Anyone lost interest in performance heatsink paste?

Soldato
Something i've been noticing more recently online are people saying that they will just use what ever paste comes with the cooler for their next build or heatsink remounts?

So wondered if any OCUK users have lost interest in the extra expense?

Permabanned
Expense is pretty minimal imo. A tube of "decent" stuff generally lasts ages as well. Unless you are changing things often.

Granted the temperature differences are often small but they are there.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and won't use anything else until something better comes along in paste form. The price is reasonable and considering how long a tube lasts the price isn't worth thinking about.

Absolutely this. I had a tube of AS5 that lasted years, a tube of TGK finally replaced it and should see me through another few rebuilds yet.

Caporegime
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and won't use anything else until something better comes along in paste form. The price is reasonable and considering how long a tube lasts the price isn't worth thinking about.

I use this but I buy the small tube every time I build a new PC however last time I looked at tests and I noticed I had acquired about 5 different pastes from various coolers, etc. One of them reviewed highly and another 2 did very well and one was okay.

I think in the grand scheme of things if you buy a decent cooler you get decent paste with it.

So from now on I'll just use what comes with it.

Man of Honour
It has never really bothered me - properly applied most of the good pastes really aren't within a huge difference of each other and I'd rather use a proven long term paste than the next big shouty thing that manages to shave 1-2C off in a review.

Soldato
It depends.

I'll generally just use whatever paste the heatsink comes with, unless you're trying to solve a temperature problem or overclocking to the max the temp difference is generally irrelevant. Given the tiny amount you get with a HSF however, I end up buying a tube of the stuff at some point simply due to reapplying down the line or upgrading.

Soldato
I've used all sorts of heatsink compound over the years but only really bought Arctic silver and Ceramique. I no longer worry about it. A degree here or there...doesn't bother me.

Soldato
Any of you guys tried thermal grizzly
Carbonaut thermal pads?
No worries about what method to apply unlike paste
No mess or need for cleaning cpu
Reusable and doesn't dry out
Probably not ideal for heavy overclocking
And is conductive but shouldn't be applying it with power to the board anyway
But still it looks interesting
Roughly comparable to mx4 from few reviews I read

Soldato
Any of you guys tried thermal grizzly
Carbonaut thermal pads?
No worries about what method to apply unlike paste
No mess or need for cleaning cpu
Reusable and doesn't dry out
Probably not ideal for heavy overclocking
And is conductive but shouldn't be applying it with power to the board anyway
But still it looks interesting
Roughly comparable to mx4 from few reviews I read

While the thermal properties can be better than thermal paste, you just cant produce it as thin as applied thermal paste. The amount of pressure required to compress it to match a top end paste would probably snap the board.

Soldato
I grabbed a mighty tube of paste from China, recommended by Tech Yes City chappy. Works fine and was about £6 for a huge tube. Lost interest absolutely.

Associate
While the thermal properties can be better than thermal paste, you just cant produce it as thin as applied thermal paste. The amount of pressure required to compress it to match a top end paste would probably snap the board.

Could work well with a flattened IHS and cooler I guess.

Soldato
I've always used aftermarket thermal compound. However I tend not to upgrade components like I used to.

For example, I watercooled my 1080ti 3 years ago, the block etc hasn't been off since. Temps are the same as when I first applied it.

CPU hasn't been redone for 2 years+

I find as long as it's been applied correctly theres no need to keep replacing it every few months.

Back
Top Bottom