultrasonic sensor for the fingerprint thing, but the one on the ultra is a ton more accurate (so far) than the note. I've had far fewer unlock re-attempts.

Battery life with 120Hz & 5G turned on means late evening I'm looking for a charger, but then I think a lot of that is that 5G here (In Sydney Aus at the minute) is patchy. If I turn off either 5G or the 120Hz I don't really notice the battery difference with the Note 10+, and given that 5G is so patchy here anyway it's no drama to leave it off. Will be interesting to see what it's like in London where the 5G coverage is better (where I live anyway).

Integration with the Mac is better than you'd imagine. WhatsApp works, DeX is brilliant. I even have iMessage working albeit to/from an email address. I've a strange setup of Google Photos & Apple Photos at the minute, but can see me switching to Google Photos.

Unless the iPhone 12 takes a big step up I can't see me swapping back tbh, whereas on the Note 10+ it was more a question of when I'd move my daily stuff back to the '11.

Current exchange rate puts the 128Gb Ultra at about 930-950 quid I think?

Associate
Samsung Ireland advised me my Ultra is delayed due to a component shortage and will ship on 16th March if there's no further delays which doesn't sound promising

Back
Top Bottom