*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
What do you guys use in the bottom of your smokers to catch the drips?
I put together a UDS and it's a nightmare to clean out.

I have a WSM so have a big metal pan in there underneath the grates. I managed to find a massive terracotta dish that fits in the pan though, so I use that instead of water and when I'm done I just bung it in the dishwasher.

The pork tinga looks godly. What gear to I need to make that on the Weber kettle?

Just a big cast iron pot and a raised grate to go over it for the meat to sit on while it smokes. I've got the meat sitting in my freezer ready for me to have a free Sunday so I can give it a crack! :)

I treated myself to a Vortex last week so got around to giving that a test run last night with some wings. I kept it simple for the first go with wings soaked in buttermilk over night and a garlic and onion rub. I've found some other ideas for future use so looking forward to trying those out.

9Yoxdrsl.jpg

Soldato
does anyone here use one of the offset smokers? I quite fancy getting one as they seem pretty versatile in what you can get out of them but just wondered if anyone has experience of them...
I've used a fairly cheap and cheerful one and it did the job quite nicely but it rather depends on your budget, you need to spend a fair amount to get one that is made of nice thick metal, seals nicely with no leaks; otherwise you'll need to do some smoke tests and fix up any leaks with aluminium tape or similar.

Soldato
I've used a fairly cheap and cheerful one and it did the job quite nicely but it rather depends on your budget, you need to spend a fair amount to get one that is made of nice thick metal, seals nicely with no leaks; otherwise you'll need to do some smoke tests and fix up any leaks with aluminium tape or similar.

I'll definitely be out with the tape then! :D

Soldato
Would have thought there'd be a bit more content in here what with everyone staying at home and this good weather!

I've had a 2kg pork shoulder on since 8.45am, temps varying between 230 and 270 but it's still 182F. Thought I'd beaten the stall (it was at 165F for over two hours) but seems like I'm having a second at the 180ish mark. Just wrapped it in foil - bark didn't look quite complete but time is ticking, so hoping it'll get a move on now.

Here it is 5.5 hours in

IMG-20200325-145239.jpg

Associate
That looks great. I did one on Sunday with some beef short ribs, but now locked down I'm on my own, so not really sure what to do :(

Other than not be a d!ck and be outside in a park having one like some people have being. Humanity!

Soldato
Can't beat short ribs, can still make them on your own can't you? Or a rack of ribs is easily polished off solo.

At 196F now, tempted to throw it in the oven because I hate not reaching 203F and it being tough. Cooker is at 244, it's cooled down a bit now the sun is no longer on it and it's a bit late to add fuel now. As always, I wish I'd started an hour earlier. Every time!

Edit:

Turned out great, I think getting to 195 all over then resting for an hour is actually good enough, you don't really need to get to 203F, only if you want to be ready to pull it straight away. I think it takes time for the collagen to melt.

Was happy with the bark, not the best ever but decent enough. Not full coverage but great where it was. I think I was quite slap dash with the rub. It was super juicy inside, no bbq sauce needed even. Picture doesn't capture it really, but it was probably top 2 ever juicy/tender pork shoulders I've done out of 10 or 12 or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would have thought there'd be a bit more content in here what with everyone staying at home and this good weather!

I think BBQing is the only thing that's going to get me through this! That looks like a nice piece of pork. :)

I fired up the smoker for some Mexican Pork Tinga today. Just a shame I feel like crap and can't actually taste or smell any of it at the moment, good job I've got a decent batch in the freezer to keep me going now.

sMjtZQ7.jpg

bPYpbr1.jpg 4ZYCxtJ.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That pork looks unreal!

My wife dropped a hint she might look into getting me a Kamado for my 30th which is in July. Cue me spending endless hours browsing different models. Looks to me like the Kamado Joe Classic II is the sweet spot of value looking at full size Kamados but not sure if I want to even let her spend that much, and whether I'd be better off getting maybe upgrading my callow smoker for a ProQ (300 quid) and my current barrel type grill for a weber 57cm kettle (~150 quid) for a total outlay of 450 to upgrade nicely over my aging existing gear.

Compare to the KJ which is 1400. The ProQ and weber would probably give me more flexibility and of course overall cooking space, but the KJ is just so nice, will last forever and be very fuel efficient. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking at exactly the same thing yesterday and was vetoed from spending that much on a BBQ right away. I'd love a Kamado, but have no real need for one as my WSM and MT cover everything I do. They do look sexy though. My next purchase was going to be a fan controller for the WSM but I need to decide which one I want.

Soldato
Haha it is a bit of a ridiculous price. Perhaps just about doable if I get wife, parents and everyone else who I can convince I'm worth it to pitch in for my 30th.

I wonder about pellet smoker too but to me I feel like a major part of why I like smoking is the challenge, and a pellet smoker just seems like cheating to me.

Soldato
@Street - BBQ Vortex - yet another BBQ gadget that I never knew I needed but now want! How long are your chicken wings taking to cook in that? I have to say I think some Jerk chicken thighs using this method would be insane. What wood are you using in the middle? Lump of 2x4 from B&Q yeah?

Got the pizza oven out and did a really casual pizza night on Saturday. The lack of effort paid off and we got the best results out of the Uuni that we've ever managed I think. Luckily we've got the same amount of dough frozen down for round 2!

Bring on spring!

Soldato
@Street - BBQ Vortex - yet another BBQ gadget that I never knew I needed but now want! How long are your chicken wings taking to cook in that? I have to say I think some Jerk chicken thighs using this method would be insane. What wood are you using in the middle? Lump of 2x4 from B&Q yeah?

I'm doing round two with the Vortex tonight. Trying out a different recipe this time! I gave them 45mins last time but I think an extra 5 minutes would have made them crispier. I just wanted to get them off as the tips were burning. This time round I'm going to split them into drumette and wing and cut the tips off. I filled it with charcoal and got it going with both vents open, the lid thermometer was reading about 270C and I put a piece of hickory over the top of it when I'd got the chicken on.

Lump of 2x4 from B&Q yeah?

If only! I've got loads of spare wood in the garage from doing the house up that I'm not using for anything.

Soldato
Enjoyed the video, still not getting the rationale behind foiling the ribs from the start though? Not like you were in a hurry to cook them? And as much as I want to take your word for it, it doesn't really make sense that the smoke will penetrate just as much?

Definitely stealing that broccoli salad idea, looks like a great complement to the sticky sweet pork.

Soldato
@Street - I’ve got some of the coal separators somewhere, but I presume the advantages of this are a more even heat and also a more intense heat source?

I got those with my BBQ and I've only used them a couple times but the Vortex definitely seems to get much hotter. I need to try searing a steak on it as the heat is crazy over the middle.

Last night I split the wings and removed the tips, then put them in a bag with flour, baking powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper and gave them a shake. 50mins on the BBQ with a chunk of hickory and they were fantastically crispy. Much better than my first attempt. When they were done, I tossed them with some BBQ sauce to serve.

U1PFMvo.jpg

5x3DFQk.jpg

Soldato
Enjoyed the video, still not getting the rationale behind foiling the ribs from the start though? Not like you were in a hurry to cook them? And as much as I want to take your word for it, it doesn't really make sense that the smoke will penetrate just as much?
You'd think that the smoke doesn't penetrate but it really does. Never had a non smoky rib and always get a good smoke ring! Always done it that way, but don't discount other peoples' opinions. Many ways to skin a cat :D

That salad is a BBQ staple over here! Love it. Raw broccoli (yep, raw), lardons, red onion, pine nuts and mayo!

^^^ Those wing tips look amazing!! Will have to try that!

Back
Top Bottom