**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Permabanned
Yes, very much so. I switched to a Note 10 + 5G out of curiosity more than anything after having to run an S10+ for a bit as I broke my iPhone while travelling. Now I also have an iPhone 11 Pro. It wasn't a terrible experience. Not as good as the 11 Pro, but not terrible enough to make me swap back if that makes sense.

This Ultra though. With a leather case on it it feels as class & well made as the 11 Pro does, and in fact doesn't feel that different tbh. So far though the screen - it's utterly joyous, especially with the 120hz turned on. It's the first Android product I've used that feels like the finished product (don't hurt me!) rather than something slightly knocked together. Just to give that some context before I get shouted at - I'm not massively interested in phones, but am in the fortunate position to be able to pretty much choose whatever I like to use, and to be able to swap. This Ultra feels complete if that makes sense.

As quick side-note, I know they say there's no difference in the ultrasonic sensor for the fingerprint thing, but the one on the ultra is a ton more accurate (so far) than the note. I've had far fewer unlock re-attempts.

Battery life with 120Hz & 5G turned on means late evening I'm looking for a charger, but then I think a lot of that is that 5G here (In Sydney Aus at the minute) is patchy. If I turn off either 5G or the 120Hz I don't really notice the battery difference with the Note 10+, and given that 5G is so patchy here anyway it's no drama to leave it off. Will be interesting to see what it's like in London where the 5G coverage is better (where I live anyway).

Integration with the Mac is better than you'd imagine. WhatsApp works, DeX is brilliant. I even have iMessage working albeit to/from an email address. I've a strange setup of Google Photos & Apple Photos at the minute, but can see me switching to Google Photos.

Unless the iPhone 12 takes a big step up I can't see me swapping back tbh, whereas on the Note 10+ it was more a question of when I'd move my daily stuff back to the '11.

Current exchange rate puts the 128Gb Ultra at about 930-950 quid I think?

That’s great thanks, I’m in Perth at the moment! Have you found a way to switch WhatsApp backups over from iOS to Android? My biggest problem is finding a good Apple Watch and AirPods Pro replacement.

Soldato
That’s great thanks, I’m in Perth at the moment! Have you found a way to switch WhatsApp backups over from iOS to Android? My biggest problem is finding a good Apple Watch and AirPods Pro replacement.
Should just be a case of doing a backup of WhatsApp on your iPhone and registering your number on WhatsApp on your Android device and syncing a backup.

Soldato
Should just be a case of doing a backup of WhatsApp on your iPhone and registering your number on WhatsApp on your Android device and syncing a backup.
No as far as I'm aware iPhone syncs to icloud and Samsung syncs to Google cloud. So it won't see the iPhone backup to be able to restore it or vice versa.

Soldato
No as far as I'm aware iPhone syncs to icloud and Samsung syncs to Google cloud. So it won't see the iPhone backup to be able to restore it or vice versa.
Oh yeah, there are apps for it though.

I did it when I went from my iPhone 10 to a Samsung S9 and then back to the iPhone 11 Pro.

I’ll find the app in the morning.

Soldato
Oh yeah, there are apps for it though.

I did it when I went from my iPhone 10 to a Samsung S9 and then back to the iPhone 11 Pro.

I’ll find the app in the morning.
Ah nice! That's cool to know!

Drop a link please. I have no intention of going to iPhone lol but useful to know still to help others

Soldato

Sorry, no, I didn't do that. I don't have a lot in my WhatsApp tbh.

I use the Sennheiser Momentum Earbud things for the most part.

Soldato
When I spoke with Samsung they say they have dispatched it, looks like they have disappeared in to a big black hole somewhere. All we can hope for now is they reappear and we get them tomorrow.

They told me the same yesterday,nearly 2 days later,
My order is still stuck at "We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel".

So I expect that:
1: I wont be getting the handset today, tomorrow or even this week now as the shortages being reported already.
2: There is some dodgy shenanigans happening somewhere internally as I have 2 colleagues in completely different parts of the country reporting exactly the same thing as me.

I work in eCommerce logistics and deal with DPD on daily basis so I have asked our account manager to have a look into this for me as I'm now curious as to what Samsung have done here.
It's quite clear to me that some handsets have either not left the warehouse or never made it to DPD's central hub. We ship around 25k parcels with DPD everyday and have very few problems in this area, issues with DPD are nearly always the last mile deliveries or invoicing and pickup to hub is pretty solid in terms of process, data and info.

At the same time Samsung Customer services will have no clue on this by the sounds of the of conversations I have had with them are on the other side of the planet so they will only know what their IT system advises unless they call the warehouse operation. In that case if they have messed up somehwere I expect they would be given total bullpoo info by the warehouse anyway.

Associate
Think EE demand is very high. Am now expecting to hear a delay in me getting my phone.

I just checked my oder mine has changed from being "expected delivery on the 10th" to "awaiting confirmation" So think my order/delivery is defiantly delayed. Even though the part at the bottom still says "dispatch expected in the next 24 hours" ....Just my luck

Associate
They told me the same yesterday,nearly 2 days later,
My order is still stuck at "We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel".

So I expect that:
1: I wont be getting the handset today, tomorrow or even this week now as the shortages being reported already.
2: There is some dodgy shenanigans happening somewhere internally as I have 2 colleagues in completely different parts of the country reporting exactly the same thing as me.

I work in eCommerce logistics and deal with DPD on daily basis so I have asked our account manager to have a look into this for me as I'm now curious as to what Samsung have done here.
It's quite clear to me that some handsets have either not left the warehouse or never made it to DPD's central hub. We ship around 25k parcels with DPD everyday and have very few problems in this area, issues with DPD are nearly always the last mile deliveries or invoicing and pickup to hub is pretty solid in terms of process, data and info.

At the same time Samsung Customer services will have no clue on this by the sounds of the of conversations I have had with them are on the other side of the planet so they will only know what their IT system advises unless they call the warehouse operation. In that case if they have messed up somehwere I expect they would be given total bullpoo info by the warehouse anyway.

Last night DPD tracking suddenly showed my parcel as being at Hub 4, now this morning it's at my local depot, suppose that is something. Fingers crossed it is delivered today. The depot is only about 2 miles from home so worse case I could go and collect it.
It's just frustrating as it's the one thing I've really been looking forward to getting. Fingers crossed you get yours sorted soon buddy.

Back
Top Bottom